Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 34 - Game 9 ~ Crush Roller (closes 14-Jan)

OOO

In case anyone wants a look at the INP, it's over at MARP.

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/8/f/e/...30_wolf193.zip

Just in case you're wondering about the 4.3M score, I submitted it there with the score achieved after the default number of lives (3+1). As is the MARP way. :)

Was trying to put together a list of tips, but get a little tied in knots between trying to be exhaustive and trying to be concise. So here's some stuff...

• Try to herd the fish together, as best you can. So many benefits to doing so!
  • Patterns for clearing most of the screen help a lot! You will want to abandon the pattern to roll fish (where you get most of your points), but clearing most of each screen first helps a great deal.
  • Fish behaviour is different on the first screen to the rest of the game. Don't be surprised if your first screen strategies aren't so useful thereafter!
  • Use the vertical roller as a means of escape rather than point-scoring. The horizontal roller is where you'll do your best work!
  • The fish get smarter the more you roll them on one screen, but they can be outsmarted! Push the horizontal roller back and forth (time it such that you don't get into trouble) and you'll notice them try to creep closer and closer. Feels risky (because it is), but when they get sufficiently close, you can back away from the roller drawing them into the roller corridor, then rush at the roller, confusing them into darting back & forth in the middle of the corridor...
    ... you really need to see this in action to fully get the idea! But this strategy is how you can score more points per screen!
  • Don't bother trying to roll more than 10 fish per screen. Can't be done... and you can only catch the 10th fish if it's on the same roll as the 9th. In my last game, I made a deliberate effort to move on after 8 rolls, and even sometimes if things started looking risky (if the fish split up while I'm trying to roll them). There's always the next screen...
    A caveat that there is a way to leech on the first screen, but I won't explain how. It's high risk and you benefit more from moving on. And reiterating, it's a leech.
  • The critter (cat, mouse, bird etc) appears after you've painted exactly 1000 points on that screen (i.e. points gained by rolling fish do not count towards this). Not sure if that helps, but it's a neat trick if you're keeping track of your score at the end of the previous screen, and try catch the critter just as it appears.
  • There's a couple of blind-spots for the fish exiting the tunnels from top-left or bottom-right...
    0005.png.16a5729b9bad4753220d62b9ef2b0163.png
    ...if they're close enough together and you have a few body-length's distance from them, a quick right & right around these corners often makes them retreat back through the tunnel. But they'll come back at you from the other side of the screen so it's only a short respite! And warning... it doesn't always work.

Hope that helps!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope that helps!

Just reading your tips gave me another 3 grand!

I thought this was just a dumb paintbrush game (just like many think Mr. Do! is just a dumb clown game) but your tips have made me think otherwise.

There is a bit more to this game than I first thought.

Thanks for opening my little clown eyes.

9b624a27f5f2abdceef8957e4f047cd3.jpg

Definitely got the timing better now, got quite a few 9k's during this game. Still a bit too greedy and not getting the bird/tyre/whatever straight away makes for an annoying situation at the end of the board. Thanks for the tips Terence :)

0001.png.69915ebd582a2f61a386318e83e1cc41.png

I'm done. Struggling to break 20K and starting to think that 80K was nothing more than a fluke. Frustration levels, while not at "Bomb Jack, delete the rom" levels, are heading towards redline fast. It's time to stop before something ends up in small pieces.

Time to pay a relaxing visit to Sinistar

crus0000.png.d47b2e284b39287e900726d4072f5bcd.png

Did this a few days ago (but during this round)...was hoping I'd do better, but even that was a struggle, and I basically just ran boards until they got too fast.

- - - Updated - - -

crus0002.png.7663050b5baefb0574ba7e5ecb099029.png

thought I'd try one last time...managed to get a 6400 on the last screen... :D couldn't let spaceman beat me :p

• Super Moderator

I played stacks of games today and reset most due to deaths in the first two stages.

I realllllly dont like the first 4 to 5 stages anymore

I reallly like stages past 200 K when you start getting great points on the first roll, (I think I like most when you start getting 9K for the first roll)

Anyway I saw Creech hit 277k so I had to have another go

crus0018.png.542e5d72cf047f3f75f4a2be1d187c03.png

Beer O'clock and off to Sinstar to see I can crack 20K lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122649[/ATTACH]

Excellent!

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122658[/ATTACH]

Excellent squared!

- - - Updated - - -

This game is now closed. The final scoreboard will be posted shortly.

Day 17 of 17.

Final Results ...

oT2te8w.png

I think that maybe Crush Roller was seen in a different light this time around. It is a very challenging game and takes a tremendous amount of skill and “frustration control” to do well.

creech scored an excellent 272,940 points to take 4th place. Foot kept improving his game, scoring new PBs and really hit a great 345,490 points with only a few minutes to go for 3rd place. Donald Hayes played terrific for a stellar 731,520 points for 2nd place.

Congratulations to Terence Wong for winning Game 9. He almost doubled the world record (incredible!) and posted some great tips to help fellow gamers (much appreciated!). Absolutely outstanding score and game win!

gDcNqKi.png

Well Game 10 Sinistar is the last game in play for MGLXXXIV. So far “it” has ravaged all comers, but there is still hope for you yet … (Maybe? :safeyet:)

:)