Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Donkey Kong replica build

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a few days now but at the wee hours of Saturday morning after nightshift (2:30am) I sanded after the first two coats at 400grit and then gave everything a third coat of colour. Some poor lighting shots.

After sanding.

_20171216_095821.thumb.jpg.87190937381b27f8da189df13c0084a9.jpg

3rd coat of paint.

_20171216_095849.thumb.jpg.de96e14621219ed330c743823db651c3.jpg

• Like 2

It's been well over a week now since I have posted, had myself a nice hiccup in the process, started to sand the black pieces with 1500 wet sanding and it was looking abit rough, I put it down to using water based black as I had some left over, but only put on the same amount of layers as the blue oil based paint, so pretty sure I needed a heap more coats of black. So what I did was sand back the black with 400grit and got myself some satin black paint in a can.

_20171227_175318.thumb.jpg.6b4bf13211be2517bfc92bd15903a910.jpg

I sprayed 6 light coats over a few days with not much luck. So I decided to re sand with 400 grit and have another crack. This time I did 4 thicker coats and it came out abit better this round but I needed to sand not only smooth to touch but must look smooth also as the results were still lacking as you can see with the outer edge on my cp

_20171227_175222.thumb.jpg.15b9cbdcce56a80080557685dd4e0a8f.jpg

This was Christmas eve and I wasn't too happy with my results knowing I need to re sand again. Was annoying but not half as annoying if I left it and said that will do. So today (3rd time lucky) at the wee hours I got stuck into sanding again with 400grit, this time it took much longer and I got

Half as much done and used twice as much sandpaper, but here are the results.

Leftside done right, and rightside done as much as the first time I sanded (not enough)

_20171227_174653.thumb.jpg.f3abb59475771d98affd455f0008db7e.jpg

This is all I got done in an hour and a half :)

_20171227_174629.thumb.jpg.8d12742a0b6a6e00f490fb0d26d5e642.jpg

Hoping to sand both insides of the cab tomorrow an maybe even spray a light coat of black on.

Edited by -Slayer-
  • Like 1

Doesn't sanding and painting suck! Good to see you are being fussy and making sure you get it right. I've come to the conclusion you pretty much need a spray booth to get perfect painting because as soon as I spray something it seems to attract dust, insects etc... LOL. This is why I'm trying to get a cabinet maker to do my next builds out of laminated mdf.

Good work, making great progress. You should have this thing ready to assemble soon.

Thanks mate, yeah hoping to have it assembled next week all going well, the blacks going on good so far, so tomorrow morning I'll start the wet sanding on the blue and see if I need a couple more coats of blue or not. This process will probably take awhile as it's all by hand, was looking in to discs for my sander but by the time they get here I could be done lol.

Past couple of days I have been finishing off the black sections of the cab and preping the blue for last couple of coats, took some time but everything is sanded smooth

_20171231_232451.thumb.jpg.4c741d0a98338a2b8403490de57e9b5f.jpg

Also managed to get this bad boy on to see how it would look ☺

_20171231_232519.thumb.jpg.a286b2757744c636623aa6a89f118401.jpg

Tomorrow I will start the final two coats before I get ready to wet sand.

• Like 2

Are you using a nintendo lower bezel retainer? If so you'll need to cut a slot out of that lower bit of timber that you have the instruction sticker on. I didn't realise this when i built my cab and so ended up just using a bit of aluminium angle to hold the bottom of the bezel in. Would have been good if I realised it before assembly! That blue is looking great. :)

Are you using a nintendo lower bezel retainer? If so you'll need to cut a slot out of that lower bit of timber that you have the instruction sticker on. I didn't realise this when i built my cab and so ended up just using a bit of aluminium angle to hold the bottom of the bezel in. Would have been good if I realised it before assembly! That blue is looking great. :)

I think the cab has been slightly modified, I checked this out to see if I should make a new piece and the retainer sits at the back of the piece and has another bit that sits under the retainer.

Yeah the blue has come up really nice, pity the blue dust is now everywhere lol :)

Edited by -Slayer-

I think the cab has been slightly modified, I checked this out to see if I should make a new piece and the retainer sits at the back of the piece and has another bit that sits under the retainer.

Yeah the blue has come up really nice, pity the blue dust is now everywhere lol :)

My cab was an Arcadeworx flatpack too and the glass/plexi bezel definitely sits directly on top of this piece. Just like on the original. The build is slightly different though as the CP does not slot into it and there is another piece of timber that fits horizontal behind it. However the lower bezel retainer still needs a groove to sit in like in this pic of an original.

BZLRETNLWR.gif

So if you are using a genuine lower bezel retainer just make sure you can fit it ok. Don't mean to nag, just that I missed it on my build and so never got to fit it as too hard to try and route out a groove once the machine was together.

@stuzza I will have a look again next chance I get, I had a play with it before I started to paint to see if it looked like I could sit the bezel bracket at the back and the bezel sat against the side blocks on each side, I will check though, freaking out some now lol, I was just going to make a new piece as I was worried about this happening.

Ok just got a couple of shots.

Gap for bezel bracket

_20180102_105049.thumb.jpg.6c946f00f9df12ce939c528a865c51b6.jpg

With bracket

_20180102_105111.thumb.jpg.4b75ea56889fb170d32cba67dee39a0c.jpg

Really hope I'm not missing something here lol

Edited by -Slayer-
  • Like 1

hmm... nope yours looks ok then. I don't remember having the gap behind my piece or maybe I stuffed up something installing the vertical pieces so there was no gap. LOL. Anyway, yours looks ok then and makes sense. So long as that piece fits you'll be good to go. :)

hmm... nope yours looks ok then. I don't remember having the gap behind my piece or maybe I stuffed up something installing the vertical pieces so there was no gap. LOL. Anyway, yours looks ok then and makes sense. So long as that piece fits you'll be good to go. :)

Sure hope so, there is another piece the same the sits horizontal to the bottom of the braket also. I do however have a few pieces in this kit I have no idea where they go lol

Sure hope so, there is another piece the same the sits horizontal to the bottom of the braket also. I do however have a few pieces in this kit I have no idea where they go lol

Yeah I had a few bits and pieces left over. I think there are some spares in there - makes it confusing for assembly though LOL.

Yeah I had a few bits and pieces left over. I think there are some spares in there - makes it confusing for assembly though LOL.

Was hoping thats the case as they didn't get painted lol and there was no mention of them on the instructions

Getting very close to the end of the painting process, just have the two sides to wet sand and I will be putting it all together. For anyone else going to sand like crazy be sure to get plenty of supplies, here's my pile so far

_20180104_122021.thumb.jpg.34bb71a70a597dc04f55bdea9569b1a0.jpg

Looking great so far mate. Your effort to get a perfect paint job is amazing... I went to no where near that effort. Looking at paint jobs on original I am pretty sure Nintendo never went to that effort either.. Haha.

Look forward to the rest of it.

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

N00b here - looks great so far and keen to follow along with the build progress!

Question though - what is the end purpose of so many layers of paint and sanding? Are you covering with artwork that sticks on or is painted on?

Looking great so far mate. Your effort to get a perfect paint job is amazing... I went to no where near that effort. Looking at paint jobs on original I am pretty sure Nintendo never went to that effort either.. Haha.

Look forward to the rest of it.

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, I wasn't planning on going to this much effort either but got onto a guy in the states that does this to his cab restores and I had to do it :)

N00b here - looks great so far and keen to follow along with the build progress!

Question though - what is the end purpose of so many layers of paint and sanding? Are you covering with artwork that sticks on or is painted on?

End result is a mirror like finish on the paint, layers are there to get a nice smooth polished colour, without all the layer you would have nothing to sand / polish. Probably wouldnt need so many layers if I was to spray it, but I'm using a fine roller and with rollers especially you will be left with an orange peel effect in the paint work so that's why all the sanding to remove this at each paint stage.