Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Photobucket Logo issue

It is photoucket not anything you are doing. They now suddenly want us to pay $500 a year to allow 3rd party linking. Basically trying to hold their customers to ransom. I think they are about to go belly up and this is a last ditch effort to grab money. They have killed years worth of links all over the internet.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

It is photoucket not anything you are doing. They now suddenly want us to pay $500 a year to allow 3rd party linking. Basically trying to hold their customers to ransom. I think they are about to go belly up and this is a last ditch effort to grab money. They have killed years worth of links all over the internet.[/url]

What he said

bad form on their part I say

The extreme cost of a plan that allows linking to 3rd party sites, such as AA, is just bizzare thinking IMO?

The asking price is way beyond any sensible "value" you might receive.

It costs $22.50 for two years web name registration and a further $50 a year to host that site with, usually, TONS of storage space, your own email addresses and 100% control by yourself of all aspects.

$65 a year for 100% YOUR OWN site VS $400 (and that's USD I assume so make it closer to AU$550 PER YEAR) ------ it's just insane.......

I tried posting a screen shot from the PB website here with pricing but I can't link it - LOL

The extreme cost of a plan that allows linking to 3rd party sites, such as AA, is just bizzare thinking IMO?

The asking price is way beyond any sensible "value" you might receive.

It costs $22.50 for two years web name registration and a further $50 a year to host that site with, usually, TONS of storage space, your own email addresses and 100% control by yourself of all aspects.

$65 a year for 100% YOUR OWN site VS $400 (and that's USD I assume so make it closer to AU$550 PER YEAR) ------ it's just insane.......

I tried posting a screen shot from the PB website here with pricing but I can't link it - LOL

Problem is a lot of people are not capable of setting up their own website to host their own images, so they have to rely on these 3rd party websites............. and incase anyone is reading this price scheme and thinking photobucket is making a lot of money, that pricing is only for the home user setting up their own site or a small business, that is not the costs for a commercial large scale webhosting....... their hosting costs would be astronomical... those cheap plans are not at all capable of handling large amounts of traffic.

Despite a lot of negative backlash, so far for photobucket this looks like its going well. These complainers will leave and go onto something else, like always, but plenty will stay. In an interview John Corpus has stated that their revenue has doubled since starting to charge the yearly fee.... they've gone from almost closing down to being able to continue operating because of this.

Huge money grab! Once the dust settles, we'll see whether Photobucket will survive.

Yeah it's the crazy amount of money they want that makes no sense. Surely a $10-$30 a year fee would be more appropriate and have a better chance of securing more of their existing users. The fact is they've been free all this time and allowed the remote hosting no problem, then just cut it off like that without reasonable notice.

Problem is a lot of people are not capable of setting up their own website to host their own images, so they have to rely on these 3rd party websites............. and incase anyone is reading this price scheme and thinking photobucket is making a lot of money, that pricing is only for the home user setting up their own site or a small business, that is not the costs for a commercial large scale webhosting....... their hosting costs would be astronomical... those cheap plans are not at all capable of handling large amounts of traffic.

Despite a lot of negative backlash, so far for photobucket this looks like its going well. These complainers will leave and go onto something else, like always, but plenty will stay. In an interview John Corpus has stated that their revenue has doubled since starting to charge the yearly fee.... they've gone from almost closing down to being able to continue operating because of this.

I had zero knowledge about setting up a website when I started, just Googled things and bumbled along. These days is is a million times easier with all of the free tools included by most web hosts.

You don't need to put up a web site anyway to host pictures - just get a domain name and hosting and use a free FTP program to upload pics to your own site - exactly the same way you used to do it to Photobucket. Then link to the pics hosted on your own site.

I did this for years perfectly well and very easily - I can't as easily access my websites using FTP from China so I have stopped doing things that way in recent years.

For the average poster who might put up a dozen pics a week I think it is an excellent, and cost effective way of keeping things under THEIR control with (these days) a very small learning curve.