Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

[WANTED] Somebody that can help me fixing a CPS2 B-Board (Xmen vs. SF)

mtn

Question

I recently acquired a used CPS A+B combo with Xmen vs. SF. I worked great for a couple of hours but then crashed (garbled video output) on Day 2 while playing. When I turned on the arcade the next day I was greeted (quite literally as you may notice [emoji39]) by some garbled output on the screen.

From what I read this will likely NOT a suicide situation, as the board doesn't show a solid coloured screen but garbled gfx output.

Any suggestions how to fix this myself are welcome. Otherwise it would be awesome to know if there's somebody that has a great track-record on troubleshooting and fixing CPS2 boards. I'm located in Sydney but would certainly pay for the repair incl. shipping both ways.

Thank you guys!

IMG_0114.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

17 answers to this question

I gave the the edge connector (using a pencil eraser), as well as both boards a good clean again. I also reseated them one more time. No luck =( As I already tried the setup on another cabinet, it doesn't seem that +5V is the issue.

Seperate and reseat the 2 boards - try another A board if you have one. Ideally you need to open your B board and check to see if the battery has died, it's usually a solid colour when it suicides but not always.

If it's suicided, I can fix it for you by either replacing the EPROMs with decrypted code or installing a new battery and reloading the decryption keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate. I reseated the two boards a couple of times by now and also checked the battery which is still at 3.6V. I'll get another A board, hopefully by end of next week, and will see if that fixes it.

I'll keep you all posted on that!

If another A board gives you the same issue, it's either a voltage issue as dragonlee said and neither of your cabs is giving enough, or a ROM or some other part has failed, but keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update. While I haven't received the other A board yet, I checked the actual voltage coming from the PSU it was connected to when it suddenly stopped failing on Day 2. It was 5.4V and 12.1V... So maybe that was a little bit too much? I should have checked that when I received the arcade a few weeks back. Lesson learned... :# I now corrected the voltage to be 5.1V and 12.1V..

All measurements were done while another board was connected (RPi3 + RaspberryJAMMA) and running a game... So yeah, during load ;)

Quick update. While I haven't received the other A board yet, I checked the actual voltage coming from the PSU it was connected to when it suddenly stopped failing on Day 2. It was 5.4V and 12.1V... So maybe that was a little bit too much? I should have checked that when I received the arcade a few weeks back. Lesson learned... :# I now corrected the voltage to be 5.1V and 12.1V..

All measurements were done while another board was connected (RPi3 + RaspberryJAMMA) and running a game... So yeah, during load ;)

How did things end up? Happy ending?

I just got another grey "A board" to make sure it's actually the A board that needs fixing. aussiekanga once offered me fixing things for quite cheap including return, unfortunately i can't pm him anymore?!