Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Screen burn on DMD

felixthadog

Question

21 answers to this question

Hi all,My old DMD on TAF has burn-in, is there any way to repair/improve it?

As far as I know, the burn-in is permanent and irreversible.

Perfect excuse for getting that colour LCD or LED :)

Michi.

LCDs also suffer from screen burn. Give them time for it to start showing.

Interesting. I do not leave my machine on when I'm not playing it, so hopefully I can get good mileage from the LCD before burn-in begins to show.

Cheers,

Matthew

Interesting. I do not leave my machine on when I'm not playing it, so hopefully I can get good mileage from the LCD before burn-in begins to show.

Cheers,

Matthew

Have a look at any ATM or POS screen that has been installed for more than 5 years and there is a chance you will see it.

I wouldn't worry too much, it has taken 20 years for DMDs to screen burn, I would expect about the same from LCD so it really isn't an issue.

what about LED?

They do get dimmer as they age. But the 70% luminosity point takes something like 20,000 to 40,000 hours to reach. If you have a machine switched on eight hours a day, seven days a week, it'll take around ten years to get to that point, so I wouldn't worry about it all that much :)

Michi.

They do get dimmer as they age. But the 70% luminosity point takes something like 20,000 to 40,000 hours to reach. If you have a machine switched on eight hours a day, seven days a week, it'll take around ten years to get to that point, so I wouldn't worry about it all that much :)

Michi.

True that they do lose light output intensity with age BUT they won't exhibit the same "screen burn" effects that CRT and LCD do.

True that they do lose light output intensity with age BUT they won't exhibit the same "screen burn" effects that CRT and LCD do.

True. It's still deterioration, but of a different kind. At any rate, at the life span of LEDs, I don't expect it will ever be an issue, except maybe for games on location that are on 16 hours a day. Even then, it'll be years before they will noticeably dim.

Michi.

Have a look at any ATM or POS screen that has been installed for more than 5 years and there is a chance you will see it.

I wouldn't worry too much, it has taken 20 years for DMDs to screen burn, I would expect about the same from LCD so it really isn't an issue.

I would be happy with 5 years, but 20 years would be better :D

Cheers,

Matthew

The "outgassing" can also create excessive load for your dmd high voltage supply and other components. It's a good idea to replace it asap. I can vouch for the LED ColorDMD, you don't get the high res modes etc. but boy are the colous brilliant and bright... and I would figure they may have better longevity than LCD. Also they are a bit closer to original dmd size and also are slightly less costly. :)

The "outgassing" can also create excessive load for your dmd high voltage supply and other components. It's a good idea to replace it asap. I can vouch for the LED ColorDMD, you don't get the high res modes etc. but boy are the colous brilliant and bright... and I would figure they may have better longevity than LCD. Also they are a bit closer to original dmd size and also are slightly less costly. :)

The colour LED panels will have different problems - reliability.

I see these panels all the time with a single pixel out, VERY common and unrepairable in the majority of cases.

Yes of course. I have heard of numerous premature LCD panel failures also though. I have two of each (LCD and LED) and have experienced no problems with any of them so far, I do prefer the appearance of the LED version I suppose I meant. :)

I did replace my old orange DMD with a ColorDMD LCD, and set it to HiRes. I love it, I wouldn't go back to dots on a TAF no matter how vibrant the colours are on the LED. The larger size panel on the LCD does not worry me at all, and I'll worry about failure if/when it happens, not now when it is working perfectly!

Cheers,

Matthew

I do have to admit I really love the hi-res on my Whitewater! :cool: . Still, the serious lack of brightness makes them look very washed out alongside the plasmas and LEDs in the arcade environment I have here. I know LED segments can go out, I guess I will just have to keep fingers crossed that reliability is still on the improve. Either preference, ColorDMD is Great in my experience! :023: