Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Netflix - Altered Carbon

Watched 5 eps of this over the weekend. It's great and I am really enjoying it. However, get rid of the sci-fi setting and it's basically a detective noir style show.

I still think The Expanse is the best new sci-fi as it spends a whole lot of time dealing with hard sci-fi stuff. Altered Carbon spends more time about the philosophy behind what it means to be human.

Still, the Raven AI hotel character is amazing and the production values are through the roof. I will finish the season this week methinks.

The Expanse started out *exactly* the same, detective noir even with the old style gumshoe private dick with the private dick hat! I've also read all The Expanse novels and even though I think they get progressively a little weaker, I loved the series as a whole. I'm loving Altered Carbon, they are doing some scenes that are direct homage to Blade Runner, which I also love :)

• Administrators
The Expanse started out *exactly* the same, detective noir even with the old style gumshoe private dick with the private dick hat! I've also read all The Expanse novels and even though I think they get progressively a little weaker, I loved the series as a whole. I'm loving Altered Carbon, they are doing some scenes that are direct homage to Blade Runner, which I also love :)

and the Matrix

Yeah, but then it went crazy sideways quickly. I expect Altered Carbon will likely do the same. I hope it starts investigating the other planets soon. That's what I love about The Expanse, all the planet colonisation and the hard sci-fi space travel concepts.

If you like the whole colonisation and hard sci-fi / space opera of The Expanse universe, I'd really reccomend reading "The Wrong Stars" by Tim Pratt - a new release from late last year. A ****ing fantastic read and as good as anything from the Expanse series, I think possibly even better.

• 1 month later...

Got around to finishing the series, loved it. Science Fiction TV done right.

Have started on the books , half way through the first one and geez, they sure sanitised the tv version. Tak is so much more brutal and fringes on psycho killer at times. (Loving it.)