Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Hydro graphic dipping

Jfed

I am considering getting my side rails, legs etc powder coated on my pinball machine. I know someone who can do the hydro graphic dipping which I have always thought looks pretty good but never thought about using on a pinball before.

I am wondering if anyone has come across this being done before? I am thinking it could end up looking pretty good, obviously depending on the machine and what graphics were used.

I am thinking of using skulls incorporated onto a Metallica machine, possibly onto lollipop rails.

I guess making sure it's not much will be the tricky bit. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions and I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

What's hydro graphic dipping? I've not heard of it. Is it a water based ( hydro) product?

Like John said probably best to google it, there are plenty of videos that show the process and end result. I've seen it in person and it looks amazing. I can't see any reason it couldn't be applied to pinball parts but I'm far from an expert so not sure. There are also thermo graphics so as an item heats up the pattern can appear or disappear or change, probably not applicable to Pinball's but awesome on engine parts and cars.

Has anyone an idea on cost

Id be suprised if this was very affordable though one could wish

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'm not sure yet but I will know very soon, how much does powder coating usually cost?

Has anyone an idea on cost

Id be suprised if this was very affordable though one could wish

Browsing eBay, it looks like around $15 per square metre for the film. Not sure what the activator costs, but it can't possibly make a lot of difference. In short, this looks quite affordable.

Michi.

This process is absolutely mesmerising to watch on youtube.

Obviously a degree of skill involved but the possibilities are endless.

We've got a young fella at work that's done his painting apprenticeship and is into the "Drift car" scene and has been using clingwrap and alfoil as mediums to give different effects to consoles, gear knobs, facias etc.

I'm going to quiz him about this process as he has the skill and imagination to do more.

Anybody doing it commercially in Brisbane?

I have a family member who has a mechanic and painshop that have been doing this with auto parts for a while. They have a full setup and I have offered to be a test dummy to try out some parts for my pinball over the next few weeks. I will post pics and more info once I have it sorted.

I got a hydro tank and used to do a lot of it . Costly to set up in the first place - its Labour intensive to get a nice finish and the better the clear you use the better the job . Pinball parts can cost any where from 100 a item up . Another AA member @Savage was setting one up and there is a thread on it somewhere i don't know how far he got with it

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I looked into this recently. Expensive to get done professionally. Was quoted $250 per wheel but that included the prep work, sandblast @ $25, primed, & I presume painted in a base colour. & $100 to do each cabinet door at 400 x 300 mm.

Would be much cheaper to do it yourself. But would need some sort of setting up: tanks etc.

Looks real good though, looking at you tube. Lots of different effects available

I have a family member who has a mechanic and painshop that have been doing this with auto parts for a while. They have a full setup and I have offered to be a test dummy to try out some parts for my pinball over the next few weeks. I will post pics and more info once I have it sorted.

Sounds good. Keep us updated.

Picking a pattern is tough, not sure if skulls or turbo and pistons would suit the theme better. I was leaning towards skulls but turbo and pistons fits in with the fuel theme. I'm thinking of going for a purple base coat.

I hope these links work as it's the first time I've tried and any feedback or thoughts welcome!

http://https://www.hydromonkeys.com/index.php?_route_=original-pistons-turbos-film-50cm.html

https://www.hydromonkeys.com/index.php?_route_=insanity-film-100cm.html&search=Skulls&page=2