Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Under Playfield damage

Hi Gang,

Wonder how you would go about fixing this as I am looking to buy it.

It under the play field where both brackets have been broken off on a Star Wars DE. Do people strip down and repair these and or do they replace the bracket with something else?

I am sure this is a common problem but could not seem to find any posts.

Thanks in advance.

bracket_left.thumb.jpg.dff5b20e01a3350cacb6b0dae6fac77c.jpg bracket_right.thumb.jpg.9db248a3495489d9fe75ee2a7104c7d7.jpg

For my twilight zone, the rocket kicker had stripped out the screw holes... I filled completely with epoxy (araldite), flushed, then re-drilled pilot screw holes and screwed back down. This repair in particular has been going for over two years with no signs of coming loose again. I have encountered quite a few damaged screw holes under playfield and tackeld all with this method, seems to work marvelously.

For my twilight zone, the rocket kicker had stripped out the screw holes... I filled completely with epoxy (araldite), flushed, then re-drilled pilot screw holes and screwed back down. This repair in particular has been going for over two years with no signs of coming loose again. I have encountered quite a few damaged screw holes under playfield and tackeld all with this method, seems to work marvelously.

Awesome idea. Thanks for sharing. We will be giving this a go this week end.

like to see what part goes there, then you have to work out why its ripped it self out like that, no good fixing it if it's going to happen again

i think i would use matches with wood glue on the screw holes, then some type of filler that dries hard over the top? depends on how fussy you are as long as you can screw the bracket back on you might not see much damage ?

also you could try adding a screw with a washer next to the bracket for extra support , screw into the wood with the washer over hanging on the bracket , put a couple either side

These brackets were rubbish and failed more than they were used.

Stripping the undersized screws was so common, I was moving the post locations over to under the slingshot kickers location, drilling two diagonal holes, to suit two of the 4 screw holes on the bracket, right through the playfield so the holes come through under the slingshot area, install Tee nuts and replace the screws with bolts.

Job done never to cause problems again. The way the factory should have done the job originally.

Its the bracket that holds the play field up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115184[/ATTACH]

These are the same as on TMNT, agreed, Rubbish. In some cases the later skid type supports mounted in two places each can be installed. They are much less prone to ripping the bottom of the playfield apart.

like to see what part goes there, then you have to work out why its ripped it self out like that, no good fixing it if it's going to happen again

i think i would use matches with wood glue on the screw holes, then some type of filler that dries hard over the top? depends on how fussy you are as long as you can screw the bracket back on you might not see much damage ?

also you could try adding a screw with a washer next to the bracket for extra support , screw into the wood with the washer over hanging on the bracket , put a couple either side

It's a piss weak setup with that long bracket on a couple screws that's why they break

Wouldn't recommmend using glued matchsticks and the original holes as it will just do more damage

They really need a bigger steel plate and tapped screws into the plate or the bracket welded to the plate

Single worst thing on de machines.

Replace with the 4 screw ones as a minimum or the skids if they fit.

The second is the stupid pf rail slide which stern still use today. 20 plus years later and they still can't match the Williams system :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with my DE Star Wars although it was missing the support brackets as well. Has anyone ever installed an alternative solution or know where you can buy the original style if I was to repair where they had pulled out from and reinstall

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Under Playfield damage

I have the same problem with my DE Star Wars although it was missing the support brackets as well. Has anyone ever installed an alternative solution or know where you can buy the original style if I was to repair where they had pulled out from and reinstall

Rtbb or pspa should have the 4 screw versions for an almost "like for like" replacement. I'm going to compare my guns and roses brackets vs the space in my sw and jp. The jp won't take a replacement Williams slide (one of the pop bumpers encroaches on the space required) but the sw may.

The only issue is the bigger external bolts that are used so I'd need to possible drill the cabinet. Still undecided about what to do to improve them.

Edit : ok I couldn't find them on either rtbb or pspa. I was sure they used to have them.

Anyway this is what you are looking at for the 4 screw versions (data east support bracket).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151555295126?_mwBanner=1

Edited by Koops

Rtbb or pspa should have the 4 screw versions for an almost "like for like" replacement. I'm going to compare my guns and roses brackets vs the space in my sw and jp. The jp won't take a replacement Williams slide (one of the pop bumpers encroaches on the space required) but the sw may.

The only issue is the bigger external bolts that are used so I'd need to possible drill the cabinet. Still undecided about what to do to improve them.

Edit : ok I couldn't find them on either rtbb or pspa. I was sure they used to have them.

Anyway this is what you are looking at for the 4 screw versions (data east support bracket).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151555295126?_mwBanner=1

Thanks for the link as I could find them at RTBB or PSPA either.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=01-11781

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=01-10726

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=01-10721

This may not be the place to get them, but here are some other options....

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone with basic metal fab skills should be able to make these for you if you want the original style, they are merely a bent up piece of flat bar with a couple of holes drilled in them. Along with myself there are plenty of us here happy to provide dimensions should you require them. They could be made more substantial at the same time, as suggested in some previous posts (larger footprint). After the destruction caused to my TMNT I would be trying to fit the skid type "multi mounting point" setup as used later and with W/B games.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=01-11781

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=01-10726

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=01-10721

This may not be the place to get them, but here are some other options....

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone with basic metal fab skills should be able to make these for you if you want the original style, they are merely a bent up piece of flat bar with a couple of holes drilled in them. Along with myself there are plenty of us here happy to provide dimensions should you require them. They could be made more substantial at the same time, as suggested in some previous posts (larger footprint). After the destruction caused to my TMNT I would be trying to fit the skid type "multi mounting point" setup as used later and with W/B games.

I didn't think about getting something made up. Thanks for offering the dimensions although I do have a couple of other machines I can take one off as a template. I have a Stern with a skid type setup so I will see if that style would fit a DE Star Wars playfield as this would be the best style to install if it suits.

My later data east/sega games have various profiles of skids to acomodate different under playfield requirements and bulkiness, plus there are the two main W/B profiles for other alternatives. I'm sure you will be able to come up with something better than original ;)