Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Practicing psychometric tests

Does anyone here know of any useful free online psychometric tests? I've tried a few now but there's no point doing the same ones over again. Here's some examples of what I mean if you aren't sure what I'm babbling about :D

https://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/diagrammatic-reasoning-tests/

https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm

10/10/17: Found this site:

https://www.aptitude-test.com/aptitude-tests.html

Which has a whole buncha tests. You just have to fill in a short survey (once) to get results on the screen. No email or anything. If you want more comrehensive from them then you have to sign up, but what they have has been pretty handy so far. I think I am going to do my actual test today as I am feeling groovy and am not at work. Except that the first day in ages I've had a sick day, the guy next door has decided to do some landscaping with one of those mini bobcats :realmad:

Hopefully he gets tired of that soon :D

Edited by danny_galaga

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you did the test I hope it went well.

If you didn't make sure you cross reference the sample questions from the test administrator with the samples you are studying before you spend too much time on them. Last test I took ended up being very different than most of the public samples + a couple of the cheaper paid options.

On the plus side the actual test questions tended to be a lot easier.

It may be that the test I took was just weird and departed from the norm. It may also be that even the test sample providers with .au websites are basing their questions on administrators from other countries (I was told that access to tests in Australia is fairly tightly restricted to mental health professionals). Tinfoil hat wise it might also be that the sample questions are deliberately made more difficult on a lot of those sites to scare people into buying paid services.

In any case try to get sample questions from your actual provider and check how closely they resemble the samples.

Hehe. Gemini, these sorts of tests merely assess for an employer whether you 1) are intelligent enough and 2) have a personality that will suit the job. The job I was going for has thousands of applicants. They need to wheedle that number down sharpish. There are certain traits they are looking for. No idea if I fit the bill, I know I am smart enough so if I don't get the job I won't be cut up about it.

Feverish, while the employer does suggest practicing sample tests, it was really not in their best interest to supply any samples themselves. There are plenny applicants for them to choose from. There were three different tests I had to do, in any order. So I started with what I figured would be the easiest for me to get used to it, which was a verbal reasoning test. I had practiced a few like that already, and my verbal reasoning is not too bad so I think I did well.

The next lot I did was something along the lines of a non-verbal reasoning test, you know- Which of the four shapes below go in the blank space in the series of shapes above. I did well in that, especially once I cottoned onto a bit of a 'formula' for quite a few.

The next test was the hardest- short term memory. You are presented with something that looks like a street map, with a few symbols on it. You have 5 seconds to look at the map, and then it goes blank and you need to place the symbols in the correct spots. From the practice example they gave, it showed where you placed your symbol and where it actually was, with a line linking them. This leads me to believe that test will measure all distances and add that up to create a score. In this test zero distance (perfect placement) would mean a 100% score. That was hard, and I can't tell how well I did. I think ok.

The test deadline is 15th, so I guess I won't hear anything from them until after that. If I happen to go to the next stage, I believe there will be some more tests done in-house. That will be nerve-wracking! Anyway, fingers crossed!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

these tests have cost me a job or too I believe. Lost a long standing job because the GM felt threatened. All good before the test then turned bad. Then there's the pre-job interview test that doesn't get you a face to face because you answered badly and what I mean by that is, you don't fit the mould. I'm a GM/OP manager and have struggled to get simpler job interviews. I've now tried lying and stop answering from a manager/best for company attitude more towards I'll keep out of things, just do my job, and do as I'm told or wait for the directive.

So no not a fan of these tests as had to fire good people because said they weren't suitable - one guy was an employee for over 30 years and was told he was no good.....ummmm yeah

Just an after thought, if these things are so good, why don't they make ALL prisoners need to complete these things testing for psychopathic, paedophile, etc etc tendencies and simply keep them locked up indefinitely based on the results....I wonder how many shrinks/psychs would stand by their findings.

Most of the testing is for personality profiling, nothing more. It can identify traits that may not be suitable for a given role, so generally are given to prospective hires.

Unless you know what traits your potential employer is after for the position its hard to know how to answer them.

For one of the roles we often interview for, a trait that is seen as a positive we're looking to avoid in a potential hire. 95% of people going for the role would think the opposite.

My only advice is to answer truthfully. Nothing worse than landing a role you hate because you were unsuited to it in the first place.

Edited by sleazius

Like I say, the last test was a psycho MOTOR test. It tests your speed and accuracy. Not intelligence, or ability to work with a team, or being fluent in HR gobbledegook, Just speed and accuracy. All I can say at this stage is that the job involves a lot of training and costs the employer a buttload of money to train new employees. I don't blame them for wanting to whittle the list down before spending the big bikkies. This is however the most harrowing process I've ever been through, mainly because I've essentially been a shit kicker my whole life :D

Went to the next round today. In this case they put us in small groups and then we were presented with a scenario. 5 minutes to read the scenario (in this case we were supposed to be volunteering in a town affected by a bushfire). Then 25 minutes working together to come up with a plan. This was the hardest test yet in a way because I have no idea what they were looking for exactly. Teamwork? Leadership? Problem solving? I just did my best to work with the others. Anyway, at least this time the HR guys will have something to do :D

We are supposed to hear back in two or three weeks. That's the sharp end. If I pass that then I think an interview will be next...