Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New (ish) FB group for Vp new releases and news

https://www.facebook.com/laylowsvpn/

A breath of fresh air in the VP social media world.

I left the old group VP Addicts, just too much BS and too many attitudes on display, and not enough meat and potatoes.

Looks like the founder of VPA also left the group for the same reasons, and started this new group about a month or so back.

Just new releases, WIP's, and general news - without the DRAMA. It's worth following if you're on FB. And if you're not (like me) just create a bogus FB account so you can use the group resources :)

• Administrators

I don't understand using FB Groups for this sort of stuff. It's the worst medium for sharing content consistently in an orderly fashion and "social" interaction is at the whim of members, layout and the way facebook might deliver some content.

Brad

I don't understand using FB Groups for this sort of stuff. It's the worst medium for sharing content consistently in an orderly fashion and "social" interaction is at the whim of members, layout and the way facebook might deliver some content.

Brad

Forums are better for straight information threads and sticky type posts, I agree. But nowadays, many more people use social media than forums (it's not even close) so you get more information faster.

Specifically for VP, since I've been using social media for it in the last 12 months - I've found I get a lot more information and links, downloads, and news for VP much faster from Social media than Forums.

The main issue with using Social media groups is when they become too big (like VP Addicts did) information gets harder and harder to retain.

But that is the main reason for this thread - this new group is a strict follow-type group where information is presented precisely without thousands of other posts from rambling users.

That's a big difference from a normal all-in-brawl type community.

• Administrators
Forums are better for straight information threads and sticky type posts, I agree. But nowadays, many more people use social media than forums (it's not even close) so you get more information faster.

Specifically for VP, since I've been using social media for it in the last 12 months - I've found I get a lot more information and links, downloads, and news for VP much faster from Social media than Forums.

The main issue with using Social media groups is when they become too big (like VP Addicts did) information gets harder and harder to retain.

But that is the main reason for this thread - this new group is a strict follow-type group where information is presented precisely without thousands of other posts from rambling users.

That's a big difference from a normal all-in-brawl type community.

Well social media is popular because there are no overheads, anybody and their dog can start a group.

My problem with FB is its its impossible for me to find an old post without scrolling for 5 mins down the page where as a traditional forum is an archive and easily searched.

Back in the old days when somebody posted a link to their site on AA we'd get a returning link back. People don't seem to batter an eyelid using AA to promote their sites and diverting discussion somewhere else.

One things for certain social media is here to stay.

:rant:

My problem with FB is its its impossible for me to find an old post without scrolling for 5 mins down the page where as a traditional forum is an archive and easily searched.

Yeah, as i mentioned earlier that's the problem when groups get too large. Everything just scrolls off the page so quickly in FB. That's why this new vp group is much better, only one guy posting links, new games, and news. I'm really only interested in new releases of games and backglasses.

Every group does have a search function for finding specific content / posts though.

- - - Updated - - -

not even close

(ex moderator of a VP forum)

(and I did not get the worst of it)

I have seen so many pinball threads over the years right here on AA go right off the rails and have to get shut down.

I'm not saying there isn't drama in VP cause there is plenty, especially on VPF.

But if you compare the drama queens of the Pinball worlds, real or virtual, to what happens in Arcade ? There is no comparison.

Arcade is like fluffy-bunny-friendly world compared to Pinball.

I have to agree.

As convenient as it may seem to sit on FB and watch the information flow, you have to wade through a stream of uninformed BS as well. At the moment the VP Addicts group seems to be ruled by one particular person and although he is well meaning and appears to go the extra yard to help people, by the same token he is steering people toward a particular formula because that's what he has chosen to do. So in a similar way to purists saying that you have to use a CRT to make a "real" arcade cabinet, this guy is crapping on about going 4K so you need this monitor, that GPU, etc etc and it's simply not true - there are plenty of different ways to put together a VPin but to mention it there you get beaten down!

At least on forums you can create a thread and keep coming back to see how things are going. Good luck doing that on FB.

Having said that, thanks @Jed for sharing that new group as it does look like a convenient way to keep on top of what's new in the scene.

In the meantime, let's all ensure we keep posting here at AA to help generate more traffic and more interest in the hobby.:cool:

Drama and vp go together for some reason . Has been like this for over a decade. If you think there is drama on the forums it gets alot worse behind the scenes. There is alot of spite. It's sad cause in the end I just got sick of hearing it and bailed just when the actual software the community was based on started getting interesting.

There has been many great authors of tables over the years that have come and gone. everyone gets burnt out by the dramas eventually

• Administrators
I have to agree.

As convenient as it may seem to sit on FB and watch the information flow, you have to wade through a stream of uninformed BS as well. At the moment the VP Addicts group seems to be ruled by one particular person and although he is well meaning and appears to go the extra yard to help people, by the same token he is steering people toward a particular formula because that's what he has chosen to do. So in a similar way to purists saying that you have to use a CRT to make a "real" arcade cabinet, this guy is crapping on about going 4K so you need this monitor, that GPU, etc etc and it's simply not true - there are plenty of different ways to put together a VPin but to mention it there you get beaten down!

At least on forums you can create a thread and keep coming back to see how things are going. Good luck doing that on FB.

Having said that, thanks @Jed for sharing that new group as it does look like a convenient way to keep on top of what's new in the scene.

In the meantime, let's all ensure we keep posting here at AA to help generate more traffic and more interest in the hobby.:cool:

Thanks mate.

I'm sure with VP there's a lot of discussion about piracy etc. I like the idea of original tables being made, I think that's where it would shine.

historically most of the stuff i have posted on AA for VP, tables, news etc i found on social media roundup groups. I think it's useful to use all platforms for data, and get the full picture. I always share on AA cause i know a lot of older people could not be arsed with facebook. (That's where having an alias comes in. Same as people on AA use an Alias.)

Far as original tables go...some are good, but most have bugs that limit how much you can play them. The recreations of real games are much more fun and work much better.

Piracy isn't thought of as an issue in VP. Pinmame is based on mame and uses real roms, just like the tons of emulated games and emulators discussed at length on AA. No one talks about Piracy in Mame or any other platform as an issue.

There are some bad things about the vp scene that are the same as any online scene. You can't avoid Human nature But it's easy to ignore the bad and just stick with the good.

It's also easy to mute people on fb you don't want to read. Same function exists on AA.

They're not that dissimilar. Forums are better in some ways (and I'll always prefer to use AA over any FB group) and social media is better in some ways. It's nice to have a choice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Jens is OK and he's done a lot for the vpin community but yeah the ego is easily bruised. I think VPA went a bit toxic with the bullying that went on of that special needs guy for his wacky posts, that's when i stopped using it as a resource.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Yeah Peter is a good egg - I speak to him on the phone a bit and I tried telling him to pull his head in a bit but he just kept putting up those weird posts. He's a bit better now because he got banned from the VPA group then did some grovelling to get back in. Things have toned down a lot of late but there's not a lot of "healthy debate" going on, which is what I like about the forums here at AA.

Yeah Peter is a good egg - I speak to him on the phone a bit and I tried telling him to pull his head in a bit but he just kept putting up those weird posts. He's a bit better now because he got banned from the VPA group then did some grovelling to get back in. Things have toned down a lot of late but there's not a lot of "healthy debate" going on, which is what I like about the forums here at AA.

Good on you mate for helping him out on the phone. That's really good to hear :) I'm glad he's back in the group.

There's some good people in that group, some i stay in touch with via other means. Using fb groups is still relatively new to me but I've found them a great resource, especially when you have a global community you get answers really quickly for special interest subjects like endless sphere's electric bikes fb group. I can get answers there to any of my questions usually within minutes of posting due to many thousands of users in different time zones, someone is always willing to help at any time of day or night!

Just backtracking, i was referring to Thomas K. not Peter. Never thought Peter was a problem just a bit exciteable about (pretty much everything)