Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Turo.com. Private car rental in the US

How YOU doin?!

Someone put me onto Turo.com . I'm going to be taking one for the team, as I have booked a car and will be picking it up tomorrow. This is the car in question:

https://turo.com/rentals/cars/nj/hackensack/ford-mustang/266945?s=86f_Eh4U

I've been to North America twice now and each time happened to drive a Mustang. Purely by chance. First time I bought for $1000 (!) when I was a backpacker. Second time I just wanted the cheapest car to rent, which I booked. They didn't have it ready when I arrived in Norfolk Virginia so they upgraded me to a 'stang for the same price :)

This time around I thought I'd rent one again. How expensive could it be I thought. Turns out, pretty ****ing expensive! And really hard to book. Weird because I imagined they would be a pretty common car in the US. Seems the major rental companies only rent out the top of line models now for some reason (the one I got upgraded to last time was a base model). Anyway, 2007 is new enough for me.

So I'll let you guys know how I get along. Turo seem to have a solid reputation already, and jut like anything with a feedback system, probably pays to be wary of anyone with a shaky rating.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can report that it was relatively smooth sailing. It is also apparent that satisfaction is going to vary greatly according to who you rent off and your ability to be philosophical. So for instance, as soon as I hopped in the car I noticed it stunk of cigarettes and in fact after I rented it I noticed someone put that as feedback. But while I don't like stale cigarette smoke much, I can handle a little especially since it was summer time and I ran the aircon on fresh and opened the windows most of the time I was going slow. At the same time, I ran way over with the miles allocated for this car, which was 800. I ended up doing 1200 odd. But emailed the guy and mentioned the cigarette smoke, and my miles and how the smoke was not something I would probably mention in a review and oh, could he do something about giving me some extra miles. He read between the lines and I gave him a good review :D

Oh, type of renter is going to vary a lot. This sort of site emerged as a way for individuals to make the car they don't drive much do some work for them. The idea being that it would be better for the environment, and for the hip pocket of the owner etc. However, the guy I rented off has enough cars he has a workshop. I asked his mechanic how many cars. "Oh, about 29" :o

So this guy is basically a car rental firm in his own right. Sort of defeats the idea of spreading cars around, because instead of 1 car shared by say several different people a week, this guy owns 29 cars! Hehe. but good on him for making a go of it.