Thread: Atari Pong PCB Reproduction

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

Atari Pong PCB Reproduction

For the last 6 months I've been researching and planning to make a reproduction of the original Atari Pong PCB and thought I'd share my progress.

Original Atari/Syzygy Revision 'E' PCB

I've repaired a few Pong clones and have become reasonably familiar with the schematic layout.
    There are a few newer versions of the schematic available on PDF but they are all on a 16 page layout.
    I wanted firstly to reproduce the original schematic on one sheet then produce a PCB layout from that.
    One of the biggest challenges is not having an original PCB in front of me to ensure the dimensions are correct and the layout is perfect.
    A KLOV member is measuring his PCB for me and I should have exact dimensions next week.
    I've found a great scan of an unpopulated PCB which prints close to the original size (I placed an IC over the holes and it matched almost perfectly) I've been working off that for the layout and confirming traces.

I did a quick layout in Free PCB a few weeks ago but have since moved to Design Spark and will redo it later when I've completed the schematic layout.

16 page Pong Schematic PDF...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cg...K6KS_eSIas7LqC

Original schematic broken down into sections...

I've completed about 30% of the schematic so far.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gA...8BJ3joi8pSpR6e

To make it easier to read, I printed the original schematic onto A1 paper at Officeworks.

I've never used PCB design software before so the layout isn't perfect but as long as it works, that's good enough for me.
    I'll more than likely do two versions, the first will be a 1:1 reproduction and the second will fix the 6 bugs in the original design and possibly not include the AC rectification/regulation components or have a couple of jumpers to bypass it and run directly off +5vDC.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

The initial work on drawing up the schematic is done, There's still plenty of tweaks and adjustments left to do.

Last edited by Kaizen; 9th March 2018 at 06:08 AM.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

Atari Pong PCB Reproduction

Have you thought about implementing it in an FPGA?

Love this project BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

Yeah I've looked into that as well.
    There have been a few people who had a go but nothing I can find is the same as the original.

Does anyone here use Design Spark PCB?
    If so I could do with some help locating a 7450 in the library. I've substituted a 74LS51 for the time being.
    Last edited by Kaizen; 3rd August 2019 at 12:01 AM.

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    548 Post(s)
    I'm using FreePCB but wanted to try Design Spark. Hard for me as no NBN here and design spark requires online activation.

I tend to create my own footprints. Not hard to do and ensures it's done properly.
    SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
    PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
    Yeah I've looked into that as well.
    There have been a few people who had a go but nothing I can find is the same as the original.

Does anyone here use Design Spark PCB?
    If so I could do with some help locating a 74LS50 in the library. I've substituted a 74LS51 for the time being.
    Use the component wizard to change a similar item to the one you want.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

Cheers mate, the 74LS51 is easy enough to modify.
    I'll have a go at it tonight.
    Is there an edge connector in the library anywhere?

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    I hope this helps. I also hope they show in the right order.

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

That's perfect, thanks Trev.

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
    That's perfect, thanks Trev.
    You're welcome.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information