Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Which pin got you hooked?

bigredbird

Your right the sound track was what made it for me too. Twilight Zone was a great sound track, if you watched the series on tv.

I think if it's not digital for the current generation these days most kids don't get it at all. What a shame. It was a great era.

Sound has a lot to do with machine appeal. Probably a bit before you were into these machines Williams released Flash.

I can't tell you how much of an impact that machine made solely on it's sound. Prior to that machine the SS market was pretty firmly in Bally's hands followed by Gottlieb then Williams and lastly Stern.

Flash with it's organ like music that went up tempo the longer you played a ball for was a magnet for pinball players and many operators cranked the volume right up knowing this.

I remember walking down George Street Sydney with my mates on one of our "Pinball Crawls" and heard a Flash being played the other side of the street and saying that guy is smashing that Flash as it was at full tempo right before the sound stops to just a dull hum.

Not a real easy feat of Flash.

It didn't take long before Flash was everywhere and Williams went into a safe #2 taking out Gottlieb.

Black Knight was another massive hit with it's sound and magna save feature but my favourite of the 3 "magna save machines"...(Black Knight, Jungle Lord and Pharaoh), was Jungle Lord.

A site in Sydney, (Hoyts Electric Circus), always had the latest machine at one end of the arcade up on a 1" stand you got on with it to play with the bottom speaker disconnected an a speaker in a box on it's head and turned up loud.

Jungle Lord was the latest machine at the time and I played it and ended up getting high score.

On Jungle Lord the machine plays the sound of a elephant trumping 10 times when you get high score to date. I looked out the arcade and people were looking for this elephant from over the road. What an amazingly rewarding game that was.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first pin (at the ripe old age of 13) was gottlieb's "the flying chariots",

strange I always remember it as a 4 player but IPDB says 2 player.

Funny looking at the pictures, it seems so simple now, I always remembered it as way more on and under the playfield. I kept that thing running for years, yep still alive and still addicted to pinball... damn I was so lucky not to have been hooked up on 240V! Always had a knack for repairing stuff I guess.

I first played an em poker themed pin in the local squash court.. yep squash courts had pinnies. The gutters were to wide and the gap between the flippers was a canyon. Later on i got hooked on Haunted house. Others i loved back in the day were Harlem globe trotters, Matahari, Playboy, Future Spa and Black knight.

First pin I played in the early 80s was Haunted House. I played pinball on and off but there were two games that got me really hooked. The first game was WCS94 - that bloody thing was everywhere in the 90s. I just loved hearing it shout 'GOOOALLLLL'.

The game that pushed me over the edge into life-long obsession was Medieval Madness. Panthers had one in the sports bar downstairs, TCs, in the late 90s. My wife worked on the bar there before we were married, and I'd come early to play pins to pick her up after every shift. I put some serious coin through that thing. When I finally realised a decade or so later that you could buy pinball machines (don't ask, some things just don't occur to me) - MM and WCS94 were the first two games I bought.

Gottlieb Wildlife EM was the one I remember in the Fish N chip shop around the corner from where I lived. That was back in the seventies.

The one that started / rekindled my obsession though was a Bally Supersonic

I went Overseas in 2004 & came back the following year to a Supersonic in my garage A mate who was staying in my house had bought it while I was away. Didnt stop playing it for 3 weeks till I found a job. Then he moved & took his pinnie with him so I bought a Cosmic Princess on ebay & it went on & on from there. Now I have a 4 car garage that I cant move in. A few have made it into the house also ( No dining room anymore)

I remember as a kid watching timber railed pinball games that you had to bump steer into certain holes to gain points, no flippers, but plenty of skill :)

Me too. But we kept getting kicked out. I thought that those flipperless pins were boring anyway (coz we really didnt know what was going on). I own one now though

• 1 year later...

Gorgar. I was at school waiting for the bus and decided to go to the Markdown or Aurthers Fun Parlour as i knew it. Of course i blew it up. That heart pumping and and those cheap callouts got me hooked. By the time i finished i had missed the bus and had to walk to my grandma's to call my mum to pick me. Lol [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

When I migrated to Perth the Time Zone on William Street had an Earthshaker (prototype) and I was amazed to watch the Sinking Institute actually sink. Amazing technology for the time along with the first commercial shaker motor. Been chasing one ever since. Rarer than RHS.

• 1 month later...

In the 'Olden Days' when I was a child, I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.... sorry, off track...

The first pinball machine that got me hooked was definitely 'Haunted House' Every thing about that machine had wow factor in my eyes. 3 levels, cool art work, great sounds and music.

Funny thing is, when I managed to buy one just a few years ago, it didn't do it for me any more, grew very boring, very quickly.

The next one that had me hooked was 'PinBot'. Beautiful looking machine. Then the game play, with the robots voice at the start, "I see you", then the simple skill shot up the twisty ramp, to the grid of colour targets in front of Pinbots head. This machine had me coming back for more. I have never owned one of these machines but it is high on my wish list. (anyone want to sell me theirs?)