Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Donkey Kong PCB Repair/need chip programmed?

Mameshane

Question

Hey,

I have an original 2board donkey kong pcb set that has started displaying some graphically issues. see attached images..

it started just last night while playing the game with only a few little dots at the bottom which i noticed right away and over the next 10 minutes or so turned into a line. i decided to turn it off as it was late. after some research today i tried checking voltages and it all seemed fine. i removed my dk remix board and put the z80 cpu back into the socket on the main board to rule out that as an issue (unfortunately snapping a pin on the remix board in the process. anyway thats a separate issue that i will be contacting the manufacturer about for possible repair)

Anyway. i turned the machine on and it all seemed fine for about 10 minutes and then the dots and eventual lines started appearing again.

After some more research online i stumbled across this website.

http://www.brasington.org/arcade/tech/dk/

and noticed that the lines were starting to match one of the images on the page.

It looks like a Bad 3P (2716) chip. as you can see from the website. the colours even match exactly to the error generated through mame.

So, just wondering if anyone has or knows where to buy these and if they would kindly beable to program/flash the chip for me so that i can attempt to replace it and see if that solves the issue.

(i have noticed that mikes arcade sells sets but as i only need one would prefer not to have to buy a full set as they arent cheap for the lot of them.)

I would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks,

donkey kong pcb.jpg this is the location on the chip on the video board. and supposedly that chip is "3P = v_3pt.bin" from the mame romset.

21038011_10155120526457408_1008428729_o.jpg

Edited by Mameshane
added an image.

12 answers to this question

i getting 5v at the power supply and checked at the cpu but was a bit awkward to get to while all plugged in

i havent given them a clean and im not to sure how to, but i will check on google and see how to go about that.

Yep - reseat the ribbon cables too, physically disconnect each one all the way and then reinstall.

Poor connection between boards and between chips and their sockets are by far the mostly likely cause of problem that creeps in when the board warms up.

Obviously do all this while the board is powered off, obvious to most people I know.

ok, i only removed the 3p and 3n chips plus one of the smaller ones right next to it on the board and checked if that made any difference. it had the same glitch. (i will remove them all and reseat them all over the weekend)

i was suggested to swap the 3p and 3n chips on the board to see if the glitch followed. it did briefly then seemed to disappear for a while. i have left them this swapped location for the time being (only a minor difference to the game. colours of the girders, elevators and conveyors (pie level) are incorrect. but the game plays fine other wise) im going to leave the game on for an hour or 2 and see if the glitch reappears. im not really sure what to take from this being that the glitch (and no where near the same extreme as it was) except for a very short time is gone.

if anyone has anymore suggestions let me know and im happy to give them a try. but otherwise on saturday i will sit down and remove each chip one by one clean and replace as well as the ribbon cables and see how that goes.

i brought come WD40 contact cleaner from bunnings today after a recommendation.

one by one i removed each socketed chip. lightly sanded them to so that they were shiny. (there were a couple on the smaller chips that were a bit black almost) i then sprayed the contact cleaner over the socketed areas and any bits of the board that looked a little dirty. let them board dry then reseated the chips. i took photos to take note of orientation of the chips as well as to double check the location. i also unclipped the ribbon cables between the boards and reclipped them back in. i let the board sit for another 10 mins or so to make sure the board was definately dry. (the stuff drys super quick anyway)

i plugged it in with the 3P & 3N chips in their correct sockets and turned it on. i heard the boot sound and felt instant relief that i still had a board that booted.

the board loaded up and i sat and stared for about 10 minutes to see if the glitch would show up again. nothing happened so i played a couple quick games (10 mins or so each) no glitch in sight.

I let the board run for another hour or so and still no sign! :D switched it off mounted the board properly in the cabinet again and turned the cab back on still all working after another 30mins or so :D

it appears that the issue is gone. im going to play some proper games tonight for a couple hours to give it a big test. but at the moment im pretty stoked that it seems to be back in working order!

thanks to everyone for the advice. :D:D:D i will post again tomorrow and let you know how it went after a couple hours of play.

after a few more hours of play over the last day the board is running great! thanks again :D so happy that it was a easy fix! hopefully i get many years out of it before it requires any further repairs.

is there anything i can do to make sure it stays in great condition?

Give it to me to put in my cabinet. Less dust in Brisbane than on the Gold Coast (GC Commonwealth Games are creating issues I hear), and less chance of salt in the air from the ocean - less chance of corrosion. It's the only sensible thing to do.

Glad it's working again. I'm still gonna beat you at the Kong Off :P

• Administrators
after a few more hours of play over the last day the board is running great! thanks again :D so happy that it was a easy fix! hopefully i get many years out of it before it requires any further repairs.

Throw a few moisture absorbers in the bottom of the cab.

I had a couple games tonight, and the board briefly started glitching again for a minute or so then stopped. so unfortunately i dont think i have seen the end of the issue. I will be playing again tomorrow hopefully it doesnt return but i dont like my chances. Open to any further suggestions to how i may fix or get the board fixed?