Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Arcade Machine - Need audit of software/hardware, $ offered (Melbourne)

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Custom Arcade Machine - Need audit of software/hardware, $ offered (Melbourne)

[UPDATED 31-12-17 - 1:45pm]

Hey everyone,

This is a service request, and im willing to pay for the right persons time:

I was wondering if there was anyone out there in the Melbourne area that could come round, audit the machine and help me understand how the back end works. Id like to make sure all software is the latest, and that the controls are mapped properly, plus be shown how to add / remove games from the rom list.

I recently purchased a custom made arcade machine thats running off a Hyperspin system, but a lot of the games either dont work, are unresponsive to the arcade controls or pop up some sort of error. The company i bought it off are not being helpful at all

[UPDATES:]

Requested system info below:
    - PC Tower running Windows 10
    - Software: Hyperspin, MamePGUI, MameUI32, Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, Future Pinball, Daphne
    - 'ARCADE' Folder in My Documents: It looks like they just have a portable HD with a bunch of software on it and dump it into My Documents on the PC. There a lot of extra temp files & portable hard drive software files that are unnecessary.

Errors:
    - NBA Jam - DirectDraw Init Error: #2 , then once i press 'SELECT', it opens a new small window that says 'Fusion 3.6 Genesis 32x - NBA JAM TOURNAMENT'
    - Metal Slug - Player 1 buttons are unresponsive. 'START' works but 'INSERT COIN' brings up some sort of debug options?
    - MULTIPLE GAMES where the controllers dont map to any commands within the game, some games Player 1 doesnt work but Player 2 does, etc
    Last edited by snukeniz; 31st December 2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: member requested update

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    A lot of these companies dump a whole lot of ROMS onto a PC or a Raspberry Pi and then say comes with, '10 000 games' despite the fact that a shitload of the games are clones, different region versions, or don't work.

The errors you are getting will be from ROMS that are either mismatched to the version of MAME that is running, not there are all, missing CHDs, or a number of other reasons. You might be missing BIOS files for various systems etc. Seriously, the list of issues that can go wrong with badly configured ROMS/emulators is massive.

It would be good to provide some info first, this way whoever you find to assist, can be armed with more info on what they need to fix.

Take some photos/videos of the errors you are encountering and post them. Also find out if the machine is running a standard PC or a Raspberry Pi/other micro PC. This will be a good starting point.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Thanks for your reply!
    I've updated the main post with the below information:

Requested system info below:
    - PC Tower running Windows 10
    - Software: Hyperspin, MamePGUI, MameUI32, Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, Future Pinball, Daphne
    - 'ARCADE' Folder in My Documents: It looks like they just have a portable HD with a bunch of software on it and dump it into My Documents on the PC. There a lot of extra temp files & portable hard drive software files that are unnecessary.

Errors:
    - NBA Jam - DirectDraw Init Error: #2 , then once i press 'SELECT', it opens a new small window that says 'Fusion 3.6 Genesis 32x - NBA JAM TOURNAMENT'
    - Metal Slug - Player 1 buttons are unresponsive. 'START' works but 'INSERT COIN' brings up some sort of debug options?
    - MULTIPLE GAMES where the controllers dont map to any commands within the game, some games Player 1 doesnt work but Player 2 does, etc

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    The DirectDraw error means that the emulator is trying to run in an unsupported graphics mode. Could be driver related, could be emulator settings related. The window popping up after that is a Megadrive emulator, not sure what's happening there.

With Metal Slug (or any other game) if you go into the settings, which you usually achieve by hooking up a USB keyboard and hitting the TAB key, you will be able to remap the controllers for both MAME globally (all games) or just Metal Slug. All the games with not working controllers just need controller remapping. Try to get into the settings using a USB keyboard, remap some controls and then report back.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    643 Post(s)
    Where in Victoria are you located?

Cheers,
    Matthew

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Fitzroy!

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    512 Post(s)
    Sounds like they have done what many have alredy said, they've just dumped the Hyperspin setup without configuring it.
    I'd start by backing up the Hyperspin drive, that way if you make any changes that totally mess the system up you can always go back to the start.
    Next thing would be to find the [Emulators] folder and start by going through and configuring each one's controller inputs individually.
    If you get a dx (direct x) error and it says you are missing a certain. dll file (eg. d3dx9_41.dll) then you'll need to download that .dll and save it to your Windows [System] folder.
    There is a good chance that the video card doesn't support D3D and you will need to install one that does in order to get many of the emulators up and running.
    There's plenty of other pitfalls when running Hyperspin and hopefully another member in Melbourne with experience can sort it out for you.
    Some pics of the PC setup would be helpful, mainly inside the case to determine whether or not they've fitted a video card that can supprt the emulators.
    Last edited by Kaizen; 31st December 2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    512 Post(s)
    I contacted them through their Gumtree ad and asked a few questions.

98% work you say???
    False advertising I say.
    Last edited by Kaizen; 1st January 2018 at 01:01 AM.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

haha, man, VERY false advertising. Ive played 2 games, and yesterday couldnt find a single game that would work. :|

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snukeniz View Post
    haha, man, VERY false advertising. Ive played 2 games, and yesterday couldnt find a single game that would work. :|
    I'm betting it's mainly arcade games that don't work?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information