Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

SEGA Master System 50/60Hz kit

For sale:

First small run of my switchless 50/60Hz kits specifically designed for the SEGA Master System I.

Kit includes:

- Assembled PCB with pre-programmed PIC16F630

- Bi-colour LED (BLUE / GREEN)

- 3 pin LED spacer

- Adhesive foam pad

- 25cm lengths of all required wiring

- Resealable anti static bag

Installation instructions may be downloaded here (one link is for the earlier M4 motherboard and the other is for the newer VA6 motherboard):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B10JEKHkXafmV0dyTjVlTldMS1E/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B10JEKHkXafmd1lVa21MLTBDUm8/view?usp=drivesdk

Price is $20.90 postage inclusive (standard postage via an AusPost padded bag)

PM me or post here if interested. :)

PayPal payment link:

https://www.paypal.me/FSkilton/20.90aud

20170913_202237.thumb.jpg.06c47916a72292fbdcc319a96e2bfff5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Tim's fm board does language switching, my kit handles 50/60Hz switching. :)

You should buy one, much better than the messy jobs I've seen Google pics of.

Tim's is all i need, i only use 60Hz as a rule. I dont play any games that play wrong on that. My FM board came with two switches, and i have those inside the back cover where they dont affect the looks of the console in any way.

The way i do MS2 consoles is a lot more tidy than the typical ones you see, i put a push-button switch on the rear, remove the RF box, then add the 8 pin DIN in its place for RGB and composite.

Ive seen some pretty tacky looking jobs using toggle switches though yes.

When you have time, some pics for inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

So you use the mini DIN plug, same as Mega Drive 2, PCB mounted and exposed through the existing RF hole? If so, that's a very impressive way of doing it. I was going to try something similar but thought the RF module might be painful to remove. What I am going to try is a panel mount 8 DIN socket, same spec as the Master System/Mega Drive 1, and perform an RGB/composite mod that way. Just waiting for parts to arrive.

I have an smsfm board in my MS1 with a single 3 way switch, hidden in the expansion bay, to toggle fm/psg/language.

Do you add a power LED to your modded MS2's? I was going to use a metal bezel but think I might use a 3mm LED and plastic bezel, mounted on the top side of the console. Probably somewhere in the middle of the power switch and pause button.

When you have time, some pics for inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

So you use the mini DIN plug, same as Mega Drive 2, PCB mounted and exposed through the existing RF hole? If so, that's a very impressive way of doing it. I was going to try something similar but thought the RF module might be painful to remove. What I am going to try is a panel mount 8 DIN socket, same spec as the Master System/Mega Drive 1, and perform an RGB/composite mod that way. Just waiting for parts to arrive.

I have an smsfm board in my MS1 with a single 3 way switch, hidden in the expansion bay, to toggle fm/psg/language.

Do you add a power LED to your modded MS2's? I was going to use a metal bezel but think I might use a 3mm LED and plastic bezel, mounted on the top side of the console. Probably somewhere in the middle of the power switch and pause button.

I did i tutorial type deal on Sega 16 forum, will see if i can dig it up.

I use a panel mount.

The RF module is suprisingly easy to remove, its just 3 pins, then a couple ground lugs to remove the solder from and bend them straight. Give it a shot, youll be happy with how easy it comes out.

I never add LEDs to consoles, i sometimes change their colours, but that is it. Because i use a CRT projector on a 125" screen, i dont want extra LEDs lighting up the room, you would be amazed how much they will light up a large screen. I go as far as to cover them on bluray players and receivers.

Ive got one coming, thanks very much for that :)

Once i get some time i will open up a console and throw it all in, then i will see about posting up some pics etc of the job.

I will add though that this is a bloody good deal for what it is, and will result in a far neater factory look console, which i always prefer.

I installed my 50/60Hz kit into a newly acquired MS2. Need to get to the tedious task of creating an install doc but it was smooth sailing. Not much different to the MS1, probably a tad easier in some regards.

I grabbed power directly from the voltage regulator. Used the pause button as there's no reset button. Cut the leg of pin 57 from the chip and soldered directly to it for 50/60Hz switching. For the LED I used a 3mm bi-colour two legged LED with mounting clip. Think it looks quite presentable and was rather easy to install/wire up.

Also did an AV mod and language switch while I had it opened.

20170929_004024.thumb.jpg.c160507ea39736d2147b3921c0909783.jpg

20170929_003731.thumb.jpg.afbe5dfd313e6b2b604ddfc6b36143a4.jpg

20170929_003700.thumb.jpg.61c2e4432ebf086b07e102e70d678eff.jpg

20170929_003714.thumb.jpg.4f111b200c49fba72b638e316acd1a7e.jpg

20170929_003834.thumb.jpg.a483be8021e991aac35800f383b89783.jpg

I installed my 50/60Hz kit into a newly acquired MS2. Need to get to the tedious task of creating an install doc but it was smooth sailing. Not much different to the MS1, probably a tad easier in some regards.

I grabbed power directly from the voltage regulator. Used the pause button as there's no reset button. Cut the leg of pin 57 from the chip and soldered directly to it for 50/60Hz switching. For the LED I used a 3mm bi-colour two legged LED with mounting clip. Think it looks quite presentable and was rather easy to install/wire up.

Also did an AV mod and language switch while I had it opened.

It does look really good mate yes, came up well. The LED looks like it belongs there, but that would be something i would add to the unside, probably under the front edge so it didnt add light to my room.

I did some testing years ago with my light meter and the LED on my H/K receiver added quite a lot of light to my screen, even though it isnt facing the screen. I have them covered up with white electrical tape so i can still just see it is on, but hardly any light is sprayed around the room.

Ofcourse this is all for nothing if youre not using a projector on a large white screen, and for video games it doesnt matter as much, but for movies it has a bit of a negative impact on greyscale and black levels ( if youre using a digital projector then black levels are pretty terrible anyway, but not with a CRT )

• 2 weeks later...

My kit arrived, thanks so much for that Frank!

I havent had time to do more than just look at it yet, but the kit is great, it has everything there and its top quality. Ive got a couple untouched MS1s there so when i have more time i will pull one out and do the job.

1 has just snail maze, and the other has Hang On, so im not sure which one ill mod yet. Will decide when i look in the boxes, but probably the Hang On console as it is 50Hz, the other one is the 3D glasses set and is 60Hz.

My stock of the first batch is now sold out.

RetroSales are now stocking my kit and have a few left which can be purchased here:

https://www.retrosales.com.au/products/mod-kit-sega-master-system-ii-switchless-av-rgb-mod-50-60hz-joel-hennessey-frank-skilton

They have also made an install video which can be viewed here:

I have slightly altered the PCB design and further tweaked the code. A new batch will be available in the next month or so.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...