Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Off-grid games shed!

I reckon R64 is listening intently to your advice Steve.

Just out of interest did we get the size of your property R64 or did I miss it?

Absolutely, I got some sarking and my dilemma now is just finding the time!

It’s working well to unscrew all but the top of each panel and run the spare air-cell insulation or sarking underneath (from the floor up), then screw it back on the bottom, then tucking it in at the top.

Property is nearly 20 acres, mostly hilly scrub.

Had to level a flat area, I should dig up the video!

I moved in some more stuff yesterday, mainly parts and tools, some shelving, some “recycled sound cladding” I’ve been collecting from the green shed...

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress!

Bought a 1.8m x 1.8m racking shelf, on special for $99 at Bunnings (!). Something to put monitor tubes on.

Still have to bring stuff in from storage, so I won’t put everything in its right place just yet.

f5c9cc5b1c769838d9c6d8e1f796f0a1.jpg

Also I’ve been slipping the sarking up behind the wall.

caaa2cf1c1fae9bbf522b92ba58190d5.jpg

I am inserting a strip of aircel insulation between the vertical column and the colourbond, so it’s relatively insulated, and ai’ll pad the rest with standard insulation.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates

- finally tipped the water tank into position!

- some initial earthworks to help with drainage. Follow up is this Wednesday for dumping some road base and gravel.

- put in the Workbench and cleared out my tool trolley (incl. mouse droppings)

- moved in the project Rampage, Dynamo 19”, Space Invaders, Phoenix, Gyruss and 720 cabs (yes all projects haha)

- insulated some wall

- bought a 6500w genny off a cap at work for a cool $400 - score

2e10700655ce3b41595ab80c490aae93.jpg

- bought some chipboard and plybrace for some walls.

- bought a shelf (with some kind of mirror backed minibar in it) to fix into the wall, routed off half of it

285e28b6dcc0d74b17f0fc8d6b691a13.jpg

- Sorted some of the shelving

The place is in a bit of a state so I’m reluctant to post pics! Will hopefully have some time this weekend to finish a wall.

Have you got a plan for how to heat it? Or will all those big CRT tubes keep you warm? :D

Have been considering a wood stove, but it’s interesting how much heat actually comes off the main wall in the winter!

Mainly I’m worried about the summer, will need to sort some heat extraction at the high end on the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• 3 months later...

Been a long while since I posted, life gets in the way I guess.

One of the long-standing questions has been what do I call this thing. Every man cave needs a name right?

A few suggestions I’ve had

(After talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey)

= the Manolith (because it’s a tall, dark object that sucks you into another dimension, and also something to do with chimpanzees dancing)

(after this guy showed up)

750aaefea77c13574a27c56cac3036e8.jpg

= the bat cave (because a bat showed up)

= the time machine (because it takes you back to the 80’s or 90’s, and I am obsessed with back to the future)

-

Anyway, while I have had a couple days over Christmas to work on the thing, the weather is currently 34 degrees.

(I might crack out this air conditioner that drained our batteries a couple summers ago, see how it goes on the genny...)

Since September I’ve been working on sarking/insulation, the feature wall and record shelf.

1d85ffd76b309c8ed89ce3f0a9f45889.jpg

Which is now up.

726c2502619c1770a000ade0748db8aa.jpg

Got a couple of chipboard panels up, so I can push some cabs against the wall!

8ae57d0a89e7e341bac7b23844407058.jpg

Here ends my lunch break, will post some more tonight.

... In the meantime I’ve been poking around with layouts in Sketchup...

08e67fb3a7dee690f66c9e4b48c1497c.jpg

What..! No pinny's?

Blasphemy.

Surely this is The Devil's Den of Iniquity.

...No windows is good...

True.

When I lived off the grid, about 1/3rd of the walls were floor to ceiling plate glass. Brilliant views for me, but not so for the birds. Horrible feeling when you hear that thud on the glass. Even worse when you come to 'know' that the bird's partner will often die of grief or fly the same path before the Sun goes down.

..Since September I’ve been working on... [a]... record shelf.

Which is now up.

726c2502619c1770a000ade0748db8aa.jpg

I dunno much about building stuff, however I've read all the words in this thread, and there's no way I'd be storing vinyl in yr shed. Nice shelving though. If the bottom shelves are for 7", I'd suggest flipping it to have them on the top (12" always closest to the strongest load bearing structure), and did I say don't store 'em in yr shed? Vinyl and cardboard both don't respond well to temperature fluctuations and moisture, which it seems your shed will have, no matter how good the sarking.

I lost so much collectable vinyl over the years due to my ignorance of not storing them thoughtfully... And country rats took a great liking to many more record sleeves... Bastards!

Cheers,

G

What..! No pinny's?

I know right? Haha I have since picked up a few.

Re: the vinyl, it’s not the good stuff, mostly house and breaks 12s which I have digitised.

Still working on the insulation, so it shouldn’t be too extreme temp wise when done.

I know right? Haha I have since picked up a few.

Smooth move... The Ladies will soon come a knocking!

Re: the vinyl, it’s not the good stuff, mostly house and breaks 12s which I have digitised.

Can I suggest having a bonfire for your shed grand opening party... Nothing burns better than disco (plus the Ladies dance better by bonfire - True story).

Cheers,

G

• 1 month later...

Haha true.

Right so updates

- that face down bat was totally dead from heat stroke

- had another “invader”

fa9b6e35cd91e0ecf23ecc9b8e768d01.jpg

- whose idea was it to get into pinballs now I’m cleaning 40 star posts with a toothbrush instead of cladding

- bottom half of wall is insulated enough to shift machines up to and get on with stuff. No leaks or anything crawling up under into things

- scored a projector screen from the Green Shed for $30, so now have something transformable to put the old projector onto!

5066156b7801b07b947b9b3e215604db.jpg

- feature wall is coming along

8f50f58537b16538c4f610d4a7db4b7d.jpg

- power is ok with the generator, but need to build a mini shed for it, some batts and whatever else. Maybe also for wood off-cuts

- a bit dusty, so will wipe, vac & mop until it’s not?

- took some pics but it’s kinda embarrassing how messy it is!

• 2 weeks later...

A few bits of progress!

Sarking right up to the ceiling (on half of the shed), so I can insulate, clad, paint and poster some significant areas.

4aa00e7534b9f59904c3ecb553b3d25c.jpg

Insulated the door, and fixed a whiteboard ($5 from the Green Shed). For to-do lists.

aa1b9d8da9849a653fa4cf6e01e0387a.jpg

Oh and no biggie, another visitor.

154d847bf63ed3a4f815353b1e6ae428.jpg

A red-belly black, yep, venomous, and potentially lethal. I think it was this one that nearly killed my dog.

Really enjoyed reading the thread. Great work! :)

Close call on that moisture/bat issue, that would of been a nightmare. Great to see ya mates have ya back! :)

Nice one @Autosteve!

I have a cert IV in RE and in that we studied Sustainable building design. Sadly that issue was not brought up!! :o

Again, great save!

For the roof insulation in our farm house I went with a nice simple solution, two layers of sarking.

Each layer of sarking is rated at R 2.4 so using two layers that becomes equivalent to R4.8. One is under the roof sheets and over the roof beams while the other is attached to the false ceiling panels. The false ceiling I used was simply 3 ply ply wood and that is probably R1.0 if I checked. Giprock is R1.2 but this, Giprock isn't suitable with a metal roof if you ever intend on walking on it because the metal roof does flex and Giprock will bend and crack where as plywood, this isn't an issue.

To attach the sarking to the plywood I just put down a couple of runs of silicon, the cheaper the better as it only needs to hold it so it doesn't move when you try to attach the false ceiling. I left a little over lap on the lower edge so it can go over the next panel. This overlap is if the sarking does get moisture on it or a screw hole in the roof sheet, the drop will run off that sacking and onto the next sheet of sarking all the way to the wall rather than the roof springing a leak.

• 4 months later...

Bad news: gotta move.

I still own it, just can’t use it.

So I guess I’ll be starting another games room thread when I move to my new place.

Lots of lessons to take with.

• 5 months later...

Just an update on the shed, of sorts. It’s currently under threat of bushfire, and might burn! Still has maybe 10 cabs and 2 pins in there, mostly projects. Have managed to clear out most of what I need, and boarded up the window with coro steel.

Haven’t been able to get out there with a truck to empty it. Sometimes the roads are closed or the schools, so have limited opportunities to get to the city.

Hopefully the fire won’t get through. Will see.

Fingers crossed!