Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Modem / Wifi

kiwimex

Hi all,

I have built a Juke box that I will be using with a wifi speaker (sonos) for the sound, I would like to know what would be the best way to stream the sound via wifi effectively as i do occasionally get choppy sound during testing. The distance form the jukebox to the modem is about 20 meters through 2 walls, during my testing the distance between the two is about 2 ft. so once I locate the Jukebox on my patio Im concerned the wifi will cause the sound to be choppy.

I have a telstra NBN modem that appears to be somewhat unreliable and on the computer in the jukebox I have TP-Link wireless adaptor.

Please see pics of my modem and wireless adaptor

Would appreciate advise to solve this issue (running windows 7)

thanks in Advance

Steve

IMG_0103.thumb.jpg.7b0aeadc8c2d85aefd80bdefc0c3510f.jpgIMG_0104.thumb.jpg.7cc21d34e9ff7f7fb0d3c8a6690c739c.jpg

• Administrators

There's a load of reasons why this could be happening. I don't use WiFi for mine and when using the juke in Spotify mode I have it cabled via ethernet.

For N models the signal is really good but attentuation will get worse with obstacles like walls etc in the way and will also be dependent on construction materials. I'd check signal strength and reliability internally using a Wifi scanner app on your phone but it shouldn't really be a problem to be honest.

Are you talking about using it for E-Touch or internet streaming? If E-Touch, there is no buffering/queuing, so if your internal network is shitty that could be your problem. What PC specs are you using as that could be an issue?

If using streaming then it could be your internet connection is crap or heavily congested. The only fix for that is your provider not over subscribing or getting a better vendor.

Brad

Edited by Brad

There's a bunch of things to keep in mind with WiFi. There's loads of things that interfere it, not the least of which is that the separate channels actually overlap a lot. Channels that don't are 1, 6 and 11 (unless you're using 802.11n, then things are different). If your neighbour is on channel 3, he's actually borking 1 through 8 or so...

It's also possible to have two stations close together that can't communicate and two much further apart that can. The classic example I've seen is opposite sides of a wall because the signal is traversing along, and therefore through, the wall for a long distance.

eg. PC1 and PC2 might struggle because the signal is in the wall for a long distance

PC1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                    PC2

PC1 and PC2 works fine

PC1              |                              |                    |                             |        PC2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because it's radio it can be hard to figure out what's going on. The heat mapper program I've linked is a simple WiFi survey tool. Mock up a map of your house as an image, pull it into the software, then walk around the house with the laptop clicking. It'll measure the strength of the signals it can see at each location and then triangulate where it thinks the access points are located.

Something else to keep in mind with WiFi is that it's not a switched network, it's shared media. Only one station can talk at a time (in fact they announce "I'm about to talk" before they talk too). This means that when you have two machines talking and they both on WiFi you can get a bunch of congestion. This isn't noticeable surfing the web, but is much more noticeable streaming media. If you cable the server to the router, that removes one side of the congestion.

Put in a WiFi extender and point it directly at your device with no walls between it and preferably as close as possible.

Seeing as the device is likely to be mains powered, what about a "power line adapter"

More reading....

https://www.cnet.com/news/top-five-power-line-adapters-when-wi-fi-fails-you/

One thing to take into consideration, wired is always better than wireless.;)

Yes im streaming from my computer to the Wifi speaker using an app called stream what you hear....so the Jukebox software audio outputs to the computer then i use the app stream what you hear to stream the sound to the Sonos App / station I have set up in the Sonos App, then from there it goes to the speaker.

• Administrators
Yes im streaming from my computer to the Wifi speaker using an app called stream what you hear....so the Jukebox software audio outputs to the computer then i use the app stream what you hear to stream the sound to the Sonos App / station I have set up in the Sonos App, then from there it goes to the speaker.

Too many weak points imo. I'd suggest the app would be the big culprit .

Brad

Yes i do think it is the Stream what you hear App that would most probably be the cause....im not too techy on this stuff at all.

As my choice is to use the Wifi speaker (at the moment) I just have to get the sound from my Jukebox software to the Sonos via the least interference. I know I can use direct connect ethernet to the speaker its just, as far as im aware you have to use the Sonos desktop application to send anything to the speaker.

• Administrators
Yes i do think it is the Stream what you hear App that would most probably be the cause....im not too techy on this stuff at all.

As my choice is to use the Wifi speaker (at the moment) I just have to get the sound from my Jukebox software to the Sonos via the least interference. I know I can use direct connect ethernet to the speaker its just, as far as im aware you have to use the Sonos desktop application to send anything to the speaker.

Yep thats my understanding with the Sonos gear. A mte has one and he has to use the app for everything =(

Hey Steve. Please can you clarify how this all fits together? I am a little confused.

Your jukebox has a touchscreen that is connected to a PC running the jukebox software. Since you are running ‘stream what you hear’ I imagine that the media is hosted on the same PC? If that is the case and you are also using a Sonos 5 as mentioned in another thread, why are you not just using a direct audio connection to to Sonos? Using a stream from the PC and having to rely on wifi, a likely not well buffered streaming app and the Sonos app to service the dlna connection just adds pain. Or have I got it all wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Yep thats my understanding with the Sonos gear. A mte has one and he has to use the app for everything =(

Mate needs to get Alexa to help with that.

My understanding its the Sonos is purely a Wifi speaker...its does have a ethernet socket in the back for a cable but that only allows a direct connection to your computer but will only play what is coming from the Sonos Desktop App.....To get my Jukebox software to play i can just use normal speakers or run a lead to a house stereo.........But I want to use the Wifi speaker so I dont have more cables and crap, plus I am mounting the speaker into my Kiosk so its a all in 1 setup.....and the speaker can be removed and used elsewhere. I guess i could use other speakers but I already have the Sonos Play5, and am pretty keen to just use what I have.

This is the project

IMG_0046.thumb.jpg.f9438010318850c16b1e0a7fb6ba172c.jpg

My understanding its the Sonos is purely a Wifi speaker...its does have a ethernet socket in the back for a cable but that only allows a direct connection to your computer but will only play what is coming from the Sonos Desktop App.....To get my Jukebox software to play i can just use normal speakers or run a lead to a house stereo.........But I want to use the Wifi speaker so I dont have more cables and crap, plus I am mounting the speaker into my Kiosk so its a all in 1 setup.....and the speaker can be removed and used elsewhere. I guess i could use other speakers but I already have the Sonos Play5, and am pretty keen to just use what I have.

This is the project

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120774[/ATTACH]

The Sonos play 5 has a line in audio connector, so not wifi only.

If you intend to send music to the Sonos from the jukebox when it’s removed from the kiosk and Sonos is remote, can understand your need for the wireless setup, but if it will be primarily in the kiosk, then non streaming / line in would be much more reliable.

Im bound to only being able to use the Sonos app....so to get the audio from the Jukebox to the Sonos, It can only be via a Radio Station I set up in the Sonos app, then streamed to that Radio Station via Stream What You Hear app.

Gee if only Sonos had an Audio in plug less the requirement of the app.

Im bound to only being able to use the Sonos app....so to get the audio from the Jukebox to the Sonos, It can only be via a Radio Station I set up in the Sonos app, then streamed to that Radio Station via Stream What You Hear app.

Gee if only Sonos had an Audio in plug less the requirement of the app.

Mate, are you sure it’s a play 5 you have? Both generations of it have audio in for sure.

The app only needs to be used to select the input. Audio in on the play 5 is there specifically so ANY external audio source can be used.

Bingo!......you little ripper got it working without wifi...........! Cannot believe I have kept missing this in all my investigations.....Cant thank you enough!

Next issue is the optiplex sound card may have to be upgraded to give me better quality sound....or maybe its my 20m 3.5mm cable thats losing sound quality....!

• Administrators
there does appear to be quite a bit of volume loss........across my music collection.......maybe something like winamp or similar could help this out?

I normalise all my music using MP3 Gain so it all the same volume

brad