State
      VIC
      Mentioned
      87 Post(s)
      Quoted
      48 Post(s)
      Australia

ACS Changes & Hall of Fame

The following changes will apply to the *next* ACS qualifying year, commencing 1 January, 2018 with the final in early 2019 (date and host city TBA):

1. The field for the ACS final will increase from 32 players to 48.

2. Only the best 20 results for each player during the calendar year will count. This is in line with the American SCS and Canadian PCS.

Australia is *not* implementing a endorsement fee at this stage. In North America, a $1 per player per tournament fee is being introduced, with accrued funds forming the cash prize pools for the State/Provincial Championship Series and US Nationals. While this won't be happening here in 2018, we are considering bringing it in from 2019, to boost the profile of the ACS. I'd like to hear from players and organisers who have any feedback regarding this proposal.

is having a status just so he
      doesn't have no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      77 Post(s)
      Quoted
      576 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by LCM View Post
      2. Only the best 20 results for each player during the calendar year will count. This is in line with the American SCS and Canadian PCS.
      Finally! I think that makes a lot more sense.

Michi.
      WPPR points measure a person's ability to get WPPR points.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      26 Post(s)
      Aaland
      I agree with the best 20 results,by $1 per player per comp only puts money into top players pocket,with the Queensland Championship being held next week yes it was $1 per player for prize money but they earn't there spot. And because of this did they do not have to pay a entry fee,either pay entry fee or $1 per player per com Has to be one or the other cannot be both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

is having a status just so he
      doesn't have no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      77 Post(s)
      Quoted
      576 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by LCM View Post
      Australia is *not* implementing a endorsement fee at this stage. In North America, a $1 per player per tournament fee is being introduced, with accrued funds forming the cash prize pools for the State/Provincial Championship Series and US Nationals. While this won't be happening here in 2018, we are considering bringing it in from 2019, to boost the profile of the ACS. I'd like to hear from players and organisers who have any feedback regarding this proposal.
      Personally, I don't mind paying the extra dollar. But this fee proposal opens the same eternal can of worms that was discussed ad nauseam on Tilt Forums. I'm not sure that it is entirely fair to collect a dollar from all players that attend a tournament during the year when most of them have no chance of ever making it to the ACS finals or, if they do, getting into the placings that have a payout. In effect, the fee would be a tax on everyone to give to a few elite players.

But, more importantly, I'm not sure that having a large prize pool is going to make things better, or boost the ACS profile, for that matter. The more money is involved, the more serious things get, the more incentive there is to game the system somehow, and the less fun things are overall.

I would prefer to have the participants in the ACS pay a tournament fee to cover costs and have some prize money for the winners, rather than taxing everyone.

Michi.
      WPPR points measure a person's ability to get WPPR points.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      26 Post(s)
      Aaland
      Quote Originally Posted by Michi View Post
      Personally, I don't mind paying the extra dollar. But this fee proposal opens the same eternal can of worms that was discussed ad nauseam on Tilt Forums. I'm not sure that it is entirely fair to collect a dollar from all players that attend a tournament during the year when most of them have no chance of ever making it to the ACS finals or, if they do, getting into the placings that have a payout. In effect, the fee would be a tax on everyone to give to a few elite players.

But, more importantly, I'm not sure that having a large prize pool is going to make things better, or boost the ACS profile, for that matter. The more money is involved, the more serious things get, the more incentive there is to game the system somehow, and the less fun things are overall.

I would prefer to have the participants in the ACS pay a tournament fee to cover costs and have some prize money for the winners, rather than taxing everyone.

Michi.
      Totally agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

is probably slacking off from
      studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      34 Post(s)
      Quoted
      498 Post(s)
      Australia
      Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but what's ACS?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

This user has no status.

----

State
      VIC
      Mentioned
      87 Post(s)
      Quoted
      48 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ajfclark View Post
      Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but what's ACS?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
      It's the Australian Championship Series.

Each and every IFPA-endorsed pinball tournament held in Australia counts as a qualifying event. The players who accrue the most ranking points over a calendar year are invited to compete in the final for the title of IFPA Australian Pinball Champion. The final moves from city to city each year; the last one was in Melbourne, and the next one will be in Adelaide.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Blacktown
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Quoted
      882 Post(s)
      Australia
      It's a dollar! If you're playing in tournaments then by the sounds of things you'll want to go to the ACS. If not then play in a local tournament that isn't IFPA and doesn't give you those magical points so you can attend the ACS simples! Otherwise pay a dollar to do so.

The 20 best tournaments will take away those players that are there because they participated in 60+ tournaments over the year. I was never going to attend even half that many tournaments in a year let alone 1/3 so what shot did I have against someone playing 60+ tournaments?

It's not going to make anyone rich it's there to help bring in the better players. I'm sure that extra $1000 or so would help Eddy, PJ or those that HAVE to take annual leave because their job involves working weekends like a plumber or electrician. He'll I might even attend a few more tournaments
      In: Iron man, Metallica prem, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
      Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, Bram Stroker's Dracula, Demolition man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, Roadshow, The Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

is Top 5: TAF, DI, HS2, BSD, MM

Wtf

State
      Melbourne
      Mentioned
      215 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1928 Post(s)
      Australia
      I am cool with a $1 fee. Cost me more than a $1 to get to any event so yeah.....

This user has no status.

Meh

State
      QLD
      Mentioned
      157 Post(s)
      Quoted
      189 Post(s)
      Australia
      Great news @LCM

We currently have the $1 per player set up for most of the monthly tournaments here in QLD, culminating in the QLD State Championship on next weekend. Winner earns airfares accommodation and entry for ACS in Adelaide (if eligible). This is the first time we have tried something like this, but haven't really received much in the way of negative feedback thus far. Plus it has been advertised right from the start that all players who qualify earn FREE ENTRY into the final. But the main goal of setting up qualifying like this was to help increase participation at each of the monthly events here in QLD - which I think has worked.

We'll see how things pan out next weekend, but it appears that it will return in 2018.

As for taking the best 20 results, does this mean that players will have to end up playing in a minimum of 20 tournaments?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information