Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Terminator 2 Two Restore

Been a bit slow starting this thread.

Playfield was removed in November and stripped bare and sent off you Tim at Hot Rodded Pins for the same outstanding treatment he did on Creech!

Initially was going to have December off, however by the 7th I started on the cabinet !

Playfield was really good. Main damage on the Timer insert at the T2 skull, few other cosmetic tidy ups and clear, it will look brilliant.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122497[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122499[/ATTACH]

I honestly forgot to take pictures of the cabinet till after the belt sander had done its thing.....nice bottom minus the chewing gum....nicely structurally sound. Few repairs needed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122501[/ATTACH]

Headbox is a similar story. Cosmetic only.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122504[/ATTACH]

Bulk of the decals and glue removed with the belt sander, then orbital sander to start fine tuning. Builders bog and more sanding.

Prime filler applied, laid off heavy in patches that needed it. (angle of photo makes it look a different colour....its not!)

Waiting on good weather, sand and black top coat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122509[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122510[/ATTACH]

Blue hammer tone added to brighten up some of the internal parts, Transformer sprayed black, and speaker grills bright red, speaker panel modified to suit two 5.25inch speakers, and 8 inch sub

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122514[/ATTACH]

Another one already started? You must be doing this full time as they seem to overlap mate. T2 is such a great looking machine when fully restored, especially with chrome/polished metal trim. I have seen one with the 'black chrome' edition decals/translite and really looks impressive.

t2_5.thumb.jpg.fe3fb81be186ec0cc5136aef8d107a54.jpg69.jpg.04376fbbe053dbd94b9a88c21ba066ea.jpgterminator-2-chrome-pinball-alternative-translite-flipper.jpg.e388e56a70b0af7748c51d3d00026204.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing this completed. Thanks for posting pics and resto Trent.

Yes I do like it, however standard decals coming but I am having brand new legs re chromed including the gun and headbox brackets, plus rails and lockdown highly polished. She will shine !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terminator 2 Two Restore

I’m doing mine one day when I have the confidence and I really like the black chrome look. When you see ones restored to original, they look good, but just like what you always see. Sorry to the original type people.[emoji12] T2 is a keeper. I would like my coffin to look like the pinnie. Ha.

My only problem is that it is a really good original machine. So, I suppose the best way to do what I want is to buy, or swap for one that needs to be totally redone? Who knows? It’s hard when your not rich to make these descisions? Wazza

My only problem is that it is a really good original machine. So, I suppose the best way to do what I want is to buy, or swap for one that needs to be totally redone? Who knows? It’s hard when your not rich to make these descisions? Wazza

Yes mate I know what you mean. Tough call but many people on here to help if you take on the task yourself.

Any bloke on here that does restoration work will tell you, there is so many hours and effort that goes into it. There is obviously a fine line between just outlaying the cash and buying a T2 restored or find yourself a good honest working machine to do yourself. If you want a 'black edition' restore, perhaps you may have to do yourself as most people I am tipping would prefer the original coloured decals.

If I was in the market for a real nice collectors quality (keeper) machine, I would definitely consider buying one restored. When you add up all the hours and cost of parts, etc, it most likely works out similar anyway.

Now back on track.............. keep the pics coming Trent!

• 5 weeks later...

Yep, my updates have been slack.

Progress has been good.

Cabinet was fully prepped and painted black, left for over 2 weeks to cure. Decals were applied this morning.

Job was finished and looking fantastic, till I knocked over the headbox, and scratched and dents to whole bloody thing - yep I was discussed with myself!

So much so, that I didn't even take a photo.

Decals were removed and I've already sanded it back, ready to paint again - %$#% IT!

Almost all mechanics has been rebuilt. Replacing any parts needed, cleaning and polishing everything else. And bingo, 3 bumpers and 3 metal yokes broken !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123858[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]123859[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]123860[/ATTACH]

Flippers got new coils, flipper kit, bush and a good clean and polish

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123863[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]123864[/ATTACH]

News from Tim at Hot Rodded Pins this afternoon, playfield repairs finished and she got her final clear today !!! Can't wait

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123867[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]123868[/ATTACH]

Coming along nicely.

Flippers got new coils, flipper kit, bush and a good clean and polish

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123863[/ATTACH]

You don't need both sets of springs on the flippers; they both do the same thing and it's fighting against the coil. I'd remove the cone spring around the plunger as they chew the link, plunger, etc.

Was it a PBR rebuild kit? I notice in their pictures they have both styles of springs and the cranks with return brackets fitted which could lead to confusion.

Coming along nicely.

You don't need both sets of springs on the flippers; they both do the same thing and it's fighting against the coil. I'd remove the cone spring around the plunger as they chew the link, plunger, etc.

Was it a PBR rebuild kit? I notice in their pictures they have both styles of springs and the cranks with return brackets fitted which could lead to confusion.

Thanks mate, I honestly wasn't sure, the rebuild kit supplied both !!

Thanks mate, I honestly wasn't sure, the rebuild kit supplied both !!

It's a bit belt and braces, but I can understand why they'd do it. Some base plates don't have a hole to mount the flipper return spring next to the capacitor. I drill one if needed, some guy on pinside just adds a screw straight into the playfield (shudder), another goes under the bracket mount screw (probably over tensions the spring so less power), and I'm sure other people just use the cone spring because they like the original design (that destroys itself).

• 4 weeks later...

About time for an update.

Cabinet and headbox have had decals applied. No mistakes of knocking anything over this time.

Fit out is mostly complete. Better pictures to come

7b7e5fc93db685a5843a5f30e0f60990.jpg41bb5f06d1542adab6010ef782be16eb.jpg

Playfield arrived back from Tim at Hot Rodded Pins. As expected , it looks absolutely brilliant. A bit of Brazilian wax applied to start.

cc71dde612ffa3b2f5d911e88ae036ca.jpg64d12d9a297cd2ed3af4c44bcdc23e97.jpg

It’s tough to picture such a shine!

Lane guides, post etc fitted to the top side first. This allows me to tighten up all the nuts on the bottom without congestion of the wire looms etc

8fb202b75947c5ce9176b1a3a7cb16f1.jpg

I use an old TAF playfield to store my wire looms. Wrap it up with cling film and then slide everything carefully across.

a67188332631033438fa165283c976c3.jpg

That looks great I am currently In the middle of a restore of the same machine which I hope to sell on here as well. I got a completely new playfield and am very slowly and meticulously going over it bit by bit salvaging as much of the original parts which is so far about 90% but I'm giving every part an intense clean and check before re installing it back onto the playfield I also have a complete set of brand new plastics for the upper playfield and going over the cabinet with a new set of Decals. My legs and lock down bar had been painted with red and didn't look that great but after using paint stripper it wiped away to reveal chrome legs and lock down bar so I got lucky there.. Yours looks like it's coming along great and what a great choice of machine to do it to historically it holds significance being the first with a cannon and video mode, it will look great when your finished, can't wait to see how it comes along

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy working on the playfield.

Just about done. Did a final order of a few plastic bits I just wasn’t happy with from PSPA

Aiming to drop her into the cab on Thursday or Friday

[emoji4]

a4fad093e99d43ea082e12303a8e0fc2.jpg52481a73821ea69c5a442a3c962c1aa8.jpgd8eea9204acdff206805b06244655e38.jpgd6f04d725c1b11b33c9dcf46ed07ddbf.jpg

Been busy working on the playfield.

Just about done. Did a final order of a few plastic bits I just wasn’t happy with from PSPA

Aiming to drop her into the cab on Thursday or Friday

[emoji4]

a4fad093e99d43ea082e12303a8e0fc2.jpg52481a73821ea69c5a442a3c962c1aa8.jpgd8eea9204acdff206805b06244655e38.jpgd6f04d725c1b11b33c9dcf46ed07ddbf.jpg

Would it have been the red bumper caps and lane guides being too orange?

Just re read my post. New parts ordered from pspa. Ordered yesterday and already on their way. Great stuff!

2 new plastics. Metal ramp cover, t800, and the t1000 piece under the right wire form.

Bumper caps all good

Just re read my post. New parts ordered from pspa. Ordered yesterday and already on their way. Great stuff!

2 new plastics. Metal ramp cover, t800, and the t1000 piece under the right wire form.

Bumper caps all good

Yeah, sorry, but all I can see is the bit I quoted. That’s why it looks like only plastics you weren’t happy with. I had really orange looking things from them, maybe a bad batch?

It looks absolutely stunning. I'm in the middle of the same thing except mine had a few of the original metal post replaced with different posts and I can't find the original ones anywhere

Do you have a part number?

Do you have a part number?

Got a couple but I did just order a couple of them from pspa but I'd have to cross check but here goes

02-3905 x1

02-4020 x3 (possibly ordered)

02-4424-1 x1

02-4434 x1

024423 x1

02-4056 x1

02-4271-1 x1

02-4535 x1

Top lane covers I was looking for too

Some of these things I've ordered I just can't remember. I know I couldn't get 5 white targets so I bought buttons as mine are still Good I was just being lazy and those top lane covers.

Sent from my G8141 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Search for those part numbers on google or marco. e.g.

02-4424-1 http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4424-1

02-4434 http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4434

024423 http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4423

02-4056 http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4056

Sure postage can suck, but if you can find the parts you want maybe it's worth it.

You could try emailing PBR too. They do have Williams stuff that they don't list on their website. Add WLL- to the part number. eg. 02-4036-1 will be in their system as WLL-02-4036-1 if they have it.