Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Floppy Drive Emulators

• Administrators
Alot of people seem to mention the gotek

I got amiga 2000 sitting there that im wondering a floppy emulator would make it usefull

I know you can buy a license to use HXC firmware on a Gotek, I'm just wondering if it can handle multiple disk formats?

I have a Gotek but have only used it on my retro pc hardware for which it works fine, it doesn't support all the disk sizes and I've seen a few firmware variants floating about that say they specifically for a keyboard, atari st and so forth. Off the top of my head unsure if it would do what you need AK

• Administrators
I have a Gotek but have only used it on my retro pc hardware for which it works fine, it doesn't support all the disk sizes and I've seen a few firmware variants floating about that say they specifically for a keyboard, atari st and so forth. Off the top of my head unsure if it would do what you need AK

Yeah that's why I think I'll go for the more expensive HXC.

I want something that will work on my Amstrad, ST and Amiga. My poor old ST hasn't been turned on in years. :cry not sure if it even works.

I've already got various devices to work on my 8 bit Atari's, Speccys, Beebs and Commodore's, having said that I still prefer running things from disks where possible.

- - - Updated - - -

If it doesn't work for a C64, I skip the thread :D

Pffft open your horizons mate, C64 is so bleh :D

Its time we get more discussion happening in the retro Computer and Console section.

So I have Goteks in an Atari 1040 STe, Amiga 500 & Amstrad 6128.

Advantage of Goteks being cheap is that I can have them permanently mounted in each system, not sharing an expensive (but good) bit of kit between the 3.

As the firmware of the Gotek devices will be flashed, you will overwrite the firmware on it, so it doesn't really matter what is on it to start with.

For Amiga the free Cortek firmware is OK, but does have some compatibility issues for some games. Sometimes it may take trying out a few different cracks to find one that works. However the HXC firmware (cost of 10 euros) is actively supported, and does better with compatibility. For Atari ST & Amstrad I have the HXC firmware, which works very nicely.

Regardless, Gotek is cheap, cheerful and for playing games will please almost everybody.