• Enraged
  • Embarrased
  • Drunk
  • Down
  • Depressed
  • Crying
  • Crazy
  • Cool
  • Cocky
  • Bemused
  • Awesome
  • Annoyed
  • Angry
  • Amused
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 22

    Thread: A real life experiment into how the general public likes pinball

    1. #1
      Koops's Avatar
      Koops is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Tired
       

      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      State
      Denial
      Posts
      1,137
      Mentioned
      42 Post(s)
      Quoted
      405 Post(s)
      Australia

      A real life experiment into how the general public likes pinball

      Or not.

      So a few weeks back i'm at work (a tech company) and one of the marketing girls (in a cubical just near me) was taking to someone quite loud on the phone about hiring something fun for an event we're having like arcade games or ....pinball machines.

      "Ohhh I better listen to the rest of this". So they are getting prices to hire some for an event we're having. She's getting a list of the machines.

      So she finishes up and I walk past and mention I have some at home so I could have a look at the list and see if any are worth hiring. She asks what ones do I have so I show some pictures.

      "I could bring a couple in if there is interest".

      Next thing you know Im now on the hook for bringing pins to work. Oh well perhaps I'll get paid to play for a few hours.

      Hmm what ones to take...

      I decided on a mix.

      NBA Fastbreak (because it needed to be out of my house)
      Twilight zone (pretty classic 90's)
      Hobbit (lcd attracts spectators)
      Stern Star Trek (now with colordmd!)



      A mix of generations and game play styles.

      Over a two week period I pack them up and bring them into work.

      People keep asking me things about them and it feels like they'll be popular. I did leave them off as people need to actually do some work.

      In an office and our team is around 120 or so staff so odds would be good that someone would like pinball right?

      Edit: on Friday I had one of the shittest work days in 15 years. **** it ... I'm turning the machines on!

      I had the machines on for two hours on Friday arvo after 3pm ..... I got 6 people including myself.

      So 5% interest, so 95% uninterested. not quite the 99.9999% that I'd heard before but still.

      Eh.

      Casualty list so far is 2 flipper springs, a few leg bolts and their threads and my tz clock.

      We'll see how the actual event goes next week.

      Serves me right for eavesdropping I suppose.

      Hopefully I haven't wasted my time. :/
      Last edited by Koops; 1 Week Ago at 09:19 PM.

    2. #2
      Pop Bumper Pete's Avatar
      Pop Bumper Pete is offline
      is Pop Bumper Peeps
       
      Cool
       

      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      State
      Ballarat, Victoria
      Posts
      3,486
      Mentioned
      15 Post(s)
      Quoted
      503 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Koops View Post
      Or not.

      So a few weeks back i'm at work (a tech company) and one of the marketing girls (in a cubical just near me) was taking to someone quite loud on the phone about hiring something fun for an event we're having like arcade games or ....pinball machines.

      "Ohhh I better listen to the rest of this". So they are getting prices to hire some for an event we're having. She's getting a list of the machines.

      So she finishes up and I walk past and mention I have some at home so I could have a look at the list and see if any are worth hiring. She asks what ones do I have so I show some pictures.

      "I could bring a couple in if there is interest".

      Next thing you know Im now on the hook for bringing pins to work. Oh well perhaps I'll get paid to play for a few hours.

      Hmm what ones to take...

      I decided on a mix.

      NBA Fastbreak (because it needed to be out of my house)
      Twilight zone (pretty classic 90's)
      Hobbit (lcd attracts spectators)
      Stern Star Trek (now with colordmd!)



      A mix of generations and game play styles.

      Over a two week period I pack them up and bring them into work.

      People keep asking me things about them and it feels like they'll be popular. I did leave them off as people need to actually do some work.

      In an office with about 120 or so staff so odds would be good that someone would like pinball right?

      I had the machines on for two hours on Friday arvo after 3pm ..... I got 6 people including myself.

      So 5% interest, not quite the 99.9999% I've heard before but still.

      Eh.

      Casualty list so far is 2 flipper springs, a few leg bolts and their threads and my tz clock.

      We'll see how the actual event goes next week.

      Serves me right for eavesdropping I suppose.

      Hopefully I haven't wasted my time. :/
      Early days. Sounds like a large organisation, takes time for people to reailes that the games are onsite and free to play

    3. #3
      Koops's Avatar
      Koops is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Tired
       

      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      State
      Denial
      Posts
      1,137
      Mentioned
      42 Post(s)
      Quoted
      405 Post(s)
      Australia

      They've been there for a couple of weeks and people need to walk past them to get out the doors but I hope your right.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    4. #4
      mix_vt_cal's Avatar
      mix_vt_cal is offline
      is raiding tombs with Indy!
       
      Cool
       

      Join Date
      May 2011
      State
      Melbourne
      Posts
      749
      Mentioned
      32 Post(s)
      Quoted
      204 Post(s)
      Australia
      I've found that people who weren't exposed to them in their youth are rarely interested.

      Well, for folks 40+ anyway.....

    5. #5
      oldhank's Avatar
      oldhank is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      State
      nsw
      Posts
      445
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Quoted
      74 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by mix_vt_cal View Post
      I've found that people who weren't exposed to them in their youth are rarely interested.

      Well, for folks 40+ anyway.....
      Im 27 and i have trouble walking past a pinnie with out having a game
      live between the flip and the tilt

    6. #6
      Ryza's Avatar
      Ryza is offline
      is Waiting Patiently for Hobbit
      Wizard mode
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      State
      Victoria
      Posts
      4,046
      Mentioned
      379 Post(s)
      Quoted
      2102 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by mix_vt_cal View Post
      I've found that people who weren't exposed to them in their youth are rarely interested.

      Well, for folks 40+ anyway.....
      Yep. Kids are interested, parents are not interested in their kids being interested when they learn of the cost.

    7. #7
      Koops's Avatar
      Koops is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Tired
       

      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      State
      Denial
      Posts
      1,137
      Mentioned
      42 Post(s)
      Quoted
      405 Post(s)
      Australia

      A real life experiment into how the general public likes pinball

      Quote Originally Posted by mix_vt_cal View Post
      I've found that people who weren't exposed to them in their youth are rarely interested.

      Well, for folks 40+ anyway.....
      Well that's the thing.

      I'd say the majority are 40-50yo male.

      The most interested was a new guy that just started recently. 20's indian and had never played a single machine before in his entire life.

      Started him on the hobbit and within the first ball gets a mystery awarded Smaug multiball lol!

      Hmm, i wonder how big the Indian market is

    8. #8
      Audioenslaved is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      State
      Blacktown
      Posts
      3,472
      Mentioned
      126 Post(s)
      Quoted
      822 Post(s)
      Australia
      I loaned some machines out for the bosses kids birthday apparently they were played non stop for the party and a few hours afterwards the kids and dads loved them equally


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      In: Iron man, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
      Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, Bram Stroker's Dracula, Demolition man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, Roadshow, The Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

    9. #9
      Glenn70's Avatar
      Glenn70 is offline
      is needing more space for pins
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2016
      State
      Victoria
      Posts
      585
      Mentioned
      21 Post(s)
      Quoted
      171 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Koops View Post
      The most interested was a new guy that just started recently. 20's indian and had never played a single machine before in his entire life.

      Started him on the hobbit and within the first ball gets a mystery awarded Smaug multiball lol!

      Hmm, i wonder how big the Indian market is
      He'll probably crack the highest score within a week!

      Yes, interesting indeed. I am having about 20 of my wife's work colleagues over in a few weeks and I'm sure my machines will be turned on. I'll be interested in who is keen for a game. There's a mix of ages too, from early 20's through to 50. Like Mike stated, unless they played or were exposed to them when younger, they may not show interest. Will be interesting indeed.

      Good luck with your pins at work, and great line up indeed.

    10. #10
      ocyen's Avatar
      ocyen is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      State
      Sydney, NSW
      Posts
      925
      Mentioned
      36 Post(s)
      Quoted
      312 Post(s)
      Australia
      I find that most people who never played them when they were popular are actually scared of them in a way. Too scared to push cabinet buttons in case they break something. Too scared of the noises they make (especially knockers). Too scared to try and understand what is going on on a playfield. It's a weird mindset but it's just as you say - much easier to get younger people into it than the older guys.


      Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •