Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What is the best/decent priced eprom burner.?

kezza

Question

Hey guys.

Did a bit of hunting around for a eprom burner on ebay.

2 spring up.

Just wondering what one would be the best for just burning mortal kombat Revision roms.

And will i also need a uv light eraser? Or do these devices delete burnt data?

Cheers in advance.

Kezza

Screenshot_2017-12-26-17-25-03.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-26-17-34-56.png

5 answers to this question

You'll need a 9v plug pack as well, some eproms need external power to program.

Just make sure the devices you want to program are on the list, for example it won't program mask roms for Street Fighter II.

I also use an old Data IO 29A for older stuff like 2708s, it's a solid unit and still going strong after 30+ years.

Like any mass produced Chinese product, if you get 5 years out of the GQ4X you're doing well.

I bought the Data IO specifically for reading/burning 2708s on Space Invaders boards, none of the newer units will do these. It requires a serial port and runs in DOS. It's truly oldschool and was the same price as a new car when new.

On the other end of the scale is the GQ4X which runs in windows through a USB connection.

You won't find many of the Data IO units for sale and what you need to do is work out what range of chips younexpect to be programming then do the researh to make sure that the programmer will at least cover them.

I'm not the most experienced in this area so that's just what I have learnt so far.

Maybe some other members with more experience will chime in.