State
    qld
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quoted
    936 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ajfclark View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm always hesitant to use something new on pieces I can't replace and it seems everything in pinball is something difficult or impossible or expensive to replace, so good to hear more positives about vinegar.

I've often thought about using Ranex as a final step after other rust removal to protect the piece. That should work, right?
    No worries, you can always pull the vinegar out of the cupboard when the missus isnt looking at give it a test on an old heavily rusty bolt or something like that and see what you think. Maybe find a peice of thin rusted steel and test it out. Its always good to test things especially if its a product your not familiar with so you can have confidence so like you said you dont have to worry about stuffing up a non replaceable item.

And to your question
    yer I do use the Ranex that way also for that bit of protection while its still baremetal so it doesn't oxidize after sitting and drying. I personally find it good to give it a wipe of Ranex after its come out of the bath and dried.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Australia

No need to hide my home chemistry from my wife, she knows all the whacky shit I get up to. Eg. Wednesday we get a delivery with dry ice in it so there's usually mess when she gets home from work.

I usually wax stuff up to protect it, but when the surface is rough you can't buff it and it looks like crap. I'll give the Ranex a go next time.
    Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quoted
    936 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by ajfclark View Post
    No need to hide my home chemistry from my wife, she knows all the whacky shit I get up to. Eg. Wednesday we get a delivery with dry ice in it so there's usually mess when she gets home from work.

I usually wax stuff up to protect it, but when the surface is rough you can't buff it and it looks like crap. I'll give the Ranex a go next time.
    Ahaha same with mine lol, My kitchen bench Often looks like a Work bench when she comes home from work, especially when its a really damn hot day and the work shop is to hot and cant resist the airncon in the house, lol

Ive built a few performance engines in my lounge room as I thought it was more dust free than My work shop and garage. lol

State
    bunbury WA
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1175 Post(s)
    Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla
    We got 20 litres at work of vinegar as playground spraying

Local chem place sells bulk
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quoted
    936 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by narf_ View Post
    We got 20 litres at work of vinegar as playground spraying

Local chem place sells bulk
    Might be a bit stronger than the 99cents for 2 liter Black and gold stuff I use I would imagine?
    I have considered trying an industrial Vinegar, have been interested to see how that would go.

State
    bunbury WA
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1175 Post(s)
    Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1 View Post
    Might be a bit stronger than the 99cents for 2 liter Black and gold stuff I use I would imagine?
    I have considered trying an industrial Vinegar, have been interested to see how that would go.
    Not sure

Just says food grade and corrosive ect

I might decant some and try next week as going to a farm sale on w.e to dig some rust
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1824 Post(s)
    Australia
    When you talk about Ranex is that the stuff you put on car windscreens as a water repellent, or is it something else with the same name?
    My pins: Wild life EM, Top Score Em, Space Mission EM, Target Alpha EM, Cleopatra SS, Pin*Bot SS, Indiana Jones WPC, Black~Rose WPC.
    My Arcades: Funland Rifle EM, Hankin Table 20", Mame 20" Horizontal Cab, 17 in 1 Horizontal 20" cab, Outrun2 sit down game rear projection, Foosball table.

State
    nsw
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2544 View Post
    When you talk about Ranex is that the stuff you put on car windscreens as a water repellent, or is it something else with the same name?
    Its different its called ranex rustbuster
    live between the flip and the tilt

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2544 View Post
    Rain-X: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...y-473mL/225395

Ranex RustBuster:https://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-...mover_p1560855

- - - Updated - - -

Another option would be something like Chemtech Rust-off. It's stronger than Ranex (30%-60% vs 10-35% phosphoric acid) but doesn't contain Ferrous Sulphate like the Ranex.: https://www.bunnings.com.au/chemtech...mover_p1107356

Diggers also have an oxalic acid product: https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-...eaner_p0960276

State
    Bendigo Vic
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Australia
    I was wondering how well this stuff worked. I tried vinegar for the first time on some coin doors and nuts bolts and clips and was happy with the out come. You can see the results of vinegar in arcade restoration and projects, Arcade restore basic fun build. I have a video at end of thread. 1.50 seconds into vid for coin doors and 6.25 for nuts and bolts. I used the $1.20 vinegar from Aldi.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information