Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AMI 200 - Not playing after years of not being used

clownzilla

Question

Hi all,

I just took possession of my family's 1958 AMI 200 (model JAI 200) and am eager to get it back into working order. It has been sitting in my parents basement for nearly 20 years, plugged in (but off) the entire time.

Where would be best to start troubleshooting something like this? To start, I found and purchased a copy of the manual / parts list from online. I have called a few local companies that deal with jukebox repair but both said that model, while a great looking machine, was finicky and a pain to work on. Both offered to purchase it, but neither wanted to take on the repair (or even look at it)

When plugged in, the turntable continues to spin but it won't reset. The needle stays in it's base, not trying to play a record.

When I make a song selection, there's a mechanism in the front of the machine that does a full 360 degree rotation and then makes a very slight spark/zap sound. From the manual, it seems like that mechanism is the pulse generator. Sometimes it does a single rotation, while other times it may rotate 2, 3, or 4 times before stopping. The reset button at the back doesn't seem to send a signal.

I saw in the manual that there are a number of places to lube with oil or grease, and while I can do that since it hasn't been done in so long, could that even be the culprit if the reset button doesn't send a signal? Could fuses cause that?

I know this wouldn't be enough information to solve the issue, but is it enough to point me in the direction of how to best start troubleshooting and seeing where the problem could be? Is there a way to compartmentalize different components so I can eliminate non-issues?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

James

1 answer to this question

So when you make a selection the push buttons latch in?

Search unit motor starts but runs continuously?

Magazine doesn't start rotating as the selection hasn't registered?

If this is the case it sounds like the search unit needs needs a strip down.

If it has sat for 20 years with no use then and if your up for it pull the whole unit down, strip, clean and rebuild.

Putting lube/grease on grease that has probably solidified may only be a short term fix, if at all.