Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Neo geo 4 slot lai lowboy

The board was " working last time I checked it", so in other words dead. I spent sometime cleaning out and testing it thinking I'd try my hand at repair but it was too far gone for my value to cost ratio. The battery had killed all the resistors near it and the tracks below were also casualties.

@NEO-GEO Man looked after me through this stage with some great advice.

d2b0beab453ee1d23288b29fe10def0f.jpg1c2c63cd1e4bb4d74a3ea905043e4551.jpg

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

I then set to cleaning the cabinet. I have not had that many but this thing was dirty, really dirty. I dry cleaned and then used most of a bottle of isopropyl on the inside. Outside I cleaned with soap and water.61f33c73c686fa46a40bde00cb3a824d.jpg23217b266286c3abd93227c3dac7042a.jpg2edfe5eaa6ef258373d1146789efad75.jpg4ae081dd8a1d7c8fcb60593067009ce8.jpgd32f5be76fd8b01fbd1d99de5ffa8f9f.jpg

After I gave it a clean I replaced the buttons and joystick switches. All cherry mx and happ convex. I got these from Arcade world as @OzStick does not stock them, wink wink nudge nudge. I went with convex as that is how I remember them, so nostalgia all the way.d209513d3522aed28524135302957cac.jpg16145e8a24afb0ef96aa038768ff8754.jpg

Edited by redferatu

Ours are pretty similar. I doubt those rectangle buttons are the original ones, look like they should be round ones

I had some problems with the screen which @dragonlee gave me some great advice. The was some issues with the top you can see in this picture.

Shipped it off to @Jomac who sorted me out.

3aa3199a4502a042cfd4f10e751d94be.jpg

Edited by redferatu

The next part was thanks to @dee2eR which was the raspberry pi and the RaspberryJamma.

I added some heat sinks and a fan, 80mm I think. I also used a 5v amp to drive the dual channel which you can see to the left. It is powered by the psu with a hacked usb cable.

The RaspberryJamma is running arpicade software loaded by dee2er. Current roms are all the mvs games which I'm running through fba.

I overclocked the pi to 1400, increased the sdram, gpumem and turned off throttling with some great results today.ad13ff0cfdb92dfe84c6025760eed5c7.jpg095f51eb54655d9ae5c984c2fbd0116d.jpg

Edited by redferatu

Your cab looks great, nice one.

I have the same cab not quite as nice as yours (still running a 4 slotter) but don't have the topper. Yours looks to be in great nick, can I trouble you for some high quality photos of the topper some time?

- - - Updated - - -

I think that all the LAI were this configuration?. The other type is four across. I'm sure others now the history7364e32eb00709da8bccd796da2ef813.jpg

LAI did a few different MVS cabs, I'm not actually sure of all the details but I've seen at least 4 variations. The 2 slotter as seen on the previous page is regular lowboy dementions with a 20 inch screen. The 4 slot cab you have is slightly wider than a regular lowboy and has a 25inch monitor. There is a 6 slot 26 inch version that's more like a fatboy (? or maybe lowboy 2?) cab that has the button layout as shown in the example you posted of the American panel. I think there was a 4 slot version of the fatboy cab too but it's been a while...

Your cab looks great, nice one.

I have the same cab not quite as nice as yours (still running a 4 slotter) but don't have the topper. Yours looks to be in great nick, can I trouble you for some high quality photos of the topper some time?

- - - Updated - - -

LAI did a few different MVS cabs, I'm not actually sure of all the details but I've seen at least 4 variations. The 2 slotter as seen on the previous page is regular lowboy dementions with a 20 inch screen. The 4 slot cab you have is slightly wider than a regular lowboy and has a 25inch monitor. There is a 6 slot 26 inch version that's more like a fatboy (? or maybe lowboy 2?) cab that has the button layout as shown in the example you posted of the American panel. I think there was a 4 slot version of the fatboy cab too but it's been a while...

Not at all. I'll take some tonight

Also my cpo has room for a card under the neo geo plate. I'll leave it as is as I have no need, but it is there as original.

I have to say that I am not a fan of fat boys, so quite happy I picked this one up.

Edited by redferatu

Thats a nice cab you got there. I'm not a fan of that control layout on that particular cab, I much prefer the four across style though.
I agree, but having grown up with this I am happy to get an original. In saying that the reality is 80% of the games don't use the D button and from a playing point of view it was easy to get use to.

Edited by redferatu