Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Aldi juke player.

Yep! I already have software downloaded, Just wanting to know if it's already been done. No point reinventing the wheel so to speak.

How much was the jukebox mate? It looks cool. I'd be interested to hear how to convert one as well to run a jukebox program. I'll be watching this thread.

I bought one from Aldi last year and they were $399 but I took it back as nothing worked properly, and there was a queue of people returning them.

Hopefully they have improved for this batch.

Mine works fine no issues other than it's a player only. No selection ability but I knew that when I bought it. I don't think it would be all that hard to modify it.

- - - Updated - - -

How much was the jukebox mate? It looks cool. I'd be interested to hear how to convert one as well to run a jukebox program. I'll be watching this thread.

I think it was $299 not $399.

I bought one off ebay a while ago for $120 all up including freight from Melbourne , then spent a week fixing it.

When I bought it the previous people had removed the amplifier and power supply, so I first had to work out all of that by myself

as I had no circuit diagrams or wire pinouts or anything, for most of the project I was working blind anyway ,

I used a PC power supply then I modded it with an old core 2 duo Dell computer and a touch screen

using Windows XP and DWJukebox software, I added some used Altec Lansing speakers, and the screen was mounted with a monitor mount arm, its now used every BBQ.

It has good sound and Plays MP3 from USB, SDCARD ,CDS,Bluetooth and now touchscreen MP3 from the computer using the AUX channel.

Fantastic , happy with it. "sorry about the pictures being the wrong way around"

IMG_5822.thumb.jpg.40dbe7b524973208715470927878eae9.jpg

IMG_5825.thumb.jpg.5bcd6c144f5445cc52546d121a1baa78.jpg

IMG_5827.thumb.JPG.41c05b019f2a834e304b586465035454.JPG

IMG_5828.thumb.jpg.5ec2df4659ffb57fc9efbac27f7f9fbd.jpg

The original one would surely sound pretty crumby? The speaker can't be that good

The sound is a bit "Woody" but as it's background music drowned out by the pinballs & arcade games you don't really notice.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought one off ebay a while ago for $120 all up including freight from Melbourne , then spent a week fixing it.

When I bought it the previous people had removed the amplifier and power supply, so I first had to work out all of that by myself

as I had no circuit diagrams or wire pinouts or anything, for most of the project I was working blind anyway ,

I used a PC power supply then I modded it with an old core 2 duo Dell computer and a touch screen

using Windows XP and DWJukebox software, I added some used Altec Lansing speakers, and the screen was mounted with a monitor mount arm, its now used every BBQ.

It has good sound and Plays MP3 from USB, SDCARD ,CDS,Bluetooth and now touchscreen MP3 from the computer using the AUX channel.

Fantastic , happy with it. "sorry about the pictures being the wrong way around"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119418[/ATTACH]

This is what I was thinking except I'd like the screen built into the front space. Great effort! Now I just need to find a touch screen small enough.

I found out I`m getting one of these for xmas from my kids , so hoping to make it shed worthy. this looks good.

Is the AUX channel part of the juke or the computer. How much room is inside to fit a computer?

this project may have to wait a few months until the kids/missus forget about it . "improvements" may not be well recieved a week after xmas

I`m glad someone has found potential in these things.

its just that I have 600 gig of music files that I would like to access still. The USB port gives access but no way of browsing tracks, which is where the computer is needed really.

Its good to see that someone has worked out a way to combine without trashing it. I was looking to use existing shed speaker setup ,so no issue there. just haave to wait til santa comes and go from there.

nice work

I found out I`m getting one of these for xmas from my kids , so hoping to make it shed worthy. this looks good.

Is the AUX channel part of the juke or the computer. How much room is inside to fit a computer?

this project may have to wait a few months until the kids/missus forget about it . "improvements" may not be well recieved a week after xmas

I`m glad someone has found potential in these things.

I know what hacking into a Christmas present feels like. It was actually my wife that wanted one of those Aldi Jukeboxes and I knocked the idea on the head solely because I knew she wouldn't want me hacking into it.

As for the external speakers and adding your 600Gb of content, what about BluToothing both of them?.

I use a BluTooth transmitter/ receiver, (all software on the USB dongle), on a Sony car radio receiving the content from a laptop or Tablet and a 2TB HDD hooked to them.

I then run Kodi on the laptop or the tablet and use the touchscreen to navigate.

If you have a cheap unloved mobile phone, you can then use the Kodi app on the phone to work as a touchscreen for controlling Kodi on the laptop/tablet if you want to control or add songs to the playlist remotely.

Considering you have a lovely looking Jukebox, what about instead of a touchscreen in the face, you just install a tablet?.

Hook the tablet up using an OTG plug adapter that has both USB and audio/video outlets.

The HDD you own with your content plugs in the USB, the audio goes into the jukebox's sound aux plug and the video goes off to an external TV.

If you go a Samsung Tablet and Samsung TV, you can use "mirrorcast" to send the video signal to the remote TV screen wirelessly or if you don't have a Sammy TV, just plug a ChromeCast into the HDMI port on the TV and it will work on mirrorcast from the Samsung tablet.

Nice simple solution steve, I hadn't considered the Bluethooth function as a mean to an end. :)

Chances are you are going to need a BluTooth dongle that is a standalone type that doesn't need a Windows, Apple or Linux OP to do the work, that is why I mentioned I hook it up to a Sony car radio.

Just be aware of that when you buy the dongle as I doubt the Aldi Jukebox will be running a proper OP, probably a hacked down version of one of the above and probably missing the drivers required.

Using a standalone type BluTooth dongle will take care of that potential problem.

• 1 month later...

Well the wife got her way and "invested" in the Aldi $399 jukebox today.

I swear she wanted it and I even mentioned they have issues and some of you guys have had problems and even returned them.

Her response...

So you need to tear it apart?.

My response....

Well it needs some work and it will only be better when I'm done I think.

Her response....

Good, put it in the trolley.

I figure the turntable can go. We have no records and besides, I think a screen would look better there and I need a screen so you can see when navigating anyway.

I'm thinking RPi myself because I have a few and the OpenLec powered RPi I run down the farm runs flawlessly.

A couple of speakers to get the best of the sound and a Sony car radio for the AM/FM/USB as well as the internal amp in the Sony, (25watts per channel).

She is thinking it will live in the house TV room but would like it for out the back patio when we need it so I'll probably fit new casters.

Hell, it has miles of room inside, I may throw in a big truck battery and a mains charger so to not only help with the stability but also make it completely wireless.

Any ideas you may think of would help. I'm still at the stage of thinking what to use the "shell" for best.

I'm open to suggestions.;)

Well the wife got her way and "invested" in the Aldi $399 jukebox today.

I swear she wanted it and I even mentioned they have issues and some of you guys have had problems and even returned them.

Her response...

So you need to tear it apart?.

My response....

Well it needs some work and it will only be better when I'm done I think.

Her response....

Good, put it in the trolley.

I figure the turntable can go. We have no records and besides, I think a screen would look better there and I need a screen so you can see when navigating anyway.

I'm thinking RPi myself because I have a few and the OpenLec powered RPi I run down the farm runs flawlessly.

A couple of speakers to get the best of the sound and a Sony car radio for the AM/FM/USB as well as the internal amp in the Sony, (25watts per channel).

She is thinking it will live in the house TV room but would like it for out the back patio when we need it so I'll probably fit new casters.

Hell, it has miles of room inside, I may throw in a big truck battery and a mains charger so to not only help with the stability but also make it completely wireless.

Any ideas you may think of would help. I'm still at the stage of thinking what to use the "shell" for best.

I'm open to suggestions.;)

I saw this new version in the flyer & thought It looked a bit plain compared to the last version. Anyway on mine I've cut the wires to the internal speakers & now have external speaker connectors & have mounted a pair of speakers on the wall 6mt apart & 3mts high feeding from the juke. The sound is a major improvement & the Stereo is now very real. I also put in an output for the light chaser to do it's thing. All good so far. Don't chuck the turntable parts Steve I have records I need to convert to MP3. :)

• 2 months later...

any updates on aldi juke projects ?

a sufficient amount of time since xmas has passed so I looking to move on this.

not really sure about the bluetooth idea. seems simple but I need to get my head aroundit a bit more. not really up to speed with this.need to be stepped through it a bit more

so plan A is similar to picture in earlier post with touchscreen mounted above the juke , computer mounted inside the juke cabinet . I have existing external speakers already mounted in shed , so will wire into these .

as for the front of the juke , thinking of sound activated LED bars mounted in where it says jukebox , or if it looks shit just replace the cover with something else that would suit my shed/bar more- say the coca-cola logo. it would be backlit by existing lights.

thanks morgo

Edited by morgo
fix spelling

• 6 months later...