Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The biggest cheater in arcade history

Koops

It's not looking good for B.M at all and after the Todd debacle it's looking like a possible 2 from 2 lifetime bans for big name 80's gamers.

This also adds more fuel to the fire of the TG members who think that anything not submitted under the current system that doesn't have video evidence that can be provided right now should be thrown out immediately

I see where you’re coming from

These two and their scores have been in question for a long, long time. Now it is possible to dispute them officially.

You and your scores wouldn’t ever be subject to the same scrutiny. You’re a stand-up fella and as far as I’m concerned as legitimate as they come. Todd and Billy have been doing shady shit for a number of years.

It is a real shame it has come to this as it may splinter the community even further, but if we have any belief in scoreboard integrity and accuracy then there was absolutely no choice.

Billy has been such an instrumental figure and I have to say the community would probably not exist, or at least be as strong, without him. But if these claims are true (which I 100% believe are), he has to be held accountable. There’s no other option

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not looking good for B.M at all and after the Todd debacle it's looking like a possible 2 from 2 lifetime bans for big name 80's gamers.

This also adds more fuel to the fire of the TG members who think that anything not submitted under the current system that doesn't have video evidence that can be provided right now should be thrown out immediately.

In my case theoretically:

1. I have some pal Atari 2600 scores that were submitted on tape in either 1999 or 2000 that were sent to Walter and forwarded to Corcoran (strike 1 against me), I didn't make copies of what I sent (some say I should have made copies but I never thought of it)

2. I have a lot of Atari 2600 and a few Atari 7800 and Colecovision scores that were done on an emulator and submitted screenshots to Corcoran as per the system at the time. I have no evidence of those screenshots any more and no video footage at all so strikes 2 (Corcoran) and 3 (no video) against me.

3. My arcade and the 3 pinball scores were verified live at Funspot so once again no video exists (forget counting strikes I'm already out) :banned:

4 As for MAME some were sent to RTM and the rest submitted directly to the site. Some may be on MARP and can be verified but not all of them.

I'm a small fish in a big pond but it could potentially get interesting :rolleyes

Todd's undoing was not that his Dragster score was "impossible" it was that sooooo many of his scores were impossible.

I'm not sure how TG will handle this, I very much doubt they will hand out a lifetime ban and remove all of Billy's scores - he actually only has a few on there. But I strongly suggest his DK score is gone. We'll have to wait and see I guess, Todd's dismissal has created somewhat of a precedence.

I very much doubt you have much to worry about - are any of your scores impossible?

I very much doubt you have much to worry about - are any of your scores impossible?

Not impossible but there's 1 PAL 2600 score that I wish wasn't there. It's a long way in front of the NTSC version and while I was 100% up front with the settings I played on when I submitted it's not on the correct settings for the track. In hindsight I should've had it removed when they did the NTSC, PAL, EMU split and if it's ever challenged I'm not going to fight it. Apart from that all good

Not impossible but there's 1 PAL 2600 score that I wish wasn't there. It's a long way in front of the NTSC version and while I was 100% up front with the settings I played on when I submitted it's not on the correct settings for the track. In hindsight I should've had it removed when they did the NTSC, PAL, EMU split and if it's ever challenged I'm not going to fight it. Apart from that all good

Yeah that's kinda different to what's going on with Billy Mitchell at the moment, and completely different to what happened with Todd's scores. There have been plenty of scores already removed because they were impossible, which could come down to many things, it's when players are adjudged to have deliberately attempted to mislead that this sort of stuff makes any news at all outside of TG.

Just dispute your own score if you want it removed. If you explain that the settings are wrong nobody is going to hold it against you.

Have a drink every time he says Todd - around 3:50 joystick technique :)

You'll have to watch the Billy Mitchell "interview" on the East Side Dave show from earlier today our time - someone will repost on YouTube in the next 24 hours.

Have a drink every time Billy says "The Fact of the Matter" - spoiler alert.... have poison control on speed dial, you will get alcohol poisoning :D

Some people on Face Book are sticking up for Billy......I dunno I don't watch the scene closely enough to offer any real detail...but IMO Billy has been and still is good for the retro gaming world regardless of the technicalities. Sure he has been favoured with lesser scrutiny, that is because he has the charisma to be a valuable personality and ambassador for the community.

Did he play mame? whatever, he is a good player and has played well live legitimately, if he is bought down and scorned now who does that benefit?

All this tall poppy shit and squabble is why I much prefer MGL to TG.......so is the house of cards going to fall as the pitchforks come out for Billy? who knows I hope it doesn't. The only good thing that would bring is default game settings to MGL instead of crappy TG settings :)

Come on John post a link to the Billy interview I'm having a drink now :D

- - - Updated - - -

WOW I started watching the above video and I suddenly realised I'm not as nerdy as I thought I was and I could not give a flying **** if anyone wants to play 2600 anymore let alone try for records on it. FFS if you want to play Galaxians please just play it on mame or the original hardware.

That said to have a blast on the 2600 or an emulator for old time sake is cool, but to dedicate time to beating online score boards for poor console conversions of arcade games and then posting videos about it........wow.

Sorry if my opinion offends anyone, each to their own and shit, but I like to call it as I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing from this video that is probably almost more damming than the video proof is talked about at the 6:10s mark - Billy's percentage of 800 point hammer smashes (thanks to Wes for watching and pointing this out) is in the realm of insanely impossible amounts statistically speaking. If Billy was indeed this lucky, he should forget arcade games and just live off lottery winnings for the rest of his life.

For the love of me, I can't find the graphic of the spreadsheet Wes did, maybe @Barra know's where it was posted and can re-post it here.

My level of probability and statistics knowledge from high school has long since left my brain, but it's absurd to believe one person could have this much luck compared to every other player - it's just nonsense. This evidence pushes Billy's score from being "MAME and not Arcade" into the bracket of "Stitched together MAME score made to look like original arcade to benefit financially"

The dispute continues, and in the meantime players who I will not mention here are getting their arcade scores adjudicated as "accepted" under the new TGSAP because "It looks legit and he wouldn't cheat even though we can't see proof it's an original PCB" - the mind boggles! We will be back here in 10 years time talking about someone else who blew one past the current system.

There’s a lot going on with this dispute but so far none of Billys supporters have been able to offer any plausible counter arguments. In fact what they are refuting with shows they don’t understand any of the evidence presented.

There’s still talk of tapes, cameras and witnesses but nothing/no one has surfaced yet with any credibility.

The two tapes available were done on MAME using a method to play boards over and over whilst still recording an INP. This feature is disabled in WolfMAME

I'm lost.

What ever happened after The King of Kong saga? Billy was shit canned then it all blew over now he's a dick again?

Billy has always been an arrogant, annoying, know-it-all but almost everyone who meets him says that he's nowhere near as bad as he is portrayed in King of Kong. That movie needed a villain and he played the villain, but it was equal parts him hamming it up to the camera as it was his actual personality. There's no doubt that he is an excellent DK player, and has set some high scores in public venues. However, it's been made pretty clear that some of his video scores are not 100% true and now that he's been called out for it, he is basically denying it all.

It will be interesting to see Twin Galaxies take on all this, Billy and TG go back a long way. He really did help to make them what they are today, and if they remove his scores, it will be a huge deal. As far as I know, his scores are still up there, but they are under dispute.

There’s a lot going on with this dispute but so far none of Billys supporters have been able to offer any plausible counter arguments. In fact what they are refuting with shows they don’t understand any of the evidence presented.

There’s still talk of tapes, cameras and witnesses but nothing/no one has surfaced yet with any credibility.

The two tapes available were done on MAME using a method to play boards over and over whilst still recording an INP. This feature is disabled in WolfMAME

I've copped the odd comment by abstaining or even admitting "I'll take a credibility hit and no vote this even though I know the community will yes vote it" - Even if the mysterious tapes appear, I would bet my life there will be no sign of PCB filming, which is why it frustrates the hell out of me now that scores are getting adjudicated in without filming boards. It's a recipe for this to happen again in the future. Billy's score should never have been entered into the database, and I stand by my belief current scores being submitted should be rejected also if they don't show evidence of an original PCB.

The rules are a pain in the arse, but if you are going to put the time and effort in to get a world record on an arcade machine, 5 minutes of opening up the machine to film is not really that much extra to do. Not sure what arcades are like in the USA, but in Brisbane I'm 3 and 0 for arcade owners who are more than willing to help players film correctly to get their score adjudicated.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be interesting to see Twin Galaxies take on all this, Billy and TG go back a long way. He really did help to make them what they are today, and if they remove his scores, it will be a huge deal. As far as I know, his scores are still up there, but they are under dispute.

Yes, all scores still up. Apart from this DK score which is really a nothing score in terms of DK, and his "first person to perfect game Pac-Man", most of his stuff is not really that impressive. There is a dispute on him Pac-Man score (which was apparently done in a time of 5hr 30min 00sec which makes it sound suspect - not that he didn't do it, just that it was a time guess. If you believe the stories, and I do, he f%ked over other players who had a gentleman's agreement to not go for the perfect Pac-Man score until they met again. Make a deal with the devil I guess?

- - - Updated - - -

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ywd4yv.png

Actually truth be told, that's not as damming as first thought. I still don't believe his score, but if he was gonna stitch together MAME game play, why wouldn't he bottom hammer and get way more 300/500/800 smashes on the barrel boards - that's where the points are.

Instead, he got lots more smashes on conveyor which is riskier and also on rivets which could only really be done by risky play with the top hammer.

Hmmmm

The biggest cheater in arcade history

He played incredibly “risky” because he had no fear of dying. I.e. he would re-record boards where he gambled and lost.

There’s countless situations in this recording at least where he rolled the dice and won. Employing tactics that would never EVER be used by a killscreen player let alone one playing at 1.1m pace. It just doesn’t add up, and all the evidence Xelnia and Sock Master have provided is the missing piece of the puzzle that almost everyone who plays the game competitively, so desperately wanted.

His “Boomers” DK Jr score has been removed from DKF now too. I am 100% convinced he never even played a game of it that day.

It’s all but over for Billy unfortunately. This years Kong Off will prove to be the most awkward yet with a lot of people attending both for and against the issue.