Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Atari Pong PCB Reproduction

But I like Kaizen...

Kaizen is a Japanese business philosophy of continuous improvement of working practices, personal efficiency, etc.

Cool, yeah, just sayin, you're fearless in your persuits. :)

Keep up the good work!

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back on this again and have redrawn the schematic using EasyEDA

I'm having some issues with netlist errors on VCC and GND and was hoping someone coud take a look for me and see whats going on.

mVsAjyM.jpg

I've spent a couple of hours trying to work out what's going on and i think it's got to do with the hidden pins on the IC's in the component libraries.

Link to schematic PDF...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KEXO0loLcaXhgoj64mUJphh9GQg5mml5

I've downloaded the Project file which I can send a link to for anyone who'd like to take a look for me.

Also not sure if the 44 Pin edge connector component/footprint is good. @Frank_fjs...

• 2 weeks later...

I've started drawing up the PCB using EasyEDA, I didn't bother with converting the schematic to a PCB this time as I found the redrawn schematic done by Dan Boris in 2006/2007 (Link Here) had a number of errors on it, instead I'm copying the tracks on the PCB one by one.

Schematic errors...

YFIBMaH.jpg

iQeoAL7.jpg

MRg5AZF.jpg

XF6wKaf.jpg

pmMNH6u.jpg

7vsT5HI.jpg

TzANzAu.jpg

V557jQz.jpg

LkGfm9n.jpg

w5JjYJD.jpg

LE2FxBL.jpg

JLaBmVO.jpg

RBs8udW.jpg

Mi0E6Bp.jpg

pItcVk9.jpg

xw0ucED.jpg

sWdiVKE.jpg

dnwbR7N.jpg

I did however, name most of the pins to create nets on the board and each trace is drawn by hand as close as possible to the original PCB.

ne6gQbk.jpg

I'd say I'm about 1/4 of the way there and I work on it for a couple hours each night so it'll be a little while before I'm done.

Side by side comparison to the original PCB...

0qawBtY.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

PCB layout done and checked for errors, boards ordered and should arrive in a few days.

I build one up and debug if necessary before doing a small run of boards.

z5U8stz.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

That's quite a project! Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Not meaning to nitpick, but if you want to go over it and tweak it a little, I'd suggest ensuring all traces are at 45 degree angles where applicable.

The original PCB had curved traces on the top layer so I tried to copy that but for the next revision I want to do I'll definitely follow your suggestion.

I plan to do a revision which will use LS IC's and have some of the bugs in the original game fixed.

Another thing I want to do is make a version that displays correctly on PAL TV's, I have no idea how to do this at the moment so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh that's fine, I was more referring to:

Look extreme bottom right, green layer, count back two vias / holes, see that green trace that runs upwards and to the left? That isn't optimal at that odd angle, should route it along the lines of go straight up from bottom hole for a short length, then angle back 45 degrees to upper hole.

Q7UMwUO.jpg

From what I understand there was more than one person working on the layout for the PCB and it looks like whoever did the top layer liked to use curves where the trace above is pretty much the only curve on the bottom layer.

The JLCPCB Gerber Viewer certainly didn't like the curves, the board should print correctly though.

VEpzZhp.jpg

• 1 month later...

A mate in the US has been helping me tweak the PCB, he's just had the boards arrive from the latest revision and they look awesome.

lgofud9.jpg

WpMBug8.jpg

T0s1bFb.jpg

He's currently assembling the board and if there's no errors I'll put an order through with JLCPCB.

If anyone wants a PCB let me know via PM.

I finally managed to find an original PCB, turns out Kev from kfe.com.au had one but it looks like it has the Super Pong mod done (four directional analogue joysticks).

I'll document the mods before returning it back to original.

QRjq1Tx.jpg

C8NCsSI.jpg

Edited by Kaizen
  • Like 1

The original Pong PCB has been stripped of mods, all ICs that had their pins clipped for mods have been replaced with working vintage TTL chips and there was a number of other chips that were faulty and had to be replace, all up 21 chips and 40+ trace repairs.

j5qjPqg.jpg

fPyNXmF.jpg

PCB is now fully working...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...