Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Any Interest In Starting A Pinball Translite Collection?.

Autosteve

Would this be something that could make our forum better?.

Anyone with a backglass or translite in good condition takes a good picture of it and that becomes the stored image for others to use in the event of either a broken, damaged backglass or lost, damaged translite.

This image could then be printed professionally to form a translite and keep that pinball going all be it a clear glass and translite rather than the original and probably extremely hard to get backglass.

Some of you guys have some amazing good condition backglasses and this idea would be a way to preserve a lot of machines.

I'm not real sure if Trademarks or patents would get in the way, that is why I'm asking if this would be a good idea.

Anyone have any thoughts?.

Have you ever copied a DVD, saved a song then transferred it to a CD :)

You have a great idea and quite workable as long as you have the equipment to reproduce.

A lot of folks would be interested, its the high res image that's the problem to get, but where do you stop decals/stencils would be next on the list.

I'd of thought the protection, trademarks, patents etc would have expired by now on a lot of the 60-70-80 Williams Bally Stern stuff myself.

Most have a max life of 30 years when issued in the US but there may be someone renewing them as they expire.

Gottlieb a different story. I'm pretty sure they do keep rolling over the patents at a substantial cost to them to maintain.

There are companies that still own all the copyrights to the old Williams, Bally, etc stuff.

Even if that was not the case, I'd argue that the artwork of a backglass would be covered by the normal art copyright time which is "lifetime of the artist plus 70 years".

It's not like your selling them, no different to a manual, or a scan of a plastic or a play field. I remember Bumper Action selling mega size prints of back glasses on a commercial basis. I say go for it its a great idea.

Has not stopped retrorefurbs.com (?) Doing cabinet art

@OP there is no law stopping you from taking pictures of your games and posting them for everyone's admiration

yes it has pete they finally got him... it was listed on FB the other day

now fb disabled.. BW stuff gone from https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-cabinet-decals/ ..

Geez, it took em' a while......... RR were selling BW stuff for ages.

Any penalty involved that you know of or just told to cease selling?

being civil no doubt they just found a way to make it too hard for them.

Pretty sure their own ego and big mouth didnt help though .. they shoulda kept quiet but no no.

instead they had to make war with @Ballypinball on pinside.. had to brag .. had to be heroes..

didnt work out so good really..

anything you can share uncle wayne?

Keep me out of it

Laws are laws regardless of what people may wish

remember the hobby is someone's business who paid a lot for it.

I'll agree with that but if it's something that they're not doing or refuse to do then they should really sell that part of the business by the looks of things RR were prying a few people out. If whomever has the rights won't make a product then people are going to try and make that product to get things up to how they want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but the 3rd party rights owners / movie studios are not interested then it won't get made

PPS can only make what they are licensed to make, licenses only last 2 years, aka stern pirates and now jjp pirates for example

It is a harsh reality I guess so what do you do...

Make it yourself no problem, just can't sell it

I know it cost PPS and Williams asset owners over 80k in legal fees to chase international sellers

Remember that is included in your remake game and parts prices they charge

Lucky I didn't get a remake game :lol still wouldn't mind a MMR though. But Houdini looks interesting