Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Donkey Kong replica build

It's finally time, since iv been on this forum I have been going on about building a DK cab, well I have spent the last 8 months or so gathering supplies (and extra stuff for other projects down the line :)) it's now time to start my build thread. The aim is to build this cab as close to an original as possible with a few slight changes.

I got myself a cab from Rob @ArcadeWorx and have started to prep it up for paint.

Pretty much everything I need for the build.

_20171130_104121.thumb.jpg.fa16896eb0cecac6413b8edeeba2659e.jpg

First things first, sorting out some batterns and monitor supports:

_20171130_104147.thumb.jpg.4378ba77defc07727eb2e5b5d9a4fad5.jpg

And that's as far as I have gotten at this stage, but stay tuned as I will hopefully start painting next week :D

• Like 2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear these cabs go together well, they look like they will no problems. I will find out soon enough. Iv had a quick play with some sections to see if my marquee and bezel brackets will fit and looks like all good. Next chance I get (hopefully tomorrow) I will be hitting everything with a sand before undercoat goes on.

First undercoat done, sorry for poor quality pics, not the best lighting at 4:30 in the morning but you get the idea. I'll be doing another coat tomorrow morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120543[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120544[/ATTACH]

What are u painting with? Did u paint a primer first? Curious incase i end up building one too.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

What are u painting with? Did u paint a primer first? Curious incase i end up building one too.

This is currently the first coat of oil based primer tinted grey, I will do another coat tomorrow and then sand before I start the blue

Managed to get a second undercoat done thismorning, tomorrow I will start the undercoat on the inside of the sides.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120621[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]120622[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]120623[/ATTACH]

Looking good. you using a roller? Or spraying it?

Looking good. you using a roller? Or spraying it?

I didn't trust my spraying skills so I went with roller and I will sand every two coats.

Looking good

On my to do list is to build one as well just love the look of a DK cab

Would be interested in where you got all your parts

Good luck with the build

Cheers mate, I will at somepoint down the track of this build and give a detailed list of everything and where I got it from ☺

After two coats of undercoat cab was looking alittle bubbly and in need of a sand, was textured to touch

received_10155913373789931.thumb.jpeg.fce2a95dd953567d3dd4c327fc60f6b6.jpeg

Thismorning I sanded everything with 120grit back to a smooth finish ready for a third and final undercoat.

DSC_1858.thumb.jpg.13641b8502d3a6ecc217594bff80b636.jpg

Preparation is 90% of the job, it's great to see you taking the time and effort to do it right.

Thanks mate, it's getting there, already taken a good 6hrs but I want it to look the goods once done so worth the time in my books.

I used wet & dry sandpaper at about 600/800 grit between the last couple of coats on my fix it felix cab. Soaked the sandpaper in some water then sanded. It gives a very nice ultra smooth finish. However I did use spray cans for my top coats though. The ultra smooth finish was also good for applying the vinyl as no bumps were then seen anywhere.

I used wet & dry sandpaper at about 600/800 grit between the last couple of coats on my fix it felix cab. Soaked the sandpaper in some water then sanded. It gives a very nice ultra smooth finish. However I did use spray cans for my top coats though. The ultra smooth finish was also good for applying the vinyl as no bumps were then seen anywhere.

Yes that's the plan to hit the last couple coats of paint with 1500 and 2000 grit wet&dry paper, then seal it with polish :)