Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Latest Retro Reboot - The C64 Mini

Jed

These have been around a while (new to me tho!) here's another couple of remakes in C64 format.

These guys (C64 demo and cracker group 'n0stalgia' ) really went to town on ghosts and goblins especially, filling in a lot of the missing stuff from the original C64 version, it is a really AMAZING job with fantastic work on the music too, a real masterpiece! I haven't tried Commando yet but the same guys did it, so it's bound to be good too. Enjoy:

Ghosts and Goblins remake: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=139257

Commando remake: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173

If anyone knows of other C64-format remakes, please post !

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really shows how lazy the programmers were back in the day.

I don't know man, I reckon they're a lot lazier now!

Back then there were typically only 3 programmers, who knocked games out in a few months completely in assembly without the vast information on programming we have today. You either had to read a 10,000 page book or work it out for yourself. Graphics crafted by hand, pixel by pixel, music composed by generating your own instruments etc.

No textures, no 3D models, no motion capture for animations, no redbook audio or samples, unlimited memory, high level programming languages, 100 man teams with ludicrous budgets... And still all they can knock out is first person shooters! :D

• Administrators
I don't know man, I reckon they're a lot lazier now!

Back then there were typically only 3 programmers, who knocked games out in a few months completely in assembly without the vast information on programming we have today. You either had to read a 10,000 page book or work it out for yourself. Graphics crafted by hand, pixel by pixel, music composed by generating your own instruments etc.

No textures, no 3D models, no motion capture for animations, no redbook audio or samples, unlimited memory, high level programming languages, 100 man teams with ludicrous budgets... And still all they can knock out is first person shooters! :D

I agree mate but unfortunately when games were being cross programmed for multiple platforms often you would see lazy ports or A grade games pushed out due to distributor deadlines..ha nothing has changed.

Only have to look at the versions of Altered Beast out there to realise that! Being forced to play through all the different versions for my appearance on the Arcade Perfect podcast last month reinforced that, doubly so because I hate AB with the passion of a 1000 suns.

On the new C64 game front, it'd be remiss of me not to bring up the best shooter on the system - Galencia. A heavily inspired by Galaga arcade shooter, it'd be the Press Play on Tape GOTY for 2017 if we actually did that ;P

Indeed, horrendous ports were made. Golden Axe on the PC Engine makes me cry, no excuses here as the hardware was definitely up to the task.

Some bad ports were due to laziness/rushing a deadline, I reckon others were just a battle with the limited hardware of the target device. Funny though as sometimes a less powerful system endes up with the best port.

Most C64 arcade ports faired pretty well on average. Admirable for the slow cpu and limited memory, I think the VIC and SID really helped to push the limits.

CPU type seems to play a big part too, and I don't just mean speed. For whatever reason, I always find games running on a 6502 or similar variant to be a lot more fluid. Z80 games generally don't seem to run as nice, despite being technically more proficient. I recall reading interviews with programmers citing that they hated working with the Z80.

On the new C64 game front, it'd be remiss of me not to bring up the best shooter on the system - Galencia. A heavily inspired by Galaga arcade shooter, it'd be the Press Play on Tape GOTY for 2017 if we actually did that ;P

That does look pretty sweet!

I found the 10-level demo version of Galencia and gave it a crack tonight. Not bad at all, I know it's subjective but best shooter on the system, hmmm :) I have soft spots for shooters like Delta, Uridium, Iridis Alpha, Wizball, Dropzone...

• 1 month later...
Did anyone get one

I ordered one monday when offloading a pile of ps4s at eb

Was hoping it was in but seems pre orders sold out

yeah mate. I got one. walked into my local jbhifi today and got one off the shelf. no pre-ordering etc. I'm pretty happy with it, bring back fond memories from my childhood as was my first computer. even my kids are enjoying playing the games. I've loaded up a couple of games that weren't included too.

yeah mate. I got one. walked into my local jbhifi today and got one off the shelf. no pre-ordering etc. I'm pretty happy with it, bring back fond memories from my childhood as was my first computer. even my kids are enjoying playing the games. I've loaded up a couple of games that weren't included too.

Cool. I had just over a grand at eb so went I'll try one as was trying to spend up lol. Got excited it was out today but my order still says not available

Yet to open mine up so unable to comment.

The annoying thing tho is that it only came with 1 joystick, despite having ports for two.

Why do manufacturers do stupid shit like this?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I don't have one but a friend does. He also dislikes the joystick, said it had bad latency and it's not straight forward to run your own roms. He's packed it away, says he won't bother using it as it really isn't that good and not worth the $150.