Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Hey mates

Am keen to get a thread going so we can get some info out for anyone thinking of going to Pinburgh 2018. At this stage there is around a dozen people from the greater Netherworld family keen on going and competing.

Would love to get a show of interest to see if anyone else is considering going and some advice from those that have been before.

Will be an intense month as the Brisbane Masters is the weekend before. My plan would be to fly to the US as soon as possible after the Masters to get acclimatised to the time zone. After the event I will probably hit up New York or Chicago or both to find as many arcade bars as my brain can handle.

I will update this initial post with any important info over the next couple of months for those that are interested.

Things I know so far:

Pinburgh Dates

- Thursday 26th to Saturday 29th July 2018

Tickets & Cost

- $120US for Pinburgh

- $100US for general admission to Replay FX

- you must buy both so total is $220US

- Tickets will go on sale Feb 24, 2018 at noon USA-EST

Notes

- each registered player receives an identifying number and this number is used to track his or her play

- all players must check in by 9:30 am on Day 1. Players who are not checked in by 9:30 am may be removed from the tournament

- online pre-registration is required

Quick Overview

Pinburgh’s match-play format offers a social experience as players from all over the world compare skills during a series of multiplayer matches spanning the first two days. On Thursday, each player will compete in five rounds, each consisting of four, four-player matches to determine the appropriate skill division for all players. Divisions will be marked as A / B / C / D, with Division A being the most skilled. On Friday, players will compete against other players solely within their own skill division in order to determine seeding for the final rounds. On Saturday, the top 40 in each division will compete in separate divisional finals

Useful Links

https://replayfx.org/tickets/

https://papa.org/competitions/pinburgh-match-play-championship/pinburgh-rules/

http://replayfx.org/schedule/

http://pinburgh.com/

Edited by Jimmy Nails

I did a complete write up of the event here: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/57646-Pinburgh-III-here-we-come!!!?highlight=pinburgh

The problem is that photobucket stopped hosting free pics so not sure what I can do other than pay $500 to be able to show them again online... Would like to go btw but highly unlikely

Not sure about the others but for me I recommend getting to LAX or SF and staying the night there before travelling internally. Its aboout 13 hours flight time and all the stuff in customs so you would be awake for 20 hours or so on the first day. Find a motel and stay the night before getting on a domestic flight and going to Pittsburgh which is another 6 hours or so flight time. As for a hotel, I thought Extended Stay in Carnegie was good, however Pinburgh is in town rather than it being at the PAPA venue. If someone can tell me a good way to upload a few hundred pics and link them to this thread, I will do that again.

Flights already booked. Arriving in Pittsburgh Monday the 23rd giving myself a few days to adjust, as last time I was a bit jetlagged having flown in the night before the comp started. The Replay Foundation (Papa) normally offer discounted hotels around the Convention center I'm guessing will go on sale the same day tickets are on sale (Feb 24th). The Pirates are also in town that Weekend if anyone wanted to watch the baseball with tickets already on sale.

Flights already booked. Arriving in Pittsburgh Monday the 23rd giving myself a few days to adjust, as last time I was a bit jetlagged having flown in the night before the comp started. The Replay Foundation (Papa) normally offer discounted hotels around the Convention center I'm guessing will go on sale the same day tickets are on sale (Feb 24th). The Pirates are also in town that Weekend if anyone wanted to watch the baseball with tickets already on sale.

Not entirely sure what im doing yet but im keen to split a room with someone if they are interested

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Howdy everyone

Was just looking at some airfares to the US for a client in July and came across a good fare that would fit you Pinburgh peeps. It is especially good for those not just wanting to get to Pittsburgh, but also get to see a bit of the USA while you are there

See below

Air New Zealand NZ136 Sunday 22nd July 2018 Brisbane - Auckland 12:20 - 17:25

Air New Zealand NZ8 Sunday 22nd July 2018 Auckland - San Francisco 19:45 - 12:55

*********2 DAYS IN SAN FRANCISCO*********

Air New Zealand NZ9391 Tuesday 24th July 2018 San Francisco - Pittsburgh, PA 09:00 - 16:52

****** 7 DAYS IN PITTSBURG**********

Air New Zealand NZ6838 Tuesday 31st July 2018 Pittsburgh, PA - Houston 18:00 - 20:22

Air New Zealand NZ29 Tuesday 31st July 2018 Houston - Auckland 22:05 - 05:55 Arrives two days later

Air New Zealand NZ135 Thursday 2nd August 2018 Auckland - Brisbane 09:20 - 11:05

Total Cost: $1370 Including taxes

This airfare would basically give you a couple of days in San Fran, get you into Pittsburg before the event - then you can return via Houston. To add to this, if you wanted to extend your time in Houston to get a chance to explore Austin, this can be added for NO EXTRA CHARGE.

If you are from NZ and have family/friends in Auckland, a stopover in one of either direction, for only an additional $50-60 worth of taxes is also an option.

So essentially for roughly $1400 you can get an itinerary that includes Auckland, San Francisco, Pittsburgh & Houston.

If neither of San Fran or Houston grab ya Bob's - then another option could be Los Angeles.

Essentially AIR NZ transit through Auckland + through the US in San Fran, Houston or LAX which means as long as the right booking class is available on your preferred date to get the special fare - you can combine any combination of those (only 1 in the US from each direction) and fall into that $1350-$1450 ball park. Please note Air NZ do not have a flight though LAX-Pittsburgh, so if that was an idea for you - you might have to consider some "open jawing"

What is an open jaw? An open-jaw ticket is an airline return ticket where the destination and/or the origin are not the same in both directions.

Car hire is a cheap way to travel in America - the Greyhound buses are cheaper again, although that comes with a massive disclaimer of you may be raped, shot or stabbed. You might laugh, but the Greyhound buses over there are like the Mos Eisley Cantina with wheels.

Its a pretty cool fare, especially for those that want to of more than just Pinburgh.

Another idea worth considering is that Pittsburgh pretty much sits between New York, Philly, Boston & Chicago, among other great cities. So if while over there you wanted to check out one of those places as well (i.e. TNT in Philly ), we can re-arrange it to look a little bit like this - using "open jaws"

Air New Zealand NZ136 Sunday 22nd July 2018 Brisbane - Auckland 12:20 - 17:25

Air New Zealand NZ8 Sunday 22nd July 2018 Auckland - San Francisco 19:45 - 12:55

****2 days in San Fran****

Air New Zealand NZ9391 Tuesday 24th July 2018 San Francisco - Pittsburgh, PA 09:00 - 16:52

****Pittsburgh over Pinburgh****

***Open Jaw from Pittsburgh to Philly by either rented car ( approx 4 hour drive ), local train/greyhound or additional internal US flight (don't recommend flight as very expensive comparitively for a direct service )

Air New Zealand NZ6867 Thursday 2nd August 2018 Philadelphia - Houston 08:00 - 10:45

***5 days in Houston***

Air New Zealand NZ29 Tuesday 7th August 2018 Houston - Auckland 22:05 - 05:55 Arrives two days later

Air New Zealand NZ135 Thursday 9th August 2018 Auckland - Brisbane 09:20 - 11:05

Cost: $1375

Confused yet? Just to really stuff with your heads, using :openJaws: on this airfare, what about something looking a lil like this ......................

Air New Zealand NZ732 Thursday 19th July 2018 Brisbane - Auckland 08:45 - 13:55

Air New Zealand NZ6 Thursday 19th July 2018 Auckland - Los Angeles 19:30 - 12:35

*** Stay in LAX & few days & do some theme parks***

***OPENJAW from LAX to San Francisco -( approx 6 to 7 hour Drive down the coast)***

*** Stay in San Fran a few days***

United Airlines UA2229 Tuesday 24th July 2018 San Francisco - Pittsburgh, PA 09:00 - 16:52

***Do Pinburgh***

***OPENJAW from Pittsburgh to New York City -(approx. 6 to 7 hour drive)***

Air New Zealand NZ6687 Thursday 2nd August 2018 New York (La Guardia) - Houston 12:15 - 15:35

***Few days in Houston***

Air New Zealand NZ29 Sunday 5th August 2018 Houston - Auckland 22:05 - 05:55 Arrives two days later

Air New Zealand NZ135 Tuesday 7th August 2018 Auckland - Brisbane 09:20 - 11:05

Cost: $1,425

Clear as mud? good. obviously this is getting really confusing & that is pretty much the whole point. If you are flexible and wanting to get the most out of your time in America there are some really great options out there to consider by being creative with your itinerary. For approx $1450 + a rented car (or 2) with your mates you can essentially get New Zealand, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, New York, Houston - IF you are flexible and take advantage of the right deals.

Sorry to confuse the shit out of you all but saw this one come up and thought to myself - damn you could make a pretty sweet trip for Pinburgh for a really good price on this type of ticket :)

• 3 weeks later...
All tickets were in the hold queue within 45 seconds. A handful became available again after the fifteen minute timeout, and that was that. It really sold out in less than a minute.

I'll be there.

Michi.

45 seconds they say. How did you do it, Michi? What is yr technique for success? I want to go next year.

45 seconds they say. How did you do it, Michi? What is yr technique for success? I want to go next year.

No trick or anything. I just waited until it was 3:00 am and bought the tickets. Was really anticlimactic, sorry.

Michi.