Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

System 80 Driver Board Transistor

Hi All,

A question for the more technical minded. Is there a downside of replacing the (hard to get) MPS-U45 with (the common) MPS-A13 Transistor on a System 80 Driver Board?

I have tried it on a single lamp and it appears to be working well. Might try it on a line with two lamps and see what happens. Could this cause damage to the board?

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q766/68Pinball/20171001_1910321_zpsk36dvomu.jpg

The board could do with a general clean I know :redface:redface

If the MPS-A13 can not properly run more than one lamp (which I think will be the problem) then the only issue would be if you wanted to use the driver board on another machine. 35+ years later, I can't see too many people wanting to swap boards around. Board sets are staying with their machines now or getting completely replaced by new technology.

Does your game have a harness connection at A3-J6?

If not, there are three spare MSP U45’s not always used; I think the schematic has them allocated for mechanical meters, or special solenoids. I’ve borrow them in the past when desperate :redface

DB.thumb.jpg.bef54d77eedcfed67c9647e9149cd118.jpg

The main difference between them is the MPS-A13 has a lower voltage rating at 30V compared to the U45 which is 40V.

Both are darlingtons with the same pinout and are rated at 0.5A so as long as your supply rail is no more than 25V you should be fine.

Thank you for the responses, most informative.

To finish off this thread - currently testing the MPS-A13 on a line with two lamps. no problems to report. So will be making this change where necessary in the future.