Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Read and Write Linux partitions from windows ?

Jed

Just wondering what the best app is to use so I can access, read and write files within linux partitions on a microsd from within windows.

I've tried searching and downloaded/tried out a few (extexplore, ext2ifs, extfsd) but none of them seem to be able to read the Linux partitions on my microsd.

Any reccomendations welcome, cheers!

Grab OSFMount

https://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

You mount the drive, un-check read only and start modifying.

Normally you would mount the image, make your mods then write it back to the SD-Card or USB

Brad

This isn't suitable, but it's my fault for describing what i was looking for wrong :(

I have a micro-sd that contains a retropie image. On the sd there are windows files and linux files I can't access unless I put it into my linux-boot laptop which isn't possible at the moment (my wife has stolen it.)

So I'm after an app that can browse the linux files on the sd from within windows.

I remember a while back someone reccomended an app here and it worked great. But now I can't remember what it is, and can't find the thread either...

old, i'm getting old...

• Administrators
This isn't suitable, but it's my fault for describing what i was looking for wrong :(

I have a micro-sd that contains a retropie image. On the sd there are windows files and linux files I can't access unless I put it into my linux-boot laptop which isn't possible at the moment (my wife has stolen it.)

So I'm after an app that can browse the linux files on the sd from within windows.

I remember a while back someone reccomended an app here and it worked great. But now I can't remember what it is, and can't find the thread either...

old, i'm getting old...

You grab this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Create and image of your SD Card using Win32 Disk Imager

Use OSFMount to read/edit/save image to new version

Use Win32 Disk Imager to write it back to your Card.

I've done it heaps of times.

You could also try this: http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Brad

You grab this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Create and image of your SD Card using Win32 Disk Imager

Use OSFMount to read/edit/save image to new version

Use Win32 Disk Imager to write it back to your Card.

I've done it heaps of times.

Brad

i have that app and use it to backup the retropie image, but writing a 64gb to microsd takes a long time.

I'd prefer to just make the changes to the files I need to from within windows without having to write a new imge. there must be some sort of app that does it....

• Administrators
i have that app and use it to backup the retropie image, but writing a 64gb to microsd takes a long time.

I'd prefer to just make the changes to the files I need to from within windows without having to write a new imge. there must be some sort of app that does it....

Try the extension I linked at the end OR run a linux VM inside Virtual Box and read it that way.

Brad

You want a program called Paragon ExtFS.

Works wonders, I use it for RetroPie too.

Another option is to install Linux on a USB stick.

Paragon ExtFS is great! exactly what I was after, just insert the card into windows pc and it loads as if it was a windows volume, read and write. thanks for that :023:

• 4 weeks later...
You want a program called Paragon ExtFS.

Works wonders, I use it for RetroPie too.

Another option is to install Linux on a USB stick.

Hey Frank,

Wondering if you've seen the same issue I'm experiencing with file copies using Paragon Ext FS.

I finally got around to completing my new build of Retropie updated to latest platform. Copied all my files over using the app, all seemed good when viewed on the PC, can see the Linux partitions, can copy files to them, and read them back, all there.. BUT, once the Pi boots, none of the files I have copied are there. Shut down Pi, put the chip back in PC, open with Paragon ExtFX running. All the files are there.

Ever seen this happen / know of any solution ? I can just go back to my USB-stickboot of Linux and get this done, but I'd really like to use Paragon - if it worked...

Once you've finished copying/pasting/editing etc make sure you unmount the drive first before removing the SD card. Failure to do so means the changes you made won't permanently take effect.

From memory you can right click the Paragon task bar icon and there's an option in there to dismount the SD. It can take a few seconds so wait until the drive is completely unmounted before removing the SD.

Once you've finished copying/pasting/editing etc make sure you unmount the drive first before removing the SD card. Failure to do so means the changes you made won't permanently take effect.

From memory you can right click the Paragon task bar icon and there's an option in there to dismount the SD. It can take a few seconds so wait until the drive is completely unmounted before removing the SD.

I eject the SD from windows before physical removal, but i haven't done the same from within Paragon, i didn't realise you had to do that. Sounds like that's the likely reason then - thanks for that!

Yep, do it from Paragon first. I think it's a safety feature, so if you make a mistake you don't necessarily do any permanent damage.

Drove me nuts as well when I was editing config files and changes weren't taking effect.

Thanks, that did the trick!

An unrelated question if i can pick your brain a bit more. how do you handle your audio ? In my new retropie build 4.3, i can't get sound working. it says it can't find the sound card. On my old retropie build (very old, i think it wa 2.3) sound worked fine, i was running it straight from the 3.5mm audio jack on the pi to the CRT TV's audio in, it's an old but huge, really nice Grundig CRT i got for $20 on gumtree, has VGA.

I have an hdmi --> VGA adaptor that also has an audio out in the adaptor.

I've tried going from both the Pi's onboard 3.5mm jack, and the jack on the adaptor, but can't get sound on either.

I know i should be doing something in the config.txt. I have

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=1

to force VGA.

I also have

hdmi_drive=1

Can you notice if i'm doing anything wrong there ? Tks in advance.

Not sure about that one.

I haven't tinkered with retropie for a while, think the last version I used was 4.1. I never did anything for audio/video though, it was just plug n play from install.

all good, i got it going tonight.

next problem, no c64 or amiga emulators on this latest 4.3 image by default, inconceivable..