Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Attempting my holy grail repair. Sprint 2

The cab needs a 23" monitor.

I decided on 20" because the cab is shallow and...where am I going to get a 23"!

Dragged this old Hitachi 20" frame out and it fits as it it was made for it.

20180424_211255-1.jpg

It's not going to look as good at distance but very playable at playing distance.

Got some 42x19mmx1.2 lengths of pine and jig sawed them down the midle to make some cabinet studs so I could rebuild the cab.

One afternoon later...

1524914115708191692920.jpg

Some panels are in need of replacing.

1524926103739-306280352.jpg

Still have some patching to do.

1524915497383-544516105.jpg

Edited by taito

Excellent work on a machine well worth restoring. What was so cool about this machine was it was flat out.

No one lifted at all. You just went flat from the start till you crashed not that you can moderate speed on a 'pedal switch" anyway.

I think the best thing about that machine was watching people slid the cars around the corners at high speed.

That multi car version I saw was at Hoyts picture theater in George st Sydney and watching that many cars sliding around the default track was worth watching when guys that new how to play were playing.

It was like a good night at the speedway watch sprint cars racing side by side and sideways on the corners.

The steering wheels are simply spun and stopped with one hand and then spun back the other direction to steer taking full advantage of the steering wheels having no stops.

Yes, the steering wheels coped a flogging but they were well built to take it. Damage was abuse and simply being worn out through excessive use.

Maybe these days I would use silicon spray to help the hubs not wearing as fast but in saying that they certainly had some games put through them before they worn with no lubricant.

There was also no mention of lube required in the manual but I think silicon spray on the hubs would help.

Silicon spray is perfect. I misplaced my can, so will be getting another soon.I used it on my Sprint one cab build and it was smooth!!! :)

Cheers mate for the great read. I too have an appreciation for the Speedway.... yeah... seeing all those expert players would have been awesome! You'd be forgiven for checking you hair for mud at the end of the game! Lol.

Which reminds me I have to sort out some artwork.

Edited by taito

While I'm sourcing the monitor I have roped in an old PC monitor.

20180429_131348-1.jpg

Literally!

1524974405649133520606.jpg

So I have this problem. ..The original 23" B&W was able to fit into this space. The colour monitors have more depth??

20180429_141813-1.jpg

That's why Im going for a 20". But would prefer a larger viewing area.

Does anyone know what colour monitor would fit?

Edited by taito

• 1 year later...

Hello All!

Sprint 2 is my favorite game!

I have (had) a perfectly working one in my garage until today - where the monitor is not working (just getting a straight line across the screen).

Two questions...

1. How did you connect a regular PC monitor to the game?

2. How hard was/is it to find a replacement arcade monitor for this game?

Thanks!

John

PA, USA

Hello All!

Sprint 2 is my favorite game!

I have (had) a perfectly working one in my garage until today - where the monitor is not working (just getting a straight line across the screen).

Two questions...

Thanks!

John

PA, USA

Sounds like your monitor has suffered from a vertical collapse. This is common in old arcade monitors. You need to learn how to remove the monitor chassis and then have the monitor chassis repaired by an arcade tech. We send all our stuff to Jomac, but being that you're in the US, you will need to find a US repairer.

• 3 years later...
On 02/02/2020 at 6:09 AM, MrClutch33 said:

Hi, it's a very late reply,

A. This monitor had Video In/RCA Style connectors, which takes regular arcde signals. (b&w). 

The tube wasn't that hard to find. I Australia the 110⁰ 23" b&w tube is quite common.  Gettiny the chassis and yoke was made easy.with a suggestion from a member. So sorry to that member,.I can't remember who. The chassis and yoke was shipped from the US. Not easy is the short answer if.I were to try again, but thanks to the help I got, it all worked out.

T