Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball machine perler bead art

ocyen

My wife likes all sorts of crafts, one of which is perler beads. These are small beads that are placed on a pinboard mat using different colours to make images. The beads are then melted together by application of heat to form a single, cohesive mass and all of the colours meld together. This is what they look like:

ce1dcf1ee5c6662e55fd29abe7937b5a.jpg.9c6da33ceb2aba47707bffd5b17b8d9b.jpgmAB3C48VkNB2Vh0B3l4Bl5A.jpg.9c95c8ff034f51ff764e70eb03530f1f.jpgde28acee2b9a96be455a7620943b1ab9--pearler-beads-fuse-beads.jpg.5fe9fb1ad9a54ba36484289bed8f71ed.jpg

After seeing her play around with this stuff for a while, the pixelated look of the images made me think of something: dots on a display. With a lot of black beads and a few shades of orange (or a whole bunch of different colours if you're trying for the Colour DMD look), you can faithfully recreate animations from any DMD machine as long as you have a still image to use as a template. We put together a WH2O splash screen as a test.

WP_20171019_18_37_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.36e2f2f793a6f3898fd6d711e24d081f.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool so thought I would share. It's the perfect kind of thing to put in a small frame and display on the games room wall. Might do some more of these in the future... but for now it's probably the closest I'll get to owning a WH2O!

Wow, that looks great! What size is it roughly?

Thanks for sharing.

It’s pretty much the exact same size as a DMD. Tiny bit bigger if anything. We used the same number of beads as there are dots on the screen.

Roughly how long did it take? I imagine it's time consuming with all those beads.

Probably a few hours of solid work in total. More if you bump it off the table like I did and have to restart! More time was spent finding the right colour beads, getting the pinboards, and finding a good image template. It is very fiddly, though.