Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Retropie First barcade - button recommendations

Hi guys and gals just wondering how many extra buttons do you need to navigate around retro pie like game exit and other handy control buttons?

I'm thinking 2p with 6 buttons per player plus coin for each of them plus an exit button and a pi power button in the form of another arcade button with a sticker on it... Any other buttons recommended? I'd like to avoid needing a keyboard once everything is set up in the cabinet!

Thanks!

Hi guys and gals just wondering how many extra buttons do you need to navigate around retro pie like game exit and other handy control buttons?

I'm thinking 2p with 6 buttons per player plus coin for each of them plus an exit button and a pi power button in the form of another arcade button with a sticker on it... Any other buttons recommended? I'd like to avoid needing a keyboard once everything is set up in the cabinet!

Thanks!

thats pretty much it mate, thats my setup , joystick and 6 buttons each along with a start and select button each :)

And you have an exit button too? So I see lots of people with a 1p 2p button as well as coin..

So do you have a start/select for each player or just one for the console

yup have a start select for both, button combo start select to exit games no need for an exit button

The odd game will split the credits based on which slot is feeding, so you may want more than one coin button.

Also, most people use a button-combo to exit, rather than having a separate button that can be bumped - depending on where you put it. I use p1start+p1coin+p2start to exit.

I do the classic 6 button layout, start and select (which acts as coin for arcades and select for other emulators).

START + SELECT together = exit out of emulator

In Hyperpie (attract mode), I map the top 3rd button as previous letter, bottom 3rd button as next letter to scroll through games. I've also mapped select and top 3rd button to "search" but that's only good when there's a keyboard attached

I was thinking of running raspberry jamma to allow swap in swap out are most people just running zero delay USB or a good mix of both.. I love the idea of retropie etc but not sure which would be easier in the long run a jamma harness to begin with or just stick with USB?

Go jamma harness if you want to play original or multiboards also, if you just want raspberry pi no need really, setup with zero delay usb units or others that are out there.

Thanks for the reply!

If running an extra kick harness or one of these with the 4,5,6 built in to the connectors (https://www.diyarcade.com.au/jamma-harness) is configuring it all relatively straightforward? are there jamma interfaces that will work with retropie ok? I've seen the arpicade and the raspberryjamma but it looks like arpicade doesn't use retropie?

Thanks for the reply!

If running an extra kick harness or one of these with the 4,5,6 built in to the connectors (https://www.diyarcade.com.au/jamma-harness) is configuring it all relatively straightforward? are there jamma interfaces that will work with retropie ok? I've seen the arpicade and the raspberryjamma but it looks like arpicade doesn't use retropie?

Not to sure on that one sorry, alot of extra cost just to run a jamma harness etc, need a jamma to pi adapter as well as jamma harness. Jamma to pi is good for those that already have jamma cabs and want to hook up a pi nice n easy.

• 1 month later...