Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Isolation transformer

this is probably a dumb question, but, so with no load the fuse between the mains supply and the transformer blows?

Not sure. This fuse is between the transformer and chassis. Originally I thought it was chassis related so I sent it away and Jomac did his thing, but the fuse is still blowing. As far as I can tell it's something to do with the transformer itself and research suggests something is shorted within (breakdown of insulation perhaps).

Not sure. This fuse is between the transformer and chassis. Originally I thought it was chassis related so I sent it away and Jomac did his thing, but the fuse is still blowing. As far as I can tell it's something to do with the transformer itself and research suggests something is shorted within (breakdown of insulation perhaps).

How many amps is the fuse that is blowing?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

3A slow blow

Looking at that transformer, that to me looks like it's wired like an auto-transformer. Is the neutral coming from the mains and going to the monitor connected together?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Edit: What's the brown wire at the top connected to?

Looking at that transformer, that to me looks like it's wired like an auto-transformer. Is the neutral coming from the mains and going to the monitor connected together?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

I'll trace it all and get back to you. Thanks John, appreciate your assistance

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Ok, the brown wire goes to the power supply beside it. The yellow neutral goes in this order from the mains:

1) to the top transformer I'm holding

2) 3A fuse

3) Ferrite bead or whatever that is

4) then to the transformer on the far right

5) then to the connector for the chassis but then no further. It's cut off from the other side of the connector. And it's always been like this and has worked previously

IMG_20170718_124134.thumb.jpg.d21f3dc98f9668bccc4f3212a7803f21.jpg

When you mention Jomac, what did you send to him? The whole machine? The transformer? Joey wouldn't send something back that was faulty.

Personally I would go the process of elimination route, start from the mains input with no load and check voltages.

I have found though some transformers won't give a correct output voltage reading without a load.

With the power off and nothing connected to any of the transformer lugs check if there is continuity to the transformer housing. You want a high resistance, no continuity.

Looking at the pics I see 2 transformers, why?

You could isolate the load from the switching power supply and see if it still blows or to save a fuse or more put you multi meter probes across the fuse holder and see what current is being drawn.

I'm sure there is someone more suited to answer your issue.

Still thinking, so are you basically wanting to supply your switch mode power supply with 110V from a mains supply of 240V?

I'm probably way out but I reckon your switch mode PSU is to blame.