Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Advice on replacement rubber kits

I'm wanting to replace the rubbers on my DMD machines and seeking some advice.

What replacement rubber kits do people recommend using and where do they source them?

I know eBay and most online parts suppliers sell them, but do people have a preference?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

dont buy a kit

get the manual out and find out what rubbers are needed

id also recommend replacing your balls at the same time

What is the reason for this? I am guessing it is much cheaper working it out yourself?

Edited by furballx
quote fixed

dont buy a kit

get the manual out and find out what rubbers are needed

id also recommend replacing your balls at the same time

What is the reason for this? I am guessing it is much cheaper working it out yourself?

it is not about $

rubber kits have been known to be wrong (manuals can be wrong as well)

IMHO, pinball owners need to know their game

opening the manual is a good first step

if you are going to replace the rubbers, then you are going to have dismantle most of the playfield (take lots of pictures)

while you have a bare playfield, you might as well give it a good clean

im not saying that we all need to be able to fix board issues, but keeping the game clean and alll mechs functiining means a more enjoyable playing experience

Edited by furballx
quote fixed

So, Titan are described as "silicone" .... is there a reason for mentioning these specifically?

What about "super bands" which as far as I understand it are Eurethane? ... I have been trying out these most recently, after I aquired my The Getaway which had been fitted with red Superbands by the previous owner. Is the silicone more cost effective or something?

What about "super bands" which as far as I understand it are Eurethane? ... I have been trying out these most recently, after I aquired my The Getaway which had been fitted with red Superbands by the previous owner. Is the silicone more cost effective or something?

I've tried both. The super bands have a weird feel to them that many players don't like. Especially for the flippers, they change the way a game plays. There is a lot of friction between a super band and the ball, much more so than with normal flipper rubbers. You end up with more spin on the ball, and weird behaviour when trying to a live catch. The flippers also tend to get more bouncy when doing a dead bounce and, sometimes, super bands "grab" the ball on the flippers in really surprising ways.

The super bands are more like normal rubber, but they last longer than rubber, don't go brittle with age (at least nowhere near as quickly as rubber), and they shed fewer dirt particles onto the playfield.

You can get super bands in lots of colours, and they all feel the same, whereas, for normal rubber, the colour also changes the elasticity so, for example, red rubber rings are more bouncy than black ones.

If you use the Titans, I strongly recommend using the thin version for the flippers. They really work well, essentially identical to black flipper rubbers. If you want your flippers to play more like red or white rubber, get the standard size Titans.

Michi.

I have yet to ever buy a kit for a game that actually has all the ones needed. I got a kit awhile back that had 10 black post rubbers in it and the game it was for doesn't have a single one. I was how ever missing 6 x 3/16th white rings though:rolleyes

Good advice from @Pop Bumper Pete

Along with the superband thing I've also noticed that the coloured Cliffy post rubbers are a lot harder and have less rebound than the ol' bog standard black rubber ones (which incidentally I have now cornered the world market on - or so it seems).

Avoid the kits work out what you need then order what you need. I brought 2 kits last month and had to place an extra order for the rubbers that were not in the kit and now have surplus rubbers that I do not require. If you haven't already it is also a good time to install LEDs as to install some rubbers you will need to pull parts of the playfield apart to get to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered a rubber kit off of ebay for Wipeout - Had left overs, and also missing some rubbers. From what I could gather the kit was complete to manual specs so either the manual is wrong or some liberties had been taken by the previous owner. Regardless its something to be aware of.