Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gumtree Scam Alert - Stern Indiana Jones

delarge

Hi all,

Just saw this Stern Indiana Jones on gumtree with a price that is almost too good to be true.

Gumtree ad:

Indiana Jones Pinball by Stern (Rare),

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-city/collectables/indiana-jones-pinball-by-stern-rare-/1163864603?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $4,000 Negotiable

Copied from: kansascity.craigslist.org/tag/d/indiana-jones-pinball-by/6362501

what’s the AA protocol? do we all start spamming him low ball offers?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I would genuinely like to play a Stern Indy. Being in the country is tough for a variety of games, so was willing to fork out $4k for that game.

I messaged them before confirming the ad was copied from Craigslist. They messaged back ignoring my questions and asked for my email address.

Probably worth reporting but I don't know enough about that stuff, so who knows if Gumtree will act on it as the ad no longer exists.

My old man stated to me one day, "Son, if something is too good to be true, it probably is."

........unless your @robm and score a shitload of pins and a possum off an island off QLD! Lucky bastard.

I used to wonder why scammers didn't bother to change some of the wording or shop images on a listing copied from somewhere else, easy to see it's a scam with some research.

The reason is they want to eliminate smarter people early that will realize immediately, if they make it look too good, people will get involved & realize it's a scam after some email exchanges one way or another, leaving people that don't do decent research to see elements of the add elsewhere as likely candidates to be scammed.

The Trading Post seems to have more would be scammers than GT I think and they are too lazy to remove ads once reported. Saw an IJ on there a while back and a quick image search came back with 2/3 other ads from various countries with the same pictures, wording and contact name. Reporting the ad as a potential scam with links to the evidence and they still didn't pull the ad.

Out of curiosity I have just had a look on TP now and found who I believe to be the same bloke trying again.

https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Electronics/Gaming/Consoles/Theater-Of-Magic-Bally-Pinball-Machine/Abbotsbury/NSW/AdNumber=8SK967

Same pictures found here from Germany.

https://www.pauls50s.de/flipper-theatre-of-magic.html

At least he changed the wording of the ad this time. If you have to pull an image of a machine from another site then that's a clear sign not to trust the seller. Either post a picture of your machine or GTFO.

Yeah, I don't like to name someone as a scammer without evidence,but it was clear when I found the Craigslist ad with the same description and photos. They then didn't come forward with information requested and immediately asked for my email address.

$4k doesn't sound out of the ordinary for that title. I first thought they were just after a quick sale.

The Trading Post seems to have more would be scammers than GT I think and they are too lazy to remove ads once reported. Saw an IJ on there a while back and a quick image search came back with 2/3 other ads from various countries with the same pictures, wording and contact name. Reporting the ad as a potential scam with links to the evidence and they still didn't pull the ad.

How do you do an image search?