Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Netherworld Kong Off - 11th and 12th November 2017

Save the date mates!!!

Netherworld is hosting a DK retrospective across the weekend of the 11th and 12th November 2017. Consoles, cabs, history, chat and fun times all based around the worlds favourite man in overalls and his life long beastly adversary.

High score Donkey Kong hit out on the Saturday with the top 8 (or more depending on numbers) playing off in head to head battles on the Sunday.

$500 first prize plus limited edition pin and t-shirts for attendees.

Hit me up at jimmy@netherworldarcade.com to register.

NW-Poster-Donkey-Kong-Website.thumb.jpg.7f247cb558f121538b09f47679f8f79c.jpg

There can only be one King of Kong

Save the date mates!!!

Netherworld is hosting a DK retrospective across the weekend of the 11th and 12th November 2017. Consoles, cabs, history, chat and fun times all based around the worlds favourite man in overalls and his life long beastly adversary.

High score Donkey Kong hit out on the Saturday with the top 8 (or more depending on numbers) playing off in head to head battles on the Sunday.

$500 first prize plus limited edition pin and t-shirts for attendees.

Hit me up at jimmy@netherworldarcade.com to register.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115064[/ATTACH]

There can only be one King of Kong

Excellent idea James ... :023:

@Barra, will you fly across and enter the event?

How about @Mameshane? ... @kane? ... @John73? ... @RMacauley? ... @Brad? ... @Foot? ... @djflask? ... @Michael Kibbey? ... and of course the great Johnny Bonde (Ice Cold Beer wizard)

@Jimmi Nails, are Walter Day and Billy Mitchell coming over as well?

How about @Mameshane? ... @kane? ... @John73? ... @RMacauley?

I'm in training already.

If you look at repair help for PCB's, you might see another AA member who is trying to get his DK board fixed probably preparing for this event :)

What about you @OOO - I don't recall ever seeing a DK score from you during our AA Kong Off's - don't tell me you've never played the game. You must have a PB you want to beat? If you can at all make it, it would be great to catch up again. There is a strong possibility that Kiwi guy might make it over, and it could be early on the Friday in which case I will make him come for a game of squash - even better if you can make it :)

I've only just got my cab in a place where I can easily play and stream, and have been hitting DK the last couple of nights, wearing that fantastic DK shirt that you graciously purchased for a couple of us during the Arcade Armageddon event.

I'm in training already.

If you look at repair help for PCB's, you might see another AA member who is trying to get his DK board fixed probably preparing for this event :)

What about you @OOO - I don't recall ever seeing a DK score from you during our AA Kong Off's - don't tell me you've never played the game. You must have a PB you want to beat? If you can at all make it, it would be great to catch up again. There is a strong possibility that Kiwi guy might make it over, and it could be early on the Friday in which case I will make him come for a game of squash - even better if you can make it :)

I've only just got my cab in a place where I can easily play and stream, and have been hitting DK the last couple of nights, wearing that fantastic DK shirt that you graciously purchased for a couple of us during the Arcade Armageddon event.

My DK skills are not better than an infant ... yes I have played the game and my PB is 162,900 in MAME. I do like Donkey Kong but I do not know the techniques to progress further. I know the basic strategy on the levels but combo barrels on pattern 1, fireballs doing funny things on 4 even with the recommended approach, and the dreaded springs on 3 after say the 4th repeat one is very difficult for me. The springs ... seeing one is starting lower or higher on the entry - I just cannot see it fast enough to adjust and make it, even with the tip kane posted previously.

If you all go I would be very tempted to go and maybe kick Gyruss for a higher marathon score. I also wanted to invite @outrun86 to Netherworld, so we'll see as we get closer.

I also just wanted to say again that Netherworld is really on the ball with pop and arcade culture. They get so many things so right, it's compelling to pop in and meet you guys and all the other gamers!

My suggestion if you have not already, you must go to Netherworld!

My DK skills are not better than an infant ... yes I have played the game and my PB is 162,900 in MAME. I do like Donkey Kong but I do not know the techniques to progress further. I know the basic strategy on the levels but combo barrels on pattern 1, fireballs doing funny things on 4 even with the recommended approach, and the dreaded springs on 3 after say the 4th repeat one is very difficult for me. The springs ... seeing one is starting lower or higher on the entry - I just cannot see it fast enough to adjust and make it, even with the tip kane posted previously.

If you all go I would be very tempted to go and maybe kick Gyruss for a higher marathon score. I also wanted to invite @outrun86 to Netherworld, so we'll see as we get closer.

I also just wanted to say again that Netherworld is really on the ball with pop and arcade culture. They get so many things so right, it's compelling to pop in and meet you guys and all the other gamers!

My suggestion if you have not already, you must go to Netherworld!

Well last time I heard there was this AWESOME DK masterclass that someone did (hungover) :lol

I didn't see you there!!!

:)

Well last time I heard there was this AWESOME DK masterclass that someone did (hungover) :lol

I didn't see you there!!!

You were so hungover you did not see me there ... :laugh:

But it's great you are going to the event. Every AA member in Queensland should go to this event, and not just to play DK.

I hope that Mr Do! machine also turns up at Netherworld, I'd really like to get some tips from @bigredbird on that game too.

The springs ... seeing one is starting lower or higher on the entry - I just cannot see it fast enough to adjust and make it, even with the tip kane posted previously.

Welcome to my world. Those bloody springs! I keep getting told it's just practice and you can learn it, I'm not convinced. Just when I think I'm getting better, the game kicks me in the arse and destroys all my confidence :lol

And with head to head in the finals - anything could happen. Should Barra make it over, he'll most likely be the #1 ranked player on DKF playing and be expected to win - which will put huge pressure on him, especially if he comes up against me in an earlier round and having to deal with any number of sheep jokes and sounds as we play :)

- - - Updated - - -

Did you real the rules for this event? All players must do 5 Bailey's & Vodka shots before playing :)

- - - Updated - - -

You were so hungover you did not see me there ... :laugh:

But it's great you are going to the event. Every AA member in Queensland should go to this event, and not just to play DK.

I hope that Mr Do! machine also turns up at Netherworld, I'd really like to get some tips from @bigredbird on that game too.

Speaking of tips - Jon Tannahill will no doubt attend this as he has been grinding away on DK - he'll be more than happy to help anyone out with Space Invaders tips. I watched his masterclass on this over a month ago, but need to see it again. Would really like to learn it - it's similar in skill level to Pac-Man patterns - looks simple, but if your timing is out by microseconds then it's game over.

Welcome to my world. Those bloody springs! I keep getting told it's just practice and you can learn it, I'm not convinced. Just when I think I'm getting better, the game kicks me in the arse and destroys all my confidence :lol

And with head to head in the finals - anything could happen. Should Barra make it over, he'll most likely be the #1 ranked player on DKF playing and be expected to win - which will put huge pressure on him, especially if he comes up against me in an earlier round and having to deal with any number of sheep jokes and sounds as well play :)

I have watched Barra play, Hank Chien and that guy who came second to Copeland (forgot his name, can you believe it!). Their technique involves moving forward and if it's "on", continue, but if not retreat. I don't know how to make that decision. Looking at the entry point on the left, I can't assess if it's in the right spot or not at that speed of spring entry, without maybe someone drawing a line on the screen.

My money is on Mameshane, sorry Barra. In MGLXXXI, Mameshane came good in the head to head contest. I think he may have the edge. Contenders from my point of view who could win it include Michael Kibbey, Allen Staal, Kane Mawhinney, and of course the legend, Johnny Bonde. But who knows, John McNeill may practice so well over the next few months .. that he wins it!

http://i.imgur.com/z91itqI.gif

How about @Mameshane? ... @kane? ... @John73? ... @RMacauley? ... @Brad? ... @Foot? ... @djflask? ... @Michael Kibbey? ... and of course the great Johnny Bonde (Ice Cold Beer wizard)

I can say right now that I won't be making the trip this time. If I go anywhere that weekend it'll be to the Melbourne Matchplay pinball comp and even going to that isn't anywhere near 100% set in stone at the moment.

As for me and DK I'm not anywhere near the standard required for this comp. 203K on the so called possessed machine at Funspot and 205K on MAME. I go through phases where I attempt to improve on DK but don't have the motivation to stick with it. The same thing applies on Burgertime where I've learnt about 50% of what's needed to challenge the WR but haven't had the motivation to pursue it further.

I'll be there for sure, sorry @zanderzone I'll have to bump you to 2nd last I'm in last place.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Mate if you are going to stay with me and Barra at an AirBnB you are going to get a crash course from at least one of us that will get you over 100k :) though that will be Saturday night and by that stage it will be too late to qualify :lol

If you want a night in Brisbane before the event, let me know, plenty of room here and I'll impart my limited knowledge on you over a drink or three.

- - - Updated - - -

John McNeill may practice so well over the next few months .. that he wins it!

Trust me, if you can somehow arrange someone like SportsBet to add this event to their schedule, and go by current DKF rankings - I'd be at around about 1000-1 to win. That being said, if SportsBet did take wagers on the event, I'd put a lot of money on me at 1000-1 because I'm sure I could "win" the event in a boil over :lol

Not saying I could buy off the other players, but I'm pretty sure I could buy off the other players :D

Mate if you are going to stay with me and Barra at an AirBnB you are going to get a crash course from at least one of us that will get you over 100k :) though that will be Saturday night and by that stage it will be too late to qualify [emoji38]

If you want a night in Brisbane before the event, let me know, plenty of room here and I'll impart my limited knowledge on you over a drink or three.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me, if you can somehow arrange someone like SportsBet to add this event to their schedule, and go by current DKF rankings - I'd be at around about 1000-1 to win. That being said, if SportsBet did take wagers on the event, I'd put a lot of money on me at 1000-1 because I'm sure I could "win" the event in a boil over [emoji38]

Not saying I could buy off the other players, but I'm pretty sure I could buy off the other players :D

I'm hoping to do Friday and Saturday night, I'll happily take some pointers from you and Barra. Barra and I can teach you how to drink some beers, or should I bring some home brew for the weekend still got a little left out if that 20 ltrs of bourbon.

Is Dave from that coming?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Hey mates

I was thrilled to come back on line tonight and find so much activity on this thread. Can not wait for this event!!

Paul we haven't heard from Billy or Walter since Arcade Armageddon but you never know. We also got a new Gyruss pcb recently so if you wanted to come in a marathon the machine we would happily set this up for the weekend to coincide with the Kong Off. That said, if anyone ever wants to marathon a game we would be happy to host, get behind the event and try get the media involved. If we don't have the machine you would like to marathon we will try track one down or you can even bring in your own and hit the stage.

Am aiming for 3 to 4 original DK cabs for this event. Definitely love the idea of another hung over master class from Barra. The last one was amazing even in the super hung state he was in :). Will have some fun side comps too.

Going to be a blast

I can't marathon Gyruss, but I'd love to play on an original PCB and get my name up on Twin Galaxies. Would love to see Paul do a big score on it, having seen his MAME score I know he can play this game as long as he can keep awake.

Depending on how I do in the Kong Off (bad by the sounds of the line up that might be coming) - I might have another shot at BnJ and am happy to bring my board in. If Paul decides to make the trip, I'd love for him to put a score up on Twin Galaxies on it - very very good chance Aussies could be #1 & #2 in the world (arcade track) if he plays.

For that matter, I'm keen to put up scores on Twin Galaxies for any and all original PCB games. Need to let the world know that Aussies (and the odd Kiwi) are great gamers :)

As for the "super hung" Barra - I'm not touching that one (that's what she said) :lol He was drinking hard on Friday night, and I didn't even know he was that bad on Saturday morning until he told me. I dare say he won't make that mistake this time.