Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

• Administrators

Thanks guys!

One other thing. Only small but thought I'd post out of interest.

The coin slot has an acrylic window where coin instructions are usually displayed. This is back-lit by an incandescent bulb which I'll replace with an LED (Should see those delivered tomorrow).

Now this machine was built in early 1966. I wanted to know what would be displayed and searched a bit but couldn't find any real info. Initially I though it'd be imperial coinage but Australia switched to decimal currency in 1966 and we would not have seen these machines here until just after that. So inspired by a single google image I found from a U.S. machine I replicated the label in Adobe Illustrator and changed the values for Australian currency. Not sure what the costs would have been but research says that we started seeing 20cents per game in maybe the very late 60's for some but usually in the 70's so I set it for 20cents for 3 games or 10cents for game. If someone has more accurate info or even a proper label shout out 🙂

Also to be a little pedantic, I researched the common fonts used in the 60's and chose Futura which was hugely popular on album covers at the time.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Brad

I think you have the layout wrong myself but it is up to you.

Here are a couple from around that era as examples.

I never saw a multi coin machine from that era but I can only imagine the display windows would have used the traditional Williams layout and colours these original Williams display windows use as in 10cents being yellow and 20 cents being burnt orange....

VGKGQmD.jpg

hP37FVC.jpg

RMmbCNK.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality. They were an arse to photograph for some reason.

• Administrators

No the pictures are fine. Look you may be right, I have no idea but every reference image I could find didn't look anything like the ones you've posted. I'm also not sure if this coin mech slot is very standard and it was originally designed to take multiple coin types. Maybe they made them different looking? :unsure

Now a couple of reference images although VERY hard to see are from restorations so we can't be 100% that they're correct. See here

https://www.pinball-restorations.com/product/williams-a-go-go/

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/a_go_go/a_go_go_pinball.htm

However IF you look at the original flyer or what I assume is the original flyer check this out. Again hard to see.

Red Flyer

spacer.png

Zoomed

spacer.png

Black and White Flyer

spacer.png

Zoomed

spacer.png

I think my design is pretty close, the colours...not sure but I'd be VERY surprised if they used oranges and reds :unsure

Cheers,

Brad

I think you have the layout wrong myself but it is up to you.

Here are a couple from around that era as examples.

I never saw a multi coin machine from that era but I can only imagine the display windows would have used the traditional Williams layout and colours these original Williams display windows use as in 10cents being yellow and 20 cents being burnt orange....

The multi coin mech coin chutes used a different style for the display window.

He has it correct - or at least as close as it can be because none came to Aus, it was only USA and Europe with the multi coin mechs.

I've got both a German and US one..... somewhere :S

But what he has made looks like them, to the best of my memory..

edit:

I had a look but couldn't find them...

heres a US one found online, the German one actually takes 3 types of coins, the 3 background colours on the German one matches the cabinet colours (if I remember correctly)..... US one is just the light blue from the cabinet.

100_5687.jpg.cf796acebdc1c2e3c5b459790e8a0d24.jpg

The multi coin mech coin chutes used a different style for the display window.

He has it correct - or at least as close as it can be because none came to Aus, it was only USA and Europe with the multi coin mechs.

I've got both a German and US one..... somewhere :S

But what he has made looks like them, to the best of my memory..

edit:

I had a look but couldn't find them...

heres a US one found online, the German one actually takes 3 types of coins, the 3 background colours on the German one matches the cabinet colours (if I remember correctly)..... US one is just the light blue from the cabinet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124318[/ATTACH]

M0OfnIk.jpg

0sndNV3.jpg

I just think a bit of colour would look better myself but that might just be me.

Those pictures are from the 1966 Williams catalog and the next catalog was 1969 with no mention of the multi coin and the "new style" entrance plate was gone but it is the 1969 catalog that has the machine A Go Go in it.:blink:

From what I can see in the 1966 catalog, there was a multi coin plate listed for Australia with a Williams part number that did use two different coin types but at the back of the catalog, (where the info and spares for the coin mechs are), there appears to be no suitable cradles made as a part for these coins to be used in the multicoin coin mechs.

Edited by Autosteve

• Administrators
millsy56 said:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124310[/ATTACH]

I have some scans of aussie currency somewhere if you want them.

That would be great millsy if you can although mine is the original single mech version. They replaced them in later runs with the triple coin mech variants. Apparently the multi-coin single mech proved too troublesome so they stopped using them :unsure

Cheers.

Brad

• Administrators
ajfclark said:
I'd love to see a mechanical multi coin mech. Sounds like a nightmare but I bet it's interesting.

Unfortunately mine is missing as it had been converted to free play and taken out before I got it. This is whats left. You can see the triple coin switches though! Look at the rust on that slam tilt :lol

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edit: Looking at the before photos I'm trying to imagine how coins went from the slot at the top to the switches behind that bracket at the bottom in the below photo?

spacer.png

Cheers,

Brad

Am I reading that right that it internally handles 2x10 coins somehow?

Correct. Nothing fancy though. Its an extra little pivoting piece that sits at the bottom of the coin mech... so its after the coin has been sorted and before the micro switch. The first coin is diverted to miss the credit switch and the second coin then hits the credit switch.

Excuse the terrible drawing in paint.

1492833481_coinmech.thumb.png.ac3081a2f18617d3b99ead256722b947.png

The red part pivots. The top part of it directs where the coin goes, as the coin hits the bottom part it pivots the diverter so that the next coin to fall though will go the other direction.

• Administrators

So going on that photo, you can see the metals slides that would sit into the brackets on the back of my coin door! No wonder it fit, the bloody thing was huge!

Brad

Correct. Nothing fancy though. Its an extra little pivoting piece that sits at the bottom of the coin mech... so its after the coin has been sorted and before the micro switch. The first coin is diverted to miss the credit switch and the second coin then hits the credit switch.

Excuse the terrible drawing in paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124333[/ATTACH]

The red part pivots. The top part of it directs where the coin goes, as the coin hits the bottom part it pivots the diverter so that the next coin to fall though will go the other direction.

I had those diverters on 30 Wiko Shooting Gallery guns at Luna Park. Exactly as you have drawn them but only about 40-50mm deep but that was for tokens.

You think with the simplicity, "what can go wrong"?..

Well absolutely everything.

There is no guarantee the last coin through will make it fully toggle which may or may not jam the next coin.

If it doesn't jam, it slows the coin down and the then near stalled coin is trying to push the micro switch down which it may or may not do but if it does push the switch down, the pulse the switch puts out may be to long because the coin is going to slow and fail to count and locking up the game board for that gun needing a cold reboot.

So all up 3 different problems these things did cause on that machine and remember, this is a coin that has already pasted the size test, the bounce test, the weight test and the magnetic test on the coin mech itself so it is a valid coin excepted by the mech. It's just this stupid thing has failed.

I had one of these "toggles" on a coin mech with a switch attached and tested it for days on my workbench at Luna Park trying to sort it out and try to make them more reliable but in the end the machine was modded to "count" coins per game and these things I ripped out.

• Administrators

Weekly update time!

Light blue done and dusted. Still need to touch up a couple of areas and add the single dark blue shape to each side of the backbox.

Should I do a layer of clear over this? What do others do?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Brad

1966 a fine year!

Looks great Brad.:cool:

As for clearing it, depends on how glossy you want the finish to look .

I have repainted a few EM's now and I spray them with a gloss clear only because I use a Matt finish paint .

I don't go over the top , just enough to give it a bit of a shine .