Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

• Administrators
Hmmmm... If the score reels don't reset to 0 I wouldn't expect a reset to stop.

If you advance them to 0 (using the mechanism, not forcing the wheels), then turn on and press the flipper button, does it still go into a reset?

Yep, the same problem continues. Press Left Flipper, machines tries to immediately reset with Score Motor, Timer Unit and Roulette Wheel constantly cycling.

Brad

• Administrators
Do you have a ball in the roulette wheel?. If there is no ball activating a switch in the roulette wheel, it will presume the ball is stuck and continue spinning the roulette.

Yep, ball in roulette wheel.

Cheers,

Brad

• Administrators

I found the schematics too hard to read on screen as they're so big so I thought, hey I'll print them out on the banner printer at work.

Oops, they're 2.3 metres long :o:lol

856079837_20190108_172505(309x1024).thumb.jpg.5b6d502a2fb0bdb56564143a11357a12.jpg

I found the schematics too hard to read on screen as they're so big so I thought, hey I'll print them out on the banner printer at work.

Oops, they're 2.3 metres long :o:lol

At least you should be able to read them now :lol

• Administrators
Damn, I was up at our storage location today... wasn't planning on heading up there again for probably a week and a half....... well if you don't figure it out by then remind me to get some pics of ours.

Hey mate,

Thought I'd "poke" you as a reminder if you're heading out there to take pics please :)

Cheers,

Brad

Hey mate,

Thought I'd "poke" you as a reminder if you're heading out there to take pics please :)

Cheers,

Brad

Will do it tomorrow.

Anything else you want pics of to show how it should look on a working machine?

Reply by tonight because there's no phone reception up there, so I won't be able to check for any last minute requests.

• Administrators
Brk_oth said:
Will do it tomorrow.

Anything else you want pics of to show how it should look on a working machine?

Reply by tonight because there's no phone reception up there, so I won't be able to check for any last minute requests.

Thanks mate. Really appreciate this.

- I'm looking for close ups of both Flipper Button Switches when both de-pressed and pressed so I can ensure to match them

- I suppose a closeup of the Coin Door Wiring wouldn't hurt either although mine had been converted to free play before I got it

I didn't re-wire anything and kept all harnesses complete, labelled and photographed in place before I took it apart but I have no idea what hack jobs may have been done prior to it being dumped =(

I can't think of what else would help as it all relays, motors etc which haven't been touched.

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks mate. Really appreciate this.

- I'm looking for close ups of both Flipper Button Switches when both de-pressed and pressed so I can ensure to match them

- I suppose a closeup of the Coin Door Wiring wouldn't hurt either although mine had been converted to free play before I got it

I didn't re-wire anything and kept all harnesses complete, labelled and photographed in place before I took it apart but I have no idea what hack jobs may have been done prior to it being dumped =(

I can't think of what else would help as it all relays, motors etc which haven't been touched.

Cheers,

Brad

All switches are in an open position when the buttons are not pressed.

Left flipper button has 3 sets of switch blades, right flipper has 2 sets.

On both flipper buttons, the 2 middle flippers energise first, then the closest flipper to the button - pics below show the flipper buttons being slowly pressed in, showing middle flippers activating first.

LEFT FLIPPER:

left-OUT.thumb.jpg.c63fe3a24b00ddd78961a9db9a163414.jpg

left-IN.thumb.jpg.77be900d761edceb0ec16ce1bf8d9634.jpg

left-2-OUT.thumb.jpg.6b0ae36639f2dc7f2edd314eadbac0f9.jpg

left-2-IN.thumb.jpg.bb6d902c91deb5f3a00a41530fed3ccb.jpg

flippers-LEFT.thumb.jpg.3de46c42a52f582e33329ee30885a194.jpg

RIGHT FLIPPER

right-OUT.thumb.jpg.f3073a6a2077ac3d9d56b25bc3707832.jpg

right-IN.thumb.jpg.73b8f03c88faf5702842dd4a67b02874.jpg

right-2-OUT.thumb.jpg.0fce69646df7679a8d1a3ab2c5491c88.jpg

right-2-IN.thumb.jpg.361c95905e15d0a8fcb5d77cbec538b5.jpg

flippers-RIGHT.thumb.jpg.b78469067f38846b24595e460d1e75ae.jpg

COIN SWITCHES:

Far left, the furthest away from the coin door, for me is 1 pulse = 1 credit. That's the only one that I use.

coins1.thumb.jpg.122fc86bbcd271b2c61d61ee82135da9.jpg

coins2.thumb.jpg.a1c28ef375d20ebd08ab777370617080.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

A bit of tinkering trying to narrow down reset issues. I could be wrong of course but I'm assuming 3 missing teeth is not a good sign? This is the bonus unit under the playfield =(

spacer.png

Would this also contribute to a failure to reset?

Cheers,

Brad

Ha Ha ha, that's the old hardware solution to stop a stepper stepping to far. It should be at the absolute maximum limit the unit is supposed to go beyond the point the "switch" should stop the unit but if the switch fails, the missing teeth won't.

• Administrators
Autosteve said:
Ha Ha ha, that's the old hardware solution to stop a stepper stepping to far. It should be at the absolute maximum limit the unit is supposed to go beyond the point the "switch" should stop the unit but if the switch fails, the missing teeth won't.

LOL yep, felt like a bit of a dickhead asking after I found out why it was like that :redface

I've put it away for now. When looking I found another solder point that had come loose. Fixed that and resoldered 2 other points, plugged it back in. Powered it on, score motor doesn't keep cycling now. However roulette wheel continues to spin and now something I haven't seen before.

First 2 times it was fine but now when I power it on and hit the left flipper, it starts then pops and all lights flash and turns itself off. I thought I'd blown a fuse or something but I've done it 3 times now. I've powered it off and unplugged it. Not sure if a short or something. Will look it over next weekend 😞

Cheers,

Brad

• Administrators
goodolddays said:
keep plugging away Brad .. EM's can do your head in .. (been there done that) but having a rest break is always a good idea

You're definitely right mate. Its starting to do my head in to be honest. Keep wavering between giving up and persevering 😞

To be fair with the Bonus Unit though. When I googled that part and for images every image came up as a stepper unit and not one image had missing teeth. A deeper search afterwards showed me what I was missing.

I am concerned about the pop and shutdown. I mean the only thing I can think of that would cause that is a short, but assumed a fuse would blow instead of a complete automatic shutdown.

Cheers,

Brad

Maybe pull apart the roulette wheel assembly and check the commutator. It "should" stop spinning once it detects a ball but if the commutator isn't allowing it to register any hole, it will presume the ball is stuck and continue spinning.

A commutator is an electrical device for allowing power to get to a spinning part on a shaft.......Picture lights on a merry go round. How do the wires not just wrap around the shaft......commutator.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Autosteve said:
Maybe pull apart the roulette wheel assembly and check the commutator. It "should" stop spinning once it detects a ball but if the commutator isn't allowing it to register any hole, it will presume the ball is stuck and continue spinning.

A commutator is an electrical device for allowing power to get to a spinning part on a shaft.......Picture lights on a merry go round. How do the wires not just wrap around the shaft......commutator.

Took the roulette wheel out today and checked it over. It appears okay. I'm assuming that the ball contact switches are registered when they close, energising the copper? track underneath. Those tracks have 5 blades contacting them. 2 on one side and 3 on the other. I very carefully adjusted them slightly tighter against the track just in case. All ball hole switched easily make contact when depressed with the ball.

It all looks good to me:unsure

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Brad

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

Yes yes I know its been too damn long. I have lots of excuses but chief amongst them is that I was just burnt out and a little challenged. Either way I've motivated myself to take a look at this startup problem and at this stage it looks to be the score reels not resetting. At the very least I have to fix these so that if there are any other faults I can find them.

Here is the current state. I've reset them a few times and I then take a photo to see which reels are the problem ones. Notice how many there are.....damn 4 player machine 😉 I mean not as bad as it could have been but sheesh.

20190914_150741.jpg

So I took the top right reel out to poke around it. Took the reel off to have a look underneath.

20190914_151336.jpg

Looks reasonably tidy but I took it all apart and cleaned it anyway with a bit of isopropyl alcohol being well aware that they're supposed to run dry.

20190914_152032.jpg

I then put it all back together again minus the reel to test that it cycles though easily. Damn thing gets stuck going from 9 to 0 or 8 - 9 whatever the order is.

I'm assuming that the spring that holds tension on the coil rod is no longer strong enough? I took a video and yes I had a quick stab at a dirty "shortening" on it but no difference. It happens 99 times out of a hundred getting stuck.

I'm going to assume I need a new spring?

Also some boofhead dropped this cir-clip and has spent 15mins trying to find it on my garage floor 😞

20190914_153709boofhead.jpg

Cheers,

Brad

You will find a set of contacts that only closes when the score reel is going from 9 to 0. This is to drive the next digit's coil. If this contact is set to hard as in to much pressure required, the coils can be pron to jamming the reel usually between 9 and 0. You get this problem and the other contact on the effected reel to indicate a 0 will never close and the machine continues on in a loop trying to get the 0 contact made.

Every reel on the whole machine MUST get a 0 contact made to stop attempting to a reset.

An easy check to test this circuit is manually set every score reel to zero, start a game and the machine should go straight to kick the ball out for 1st ball 1st player without a reel turning ready for play.

• Administrators
Autosteve said:
You will find a set of contacts that only closes when the score reel is going from 9 to 0. This is to drive the next digit's coil. If this contact is set to hard as in to much pressure required, the coils can be pron to jamming the reel usually between 9 and 0. You get this problem and the other contact on the effected reel to indicate a 0 will never close and the machine continues on in a loop trying to get the 0 contact made.

So working from right to left, the 9 to 0 switch triggers the next reel to the immediate left to cycle 1 number? Makes sense.

Every reel on the whole machine MUST get a 0 contact made to stop attempting to a reset.

Looks like they're not hitting 0 across all reels.

An easy check to test this circuit is manually set every score reel to zero, start a game and the machine should go straight to kick the ball out for 1st ball 1st player without a reel turning ready for play.

When I set all reels to zero I do not get a ball kicking out. IF its the reels not resetting properly this could indicate that a 0 point switch is not closing?

If I set all reels to a number other than 0 and go through the reset you get the sequence in the above photos.

Cheers,

Brad

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Since its pissing down with rain on and off I thought I'd do a little more investigation on the score reel reset issue. Current state when I set all reels to not-zero and power it on. The reset sequence starts and the score motor keeps turning over as the machine it not resetting correctly.

Here is how is stands (Note I labelled the Players as its an unusual setup)

Before.jpg

Now I'd already cleaned all switch contacts AND adjusted them with a tool. I decided to double-check my work and found all but 2 were correct. The two that weren't had one switch that was about 95% correct but needed a little tweak. Once done those two reels reset.

The above picture is AFTER I'd done those fixes. So starting with Player 1 100's reel I had another look.

unrepaired.jpg

Those two wires should be soldered together onto the switch terminal below. Now it wasn't that obvious initially, I just moved them for the photo. So out with the soldering iron yet again for a little work and voila

repaired.jpg

So I checked the 10's reel and it looks good. I'll wait confirmation until after I've done some more work and put the backbox back onto the cabinet.

Note in the first image that Player 2 and 4's 100's reels are stuck on 9. They're trying to turn over but are struggling to get over the fattest part of the cam.

cam_issue.jpg

Now the coil powered arm's return is controlled by that bottom spring and it looks like on both of these score reels it might be too weak? Was thinking of swapping out known good ones to test with.

Would this be the likely problem and replacement the fix?

Cheers,

Brad