Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Where is Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster with Starman?

magnumpi

Elon Musk’s Starman, the mannequin driver of the Tesla Roadster SpaceX launched aboard its Falcon Heavy rocket, is taking a trip around our solar system, in a large elliptical orbit that will bring him relatively close to Mars, the Sun and other heavenly bodies. But how to track the trip, now that the Roadster’s onboard batteries are out of juice and no longer transmitting live footage?

Thanks to the work of Ben Pearson, a SpaceX fan and electrical engineer working in the aerospace industry, who created ‘Where is Roadster,’ a website that makes use of JPL Horizons data to track the progress of the Roadster and Starman through space, and to predict its path and let you know when it’ll come close to meeting up with various planets and the Sun.

The website tells you the Roadster’s current position, too, as well as its speed and whether it’s moving towards or away from Earth and Mars at any given moment. It’s not officially affiliated with SpaceX or Tesla, but it is something Elon Musk is apparently using to help remember where he parked his galactic ride.

http://www.whereisroadster.com/index.html

Thanks for posting, there is some cool data there. Liked these speed and distance metrics for the Tesla :)

"The car exceeded its 36,000 mile warranty 597.1 times while driving around the Sun, (21,494,326 miles, 34,591,775 km, 0.23 AU) moving at a speed of 73,431 miles/hour (118,175 km/hour, 32.83 km/s)."

So they couldn’t rig up solar panels and a battery to keep it running? Adelaide is in trouble lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing. Why couldnt they add a renewable power source? I wonder if range has something to do with it?

Its cool, but would have been cooler if it wasnt off course and it indeed reached its original destination and orbit being mars.

I wonder why there was no means to correct it course on this rig? do they still think its going tobe smashed up in the meteor shower it was predicted to end up in or has that changed and found it self in a better situation?

Looking at the link his speed moving away from Earth is @6743mph and moving faster towards Mars @43053 mph doesn't seem practical unless its an eliptical journey sort of sideways continually orbiting Earth which makes more sense as he can't be travelling in a fairly straight line with those figures. This isn't the most economical way to travel in space is it? Maybe he should have used a DeLorean?

Looking at the link his speed moving away from Earth is @6743mph and moving faster towards Mars @43053 mph doesn't seem practical unless its an eliptical journey sort of sideways continually orbiting Earth which makes more sense as he can't be travelling in a fairly straight line with those figures. This isn't the most economical way to travel in space is it? Maybe he should have used a DeLorean?

Not much free-floating in space is constant in speed or direction - look at the way any of the far solar-system probes like voyager use the planets to pick up speed and change course, it really blows the mind - this quick vid shows how Voyager I and II used Jupiter and Saturn to 'steer' - you'd be sweating on your calculations, the very clever people who work this stuff out:

http://www.theplanetstoday.com/voyager_flight_path.html

Its cool, but would have been cooler if it wasnt off course and it indeed reached its original destination and orbit being mars.

I wonder why there was no means to correct it course on this rig? do they still think its going tobe smashed up in the meteor shower it was predicted to end up in or has that changed and found it self in a better situation?

I think that's the misconception.

It's intent was Mars's orbit, not the orbit of Mars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk