Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

POTC skull projector

Someone posted this for their Spiderman some time last year. (Sorry, I can't find the post right now.)

I couldn't resists and did the same thing for my Pirates of the Caribbean :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112417[/ATTACH]

Cool! I've seen these on ebay with the zombie ones and considered taking a gamble and buying one for my Walking Dead.

Got any more photos of the placement on top of machine? Wired into the game or separate?

Cheers!

Adam.

Cool! I've seen these on ebay with the zombie ones and considered taking a gamble and buying one for my Walking Dead.

It's wired to a 12 V supply I have in the machine. (You can also hook it up to the 12 V accessory socket, or pick up 12 V from one of the supply points in the backbox.) Here is how I mounted it:

IMG_1468.thumb.jpg.5eb12db3f4c4692a10852c006035e3ee.jpg

The shadow light is advertised as needing 12 V. However, if I apply 12 V, it's nice and bright and draws 0.5 A (I'm not kidding!) The result is that, after a few seconds of being on, the light starts flickering madly because it gets too hot. I hooked up a benchtop power supply and found that, at 8.3 V, the casing can shed enough heat for the light to stay on permanently. It's not quite as bright, but at least runs continuously (still drawing 0.36 A). Rather than frying away the excess with a wire-wound resistor, I settled on an LED dimmer, which can be had for about $3 on eBay:

Dimmer.jpeg.22d81a09bc57dcb0249ed32bbb5b98bd.jpeg

With that, I can dial down the supply without generating extra heat in the backbox.

There are similar lights available on eBay that have only 3 W power dissipation. Presumably, these will stay on permanently and won't run nearly as hot:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Caribbean-Pirates-Skull-Logo-Car-Door-Cree-LED-Ground-Ghost-Light-Shadow-Lamp-/162522746328?hash=item25d71c4dd8:g:7cAAAOSwZ4dZIA3n

255437820_shadowlight.thumb.jpeg.86dc5714dfbca3b08f8244fd87a106cd.jpeg

With one of these, the dimmer probably wouldn't be necessary.

Michi.

Edited by Michi