Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Please can I borrow a flatbed scanner to scan my playfield? (Melbourne)

Hi all,

Does anyone have a flatbed scanner suitable for scanning a playfield I could borrow? I'm in Melbourne.

Thanks, SV

If you were in Brisbane you could take it to inkjetlab.com.au and use their art reproduction 1.2 Gigapixel scanning camera.

Perhaps an art reproduction house near you has some thing similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been told Officeworks have quite large scanners but I am tipping not big enough for a playfield, maybe A3 size, etc. I have called a couple of graphic design and art places near me in the Sth Eastern suburbs of Melb, and they don't have a scanner suitable, although they did say there are companies around with what you are after. Will keep trying. Sorry.

Further info from a digital print place in South Melb: Large format flatbed scanners I have been told do not exist anymore and if the odd one is out there, very hard to get a timber playfield through the rollers (whatever that means). The way to do it now is to use high quality photography and edit/print from that.

I have been told Officeworks have quite large scanners but I am tipping not big enough for a playfield, maybe A3 size, etc. I have called a couple of graphic design and art places near me in the Sth Eastern suburbs of Melb, and they don't have a scanner suitable, although they did say there are companies around with what you are after. Will keep trying. Sorry.

Further info from a digital print place in South Melb: Large format flatbed scanners I have been told do not exist anymore and if the odd one is out there, very hard to get a timber playfield through the rollers (whatever that means). The way to do it now is to use high quality photography and edit/print from that.

Yer thats my experience also, there are plenty that scan posters as they arent stiff and can roll through the scanner. It is hard to find one that has a flat bed that size. There are however people who have those photographic scanners essentially a camera held in place on a boom of sorts, that takes really high res digital photo's, I dont know any one with one but I heard that is more common, museums use them for scanning paintings,

So maybe with a hi res camera you can make something?

Edited by jason1

Thanks everyone. I needed to scan a playfield to send to Playfield Protectors because I want them to make a protector for a title they don't currently have available. Wiredoug has informed me that I can simply trace the layout using tracing paper so a scanner won't be needed.

Thanks everyone. I needed to scan a playfield to send to Playfield Protectors because I want them to make a protector for a title they don't currently have available. Wiredoug has informed me that I can simply trace the layout using tracing paper so a scanner won't be needed.

Good stuff, but perhaps you might reconsider the playfield protector option in that case. There is quite a high rate of unforeseen logistical screw-ups on these where the ball gets stuck etc and these must be ironed out over several revisions. You may find yourself buying so many replacements and disassembling your pinball so many times that a clear coat by a professional would be a better option.

Max

just getting @FLAIMBOY to clear it would be an option indeed.

Absolutely spot on. His work is awesome and only the top PF needs to be stripped saving you a shitload of time just leaving the underneath. Just make sure you secure everything underneath well with cable ties or similar.

• 3 years later...

I was in the same situation as you, I can say to you that you better buy one rather than always loaning one, it's much easier, I can assure you that. I bought last year Epson Fastest FF-680W Wireless, it's a good scanner too, there are a lot of tops and reviews on the Internet, so I am sure that you will find the scanner that fits you the best. However, you decide what to do, if you don't use a scanner on a daily basis, you can just loan one every time you need it. But if you use it quite often, it's easier to buy one.

Edited by Lyponzo

The new playfield protectors are much better than when I first tried them, mostly since going to 0.7mm and improved material. The added height hasn't created any real problems at all here.

They still are not that great unless you have a flat PF to put them on. They don't work too well with messed up inserts, or if they are installed badly with foul-ups (not in full contact with PF) or clamping.

I have them on RaM, TNA, Alien, and Alien Star. They are fantastic when fitted properly, and I'll be using them more on any of my good playfields as they go through usual cleaning, where the conditions suit using them.