Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cocktail Project. What is this Cocktail.

Hi all.

I am about to start my next Cocktail project. Before I do I was wondering if any of you know what this cocktail is? I feel it is a clone of some sort. I have included a pic of the Metal serial plate in case this will be a give away for some one in the know. I Still need to learn a lot when it comes to the power supply of things. This one seems to have 3 transformers, what could be a power supply board behind the monitor and some other power things. I am not 100% sure on what I will do with this one so I am starting the cleaning and learning phase. The cab seems to be in original condition (maybe the lower legs are not legit) and the condition is fantastic including the glass. It also has 2 harnesses? Everything is working bar some movement and fire options on player 2 side. There is also colour graphic glitching when wobbling the cab while playing. I think I have found the source of this. It has come with a 2 layer phoenix board with no markings on it

I have some holidays coming up over the xmas new year period and will be able to do some more tinkering then.

Phoenix.thumb.jpg.2f5f35f16cfc94231198f90f22648d59.jpg

Metal plate and serial numbers

1800413876_Metalplate.thumb.jpg.2d316b22d83ef1d5f871c94f09b377d0.jpg 159217613_PhoenixSerialnumber.thumb.jpg.e25baef16d05b8c793c13ec743e45e57.jpg

Inside

1060047619_Phoenixinside.thumb.jpg.539eae23709b4851274a0a6205f65387.jpg

Is this another power supply?

1085413186_Powersupplyboard.thumb.jpg.898685d3f4ed4eed736b41983aade980.jpg

It has a coin counter still attached and has 55404 plays on it. 11k in 20c pieces. Nice.

I will post updates here as I progress.

Thanks all here at AA.

Cheers.

You just finished another cocktail project didn't you, looks like you may have a problem. I have had a couple of layered pcbs that had a second connector , i think it was for power, but someone with moreof idea will be able to confirm that. And good on you for posting your projects

You will find that the 55404 plays on it is after it was already clocked a dozen times.

It looks to be similar to a Taito clone, you have to remember back to the 70's- 80's, if one company was doing ok with a product, all the companies would copy them, so there would have been many different versions of the same style of machine being made.

That there is a Logitec Space Invaders cab.

Below is a screenshot of the Gummie ad when I bought mine, I still have it.

It was a 680k (8 hour) round trip to pick it up.

Let me know if you need any specific images or info.

KxqT3aO.png

Cab internals...

sn9w9CD.jpg

It's complete and all original including the yellow monitor adjustment tool at the bottom of the image.

I have a spare game board if you want to get it back to 100% original.

Hi all.

I Still need to learn a lot when it comes to the power supply of things. This one seems to have 3 transformers, what could be a power supply board behind the monitor and some other power things. I am not 100% sure on what I will do with this one so I am starting the cleaning and learning phase. The cab seems to be in original condition (maybe the lower legs are not legit) and the condition is fantastic including the glass. It also has 2 harnesses?

One transformer will be a stepdown from 240 to 100v (Japan), another will be an isolation transformer for the monitor and the third will be a multi tap transformer that feeds the power supply with different voltages.

The legs are original but should be chrome plated.

The PCB was a copy of the Taito three layer PCB which has two edge connectors labeled [G] for power and controls and [T] for power to the bottom layer.

Restore it back to original, it's almost there.

Edited by Kaizen

Looking at this picture and seeing the paper ID matches the ink stamp marking means to me this machine did go through the Taito Australia factory as we were the only ones using that style ink stamp and those ID papers although AMF went on to use those paper IDs in there video machines but not the ink stamp.

attachment.php?attachmentid=121249&d=1513472840

When Space Invaders was well and truly finished in Japan, a lot of these Ex Jap machines Space Invaders were imported however most were black and white and this one is a colour and probably converted to a colour in the factory here, something that wasn't unusual as most B/W tubes had massive burn in.

In the conversion process, the stepdown transformer was also fitted enabling 240 volt operation instead of the original 110 volt, coin mech changed and often game boards changed at the customer's request.

They were a cheap alternative being second hand offered by the factory here in Australia.

You just finished another cocktail project didn't you, looks like you may have a problem. I have had a couple of layered pcbs that had a second connector , i think it was for power, but someone with moreof idea will be able to confirm that. And good on you for posting your projects

Yes I have a problem addiction now I think. hahaha.

Wow thank you all for your expert knowledge. It is a very knowledgeable active community.

Thanks to Kaizen with his spare SI board this has become a no brainer to restore to full original.

I will now spend a bit of time cleaning it up.

After work today I had time to give the monitor and chassis a clean up using the same process I used in my previous cocktail project. Simple green and tap water. Once again it has come up like new.

862399959_CleanChassis.thumb.jpg.038f362ca156c5dd66d10c34aedc842b.jpg

Player 2 side was not moving to the left and both buttons were not working. I suspect a ground issue but connections all seem solid. Further investigating will follow.

Thanks Kaizen for the board

Thanks again AA

I will post project pics as I go.

Cheers.

Clean up done.

I removed most parts from inside the cab and cleaned all the wires, inside timber and tightened all screws.

The original power lead was still in great shape but the plug was almost snapped off so I replaced the plug.

I tested the wires and found there was a ground fault on the left movement of player 2. A quick fix and now have all movement and fire and barrier buttons working on player 2.

I knew there was colour glitching on slight movement of the cab. When I put the monitor back in and turned on, it now had no green or red colour. Also I had lost the firing sound and death sound. Bugga. After a bit more research poking and prodding I was able to find the problem. Behind the colour adjustors on the chassis there are 3 (resistors/transistors?) with metal blocks on them. These metal blocks look like heat sinks but I am not sure. These had slight movement where they are soldered to the chassis. A quick dab and bingo all my colours are back. Some fine tuning of the colours and focus and it looks like new.

Inside all cleaned up.

1173477701_Insideclean.thumb.jpg.1e138996e848c2d61145f95d591a0a76.jpg

Monitor back in and working.

Working.thumb.jpg.e01004f01711ae9e83ba7c98a4d0b4f4.jpg

I am cleaning up the coin mech and still have some other odds and ends to do.

Cheers.

When I got the cab working again I had lost more sounds than the ones I was already missing. I did manage to bring those back though.

I am missing the tune sound at the start when you are travelling to the first wave. The sound the big birds make as they are swooping left and right is just not how I remember it. The board is a bootleg Phoenix and the company name at the bottom of demo screen is G.G.I. corp. This may have something to do with it. It is a peaceful tune on the way to the first wave however. I am not concerned with this at the moment as your spacies will be arriving soon :) and the Phoenix will be going to be a change out board for the cab.

It has now been running for about 4 hours without issue and my skills are tight hahaha.

Cheers.

Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump.

This is now complete.

It is back in original condition. Kaizen and I believe that the logitec SI board I received from him could very well have come from this cabinet (long shot but possible). The only thing not original is the extra fire button that could have been installed in the early 80's. I have also modded a chop stick to use as a colour adjuster. I could only find replicas of the information cards from Taito Space Invaders. I did another card up on the right side with information about the games history.

I also found an image of the insert coin and modded it to have a green boarder and $1 coins instead of 25p. The coin mech has been adjusted to now take $1 coins which I think is a fair price to play history :P.

This thing now kicks ass and has been getting a lot of play from everyone that comes around.

Complete

1971342334_Finished1.thumb.jpg.1923d93aab90a6b8e2c9d14aaf7164af.jpg

Thanks all for your input, comments and help.

Thanks again Kaizen for the board and your pro knowledge. Its been a pleasure dealing with you.

Now hmmm... I need a new cab to work on. I would like my next project to be an upright original cab from the 80's In a similar shape to a Taito or a Taito but any upright 80's cab. I will be on the look out.

Cheers.