Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

NEWCASTLE MEETUPS?

Hey all

I am relatively new to pinball (just over a yr with my first machine) but have definitely caught the bug...

I listen to a bunch of great podcasts and watch a few Twitch channels

I own a Williams Grand Prix and a BSD but wanting to play more...

I get to the Stag when I can and mourn Pizza N Pinball closing :(

Hoping to ask if there were any regular meetups near Newcastle NSW or seasonal tournaments in NSW etc?

I've done a little hunting and other than the amazing Pinfest I can only gather 'Wildball' is NSW based?

Would be great to just get around like minded people more regularly and playing would be a bonus haha.

I've found after purchasing and maintaining my machines that the community has been super supportive so far.

Thanks

Andy G

Welcome to AA.

Yes, Wildball is based mostly around Sydney, with occasional rounds up in Newcastle. I've never played in it myself, but everyone I know who does says it's great. It's the only regular pinball event in NSW.

I've got a comp on at Luna Park in a couple of weeks if you like EMs and don't mind travelling to Sydney: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/91661-Harbourside-EM-Challenge-February-4

And if you're prepared to travel interstate, I would definitely recommend trying to get to the Brisbane Masters. It's a fantastic weekend of pinball and you'll meet enthusiasts from all over Australia: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/91853-2018-Brisbane-Masters-July-20th-22nd

Cheers guys, will definitely have to get to Supa Putt, thanks for the tip. Luna Park sounds doable and Brisbane with a bit more work with my better half. Ha ha. I'm trying to read up on tournament structures atm, is there anything that this page is missing? http://www.skill-shot.com/content/tournament-formats-this-is-how-we-do-it,7979

Cheers guys, will definitely have to get to Supa Putt, thanks for the tip. Luna Park sounds doable and Brisbane with a bit more work with my better half. Ha ha. I'm trying to read up on tournament structures atm, is there anything that this page is missing? http://www.skill-shot.com/content/tournament-formats-this-is-how-we-do-it,7979
Yep. A lot of the larger comps are the matchplay type talked about in that article. Play 3 games with 3 other people each round. Then have 4 or 5 rounds of that. Your overall score is not important but your score position relative to other 3 people. Most cases 1st get 7 points, 2nd 5 points 3rd 3 points and 4th 1point. Then players with most points win. This format also often groups people of similar points together in subsequent rounds.

Getting into competitions is really fun as you get to play a large range of games and more importantly meet a whole bunch of top people. Personally I really like comps that have machines from a range of eras.

Agree that Brisbane masters is a top event. If you want to get away from a cold nsw winter, take the wife for a tropical holiday 15th 16th June and join us in Townsville!

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=91737

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Hey Andy,

Unfortunately Newcastle (and NSW in general) have dropped off on the competition front.

Sydney had Pinball HQ which is no longer having competitions, Magic Hands which stopped in 2016 and Newcastle at one stage had a selfie league that is no longer going either. A few people tried to get something going at the Stag and Hunter but when you don't have access to get into the machines its not really possible to have a comp on them. If a ball gets stuck or theres a problem with the machine there is nothing you can do about it.

Wildball is fun and last year Brett had a competition that was open to anybody at his place in Lake Macquarie. It was a flip frenzy tournament which is a fun format. Possibly happening again this year @Brett2280 ?

As for places to play around you, there is Supa Putt which is great but if its not school holidays it might not be open. Check the opening hours before you head over. Stag and Hunter you obviously know. Hamilton Station Hotel has Ghostbusters and Simpsons Pinball Party. Across the tracks at the Gallipoli Club they have Aerosmith. Hamilton North Bowling Club has Metallica Pro.

You should probably let everyone know about your VR business in Newcastle. Do you still have a Bram Stokers Dracula in there?

The comps I always try and make it to are Brisbane Masters and Melbourne Matchplay. Dates for Brisbane are already confirmed so you have about 6 months to organise something. I like having the dates set our early so I can add it to the calendar so my wife knows I will be going away for that weekend.

Cheers

Pat