Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

USB recovery

• Administrators

Your USB, I'm assuming a little flash drive? OR are you talking about a USB connected external HDD?

I don't know of any "cost effective" data recovery businesses but it will depend on the type of hardware you're talking about which is not clear nor the state of it?

Brad

Your USB, I'm assuming a little flash drive? OR are you talking about a USB connected external HDD?

I don't know of any "cost effective" data recovery businesses but it will depend on the type of hardware you're talking about which is not clear nor the state of it?

Brad

Sorry yeah it's a USB thumb drive. It crashed today and hasn't been able to connect to any computer so I'm guessing I'd have to take it to someone

• Administrators
trouble is if you dont take an image (if possible at all) then u can stuff it up even though its mem chips. more likely no voltage going through and need to hack

Yeah it all depends on its state.

It the computer seeing it?

Is it seeing it and saying it needs to format it (don't)

Is it just not seeing it at all?

Have you tried difference computers or different ports

Brad

Yeah it all depends on its state.

It the computer seeing it?

Is it seeing it and saying it needs to format it (don't)

Is it just not seeing it at all?

Have you tried difference computers or different ports

Brad

Tried 4x different computers and both ports on the laptop. The computer isn't seeing it at all I'm guessing something on it died

My external hard drive started having issues last week . System kept freezing every time it tried to read. I downloaded recuva software this morning for free and recovered all my kids photos.

Got out of that one without having to tell the Mrs I lost all the kids baby photos.

• Administrators
Tried 4x different computers and both ports on the laptop. The computer isn't seeing it at all I'm guessing something on it died

Then as Jas said sounds like a 5volt issue on the chip inside the memory stick.

Brad

USB thumb drive doesnt have a platter,

Recovery options are very limited.

First check under a x20 and see if there are any fractures on the input side 5 pin connector.

Then

I would look at the schematic for the chip and see if vcc and vss pins are shorted to ground.

however you will need to ensure you have a ground strap active otherwise if they are not they definitely will be by the time you are finished.

If this is a cheap USB stick which i am betting it is, i would say its just toast as they are exceptionally un reliable.

As there is only around 10 sticks these days that are actually suited for guarantee of data.

• Administrators
Or have a NAS and hope your house doesn't burn down...

Yeah, that's my scenario at the moment. I schedule my wife's doctorate work and my stuff onto the NAS (mine delta copies in real time but we also send it off-site to Dropbox just in case of the proverbial fire OR theft.

Brad

I don't consider ANY HDD or Memory Stick as guarantee of data.

You should always have 2 copies. One on external and one on internal. That's a backup

Brad

Actually 3

...and 1 offsite.

At work, our server gets backed up to the NAS, the NAS gets backed up to 3 external drives on rotation. Each day, 1 drive is in the NAS, one on the desk (unplugged) and one goes home. The next day, the one in the NAS goes in the car, the one in the car goes on the desk and the one on the desk goes in the NAS and so on and so forth. Safe to say we've yet to lose any data and we've been hit by cryptolocker twice.

Also @Audioenslaved, (bit late now but good to know in future) does your GF just pull the usb out when she's finished or does she go through the procedure of shutting it down first? I've seen many usb drives fried from not being shut down first before being yanked out of the port.

Also @Audioenslaved, (bit late now but good to know in future) does your GF just pull the usb out when she's finished or does she go through the procedure of shutting it down first? I've seen many usb drives fried from not being shut down first before being yanked out of the port.

Yeah I'm guessing she's one of those people who have a tendency to just pull out without ejecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...